Housing - Moving Back

So due to a loss in the family I’m coming back to the UK, me and my  kids. We don’t have anyone out here anymore and where I live there is currently a housing crisis, I’m struggling to get by and have no help or support out here. It’s been a number of years since I’ve been back and all my kids (born here) are under 3years old. I have dual citizenship and I am in the process of getting passports for the kids. 

My biggest concern is housing when I get back.
Family members in the UK unfortunately do not have room for us as its over crowded for them as it is. I’ve tried even friends but it’s the same deal. I guess it’s a common struggle for us working class to have free space especially when it’s to accommodate a whole family. I’m really stuck with what to do or where I will live. 

what are reasonable suggestions and steps I should take? because I am really lost with this. 

I had thought of going back for say a few days just to try to sort some sort of option out in person, even just to be able to get on a housing list and get the ball rolling. I can’t afford a b&b for longer than a few days. I am saving up best I can now though so I can go back with as much money as possible just to keep us all by. 

My current living situation (here in aus) so because I am relying solely on one income now and because of the current housing crisis I wasn’t able to afford where we was living anymore. Now I live at a share house and me and my 3 kids live in a single room.  I have no other family here and I’m an introvert so I’ve never really had a proper friends circle since I have been here over the years I’d just had my partner.

My family and friends in the UK all say I should definitely come back but I’ve not really got an idea, and neither of they, of how I do that or where I’ll live when I get there. I need to sort this out before I can purchase plane tickets. 
I’m a qualified nurse but with the price of daycare when you have multiple children, cost of petrol, cost of parking, etc. it worked out I actually make less money working than what I do if I don’t work and stay on centrelink. So instead I am currently on centrelink, I study online fulltime, im a stay at home mum, I’m still in a period of grieving, and I’m in a country where I have no family members or any help with the kids.

now you know my situation, is there any suggestions what steps I should be taking? I really need to get the ball rolling. 

10 hours ago, Southeastpom said:

So due to a loss in the family I’m coming back to the UK, me and my  kids. We don’t have anyone out here anymore and where I live there is currently a housing crisis, I’m struggling to get by and have no help or support out here. It’s been a number of years since I’ve been back and all my kids (born here) are under 3years old. I have dual citizenship and I am in the process of getting passports for the kids. 

Family members in the UK unfortunately do not have room for us as its over crowded for them as it is. I’ve tried even friends but it’s the same deal. I guess it’s a common struggle for us working class to have free space especially when it’s to accommodate a whole family. I’m really stuck with what to do or where I will live. 

what are reasonable suggestions and steps I should take? because I am really lost with this. 

I had thought of going back for say a few days just to try to sort some sort of option out in person, even just to be able to get on a housing list and get the ball rolling. I can’t afford a b&b for longer than a few days. I am saving up best I can now though so I can go back with as much money as possible just to keep us all by. 

My current living situation (here in aus) so because I am relying solely on one income now and because of the current housing crisis I wasn’t able to afford where we was living anymore. Now I live at a share house and me and my 3 kids live in a single room.  I have no other family here and I’m an introvert so I’ve never really had a proper friends circle since I have been here over the years I’d just had my partner.

My family and friends in the UK all say I should definitely come back but I’ve not really got an idea, and neither of they, of how I do that or where I’ll live when I get there. I need to sort this out before I can purchase plane tickets. 
I’m a qualified nurse but with the price of daycare when you have multiple children, cost of petrol, cost of parking, etc. it worked out I actually make less money working than what I do if I don’t work and stay on centrelink. So instead I am currently on centrelink, I study online fulltime, im a stay at home mum, I’m still in a period of grieving, and I’m in a country where I have no family members or any help with the kids.

now you know my situation, is there any suggestions what steps I should be taking? I really need to get the ball rolling. 

The first step might be to go see a bulk bill GP and discuss a mental health plan, which will be free. I have no idea how to resolve such an abundance of challenges and heartache, but having the space to talk to someone might help clarify your thinking, or at the very least offer some support during this difficult period.

Also my first thought was that it sounds like you aren't overly restricted geographically, would it be an option to move to an area with cheaper and more available housing, while you save money and consider your options? It wont change much other than possibly giving you some space in your own home while you consider your future and make plans. Which state/general location are you currently based?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Southeastpom said:

Family members in the UK unfortunately do not have room for us

You've posted before, and we've established that you won't be eligible for benefits or housing for some time after you arrive, and that your chances of getting a council house in the near future are extremely remote.  

Bottom line, until you can manage to get some savings behind you, or unless you can get a substantial loan from family members, I can't see how you can afford to go back just yet. The only thing I can suggest is, could you move to a cheaper location in Australia for a while, to give you some chance to save?

• Like 3

If you've returned to the UK after living abroad, you could be habitually resident as soon as you arrive if either:

• you return to resettle after living here previously

• you're deported or removed from another country

You can show an intention to resettle by looking for work, arranging school places and registering with a GP.

