Western Australia vs Queensland

Ceebs-x

Hello,

I’m hoping to be lucky enough to obtain a 190 visa this year. I only have 80 points at the moment so a 189 isn’t an option. I’m currently debating about which state to go for though, Western Australia or Queensland. I am 30 so I’m not sure if that would push me further towards one than the other. 

I’ve been to WA before therefore, I’m not sure if that’s the appeal. As it’s familiar. I do have family friends there and I know housing is cheaper than in Queensland. More limitations on job prospects, I work in the medical science industry. 

I’ve never been to Queensland and I know property prices are currently soaring. But to be perfectly honest, they are globally anyway. I also feel there are more job prospects in Queensland as it’s bigger. That said, I’m of the understanding it’s far more competitive than WA. I’m very much wanting to immerse myself in all the outdoor activities Queensland has to offer. 

Does anyone have any insight or advice? 

Cheers! 

6 hours ago, Ceebs-x said:

Hello,

I’m hoping to be lucky enough to obtain a 190 visa this year. I only have 80 points at the moment so a 189 isn’t an option. I’m currently debating about which state to go for though, Western Australia or Queensland. I am 30 so I’m not sure if that would push me further towards one than the other. 

I’ve been to WA before therefore, I’m not sure if that’s the appeal. As it’s familiar. I do have family friends there and I know housing is cheaper than in Queensland. More limitations on job prospects, I work in the medical science industry. 

I’ve never been to Queensland and I know property prices are currently soaring. But to be perfectly honest, they are globally anyway. I also feel there are more job prospects in Queensland as it’s bigger. That said, I’m of the understanding it’s far more competitive than WA. I’m very much wanting to immerse myself in all the outdoor activities Queensland has to offer. 

Does anyone have any insight or advice? 

Cheers! 

Have you considered which state might actually nominate you for a 190?

39 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Have you considered which state might actually nominate you for a 190?

Of course! I know I’m still waiting on the skilled list from Queensland. 

Obviously, if it wasn’t on it I wouldn’t be going there…

1 hour ago, DIG85 said:

Two extremely conservative, redneck states, with not a lot going on in either. I hope you like Dr Who/the Tardis, because you will be travelling back to the 1970s.

Fortunately the OP mentioned he has been to WA before so will recognise your comment for the ignorant generalisation that it is.

Edited by Drumbeat
  • Like 7

I can't say I've met too many rednecks in Surfers Paradise in Queensland but perhaps they are hiding in plain sight amongst the rest of us "Mexicans".

Surfers has everything I want and it's all walking distance including a bulk billing GP open 7 days a week. And if I can't walk it, there is a wonderful tram service.

Is it better than WA - Perth? I don't know. I liked Perth and I have a friend who's been pushing me to go over there 

I need to go back to Sydney then maybe I'll go to Perth  Surfers has the better climate with milder winters. I suppose it's like living in Miami, Hawaii,  Benidorm or even Bournemouth.

On 02/07/2022 at 19:01, Ceebs-x said:

I’m currently debating about which state to go for though, Western Australia or Queensland.

My two cents. I don't live in either state. 

If you have family in Perth, that might be the decider. However, think about how they're likely to interact with you once you're living there.  Family can be very welcoming when you're there on holiday, but once you're settled, they want to get on with their own lives and you may not see them all that often -- if you think that'll be the case, then other factors should come into play.

I think for a 30-year-old, Queensland would get my vote.    I haven't lived in Perth, only visited, but my impression is that it's a family-oriented place. My niece lived there for several months (on a job contract) in her thirties, and she found it too quiet.  After Perth, she spent another couple of months in Brisbane and found it much livelier.

The other reason I favour Queensland is travel.   Get online and check out the cost of flying to the rest of Australia from Perth (because that's the only practical way to get out of WA).  Then compare that with the ease of travel to most of Australia from Brisbane, by train, bus, plane or driving your own car.   

However, if your goal is to travel around Asia rather than Australia, then Perth could make sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Do you like humidity?  Its nice and dry heat in Perth, but I understand very Humid in QLD.

I have lived in Qld on The Sunshine Coast for 19 years, yes it does get humid, for about 4  months  of the year, , but apart from the unusual Weather recently the rest of the year is lovely. My son came here when he was 31, and has no intention of leaving, I can’t help you about job opportunities, but there is  Berghofer Medical  Research in Brisbane.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Both states are huge, and offer vastly different experiences depending on where you want to live, lifestyle, climate, opportunities, etc

QLD out west, Far North, Gulf country, hinterlands, or the SE corner completely different, Same for WA except it is SW corner.

• Like 1