The council will decide if you're habitually resident. 

The DWP will also look at this if you need to claim universal credit.

Stay with friends or family on return to UK if you can.

You may not qualify for emergency housing or longer term housing.

You can usually apply for universal credit and get some homeless help within 3 months of arrival.

2 hours ago, Toots said:

You can show an intention to resettle by looking for work, arranging school places and registering with a GP.

You can usually apply for universal credit and get some homeless help within 3 months of arrival.

That's all true, but it can be a circular process and it all takes time.  To register with a GP, you have to prove you're back to stay permanently and not just a visitor, and that means giving them a residential address.  I'm not sure whether schools demand proof that you live in the area?   

Notice that even if you can apply for universal credit straight away, it takes 5 weeks to get the first payment. 

All in all, I think you'd need enough money to survive for 2 or 3 months before banking on getting any help.

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

That's all true, but it can be a circular process and it all takes time.  To register with a GP, you have to prove you're back to stay permanently and not just a visitor, and that means giving them a residential address.  I'm not sure whether schools demand proof that you live in the area?   

Notice that even if you can apply for universal credit straight away, it takes 5 weeks to get the first payment. 

All in all, I think you'd need enough money to survive for 2 or 3 months before banking on getting any help.

Oh, I agree with you .........................  Southeastpom just needs to realise it is not going to be easy.  Yes, she will need savings to tide her over until she finds accommodation for herself, her children and I think she also has a dog.  Her family/friends are the ones she's going to rely on until she's sorted out once she arrives in the UK.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MacGyver said:

The first step might be to go see a bulk bill GP and discuss a mental health plan, which will be free. I have no idea how to resolve such an abundance of challenges and heartache, but having the space to talk to someone might help clarify your thinking, or at the very least offer some support during this difficult period.

Also my first thought was that it sounds like you aren't overly restricted geographically, would it be an option to move to an area with cheaper and more available housing, while you save money and consider your options? It wont change much other than possibly giving you some space in your own home while you consider your future and make plans. Which state/general location are you currently based?

Thank you for the suggestion. I have thought about this but I would have to take my kids with me and I’m not really wanting to talk about my feelings I have a lot going on to like really have time to sit and wallow in it I just need to get organised and on top of everything.

So bascially where I moved from was the city and to is south eastern suburbs in the cheapest area I could find. I chose to do a share house so I also have the flexibility to move when I need to but also because there is such limited options too. I was looking just earlier on real estate and Domain to see if there is a (non share) house in my price range to move too but then the cost of moving and the stress. I just don’t think it’s a wise decision for now. I just really wanna get back to the UK when I can.

12 hours ago, Southeastpom said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I have thought about this but I would have to take my kids with me and I’m not really wanting to talk about my feelings I have a lot going on to like really have time to sit and wallow in it I just need to get organised and on top of everything.

So bascially where I moved from was the city and to is south eastern suburbs in the cheapest area I could find. I chose to do a share house so I also have the flexibility to move when I need to but also because there is such limited options too. I was looking just earlier on real estate and Domain to see if there is a (non share) house in my price range to move too but then the cost of moving and the stress. I just don’t think it’s a wise decision for now. I just really wanna get back to the UK when I can.

I note Marissa said you have a dog - from personal experience it is very, very expensive to transport a pet back to the UK (or to Australia for that matter). Given your financial situation you may have to consider re-homing your dog. I know how hard that will be but it sounds like you have a lot of tough choices to make and this will save you thousands of dollars for moving.

• Like 4

You will get a roof over your heads because with children you will be a priority.  The waiting lists for social housing is very long and no doubt very similar to what you are finding.  You would be offered shared accommodation/bed & breakfast type accommodation until you are housed.  You will have to take the first thing offered to you or lose your priority status and you may wait along time for that first offer.  It’s a shame that your family and friends all think you should move yet not one has one room available to help you out.  Hopefully they will look after your dog for you as it’s very unlikely any emergency accommodation will allow pets.  You may well go on to be offered a flat in a high story building too.  Nothing you can do about that but something to consider with a dog.  Many people have dogs in such places but taking them outside for regular toilet breaks won’t be easy with three little ones.  

There’s nothing wrong with you wanting to come back if you really want to.   I do feel you need some help and would urge you to see a doctor.  Sitting on a flight for 20 hours won’t magically change how you are dealing with life.  You say about support from family and friends.  It is quite possible you may end up living an hour or so away from them so whilst you will be nearer, it’s perhaps not as rosy as it may seem right now.   

• Like 1

First up by whatever means get yourself registered somehow at a Uk address, technically you should be there, but you can always work out a way with good friends or family. 🧐

For example, cheap mobile plan, Uk driving license, Look up NI number and move to address,  any RN status renew at the new address. The more you can create a digital footprint in the UK in advance the easier the rest will fall in place.