Retirement to Australia

alanothen

I've just registered with the forum, this is my first post. I'll introduce myself: I'm retired here in the UK on a good government pension (I'm a retired military guy), I've just turned 62 (I retired nearly a decade ago, so I'm pretty unlikely to re-enter the work market now). My pension and other income comes to about AUD80,000 plus I'd have about AUD1,750,000 in capital. I'd also have my UK state pension (so another AUD15,000 PA) from 2026. My son (my only dependant) is nearly 18 and taking his A levels at the moment.

My son and I were talking about leaving the UK, I've been to Australia a few times for work previously and liked it, being English speaking would make life easier for my son as he finishes his education and looks to a career (maybe banking or accountancy). Our question is: what sort of visa would we be looking for if we moved to Australia, me as a retiree - my son probably as a student? We don't have any family connections, this would be a new life for both of us.

Perhaps I might also ask for some pointers as to whether we would have sufficient capital and income to live reasonably well in Australia, and perhaps which areas of the country we might look at (my previous working experiences have been in Bendigo, Victoria and in Canberra.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Alan

Welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately I don’t think you have any options for getting a visa.  Hopefully someone will be along who knows more than me to give you some better news.  You are past the age for any work related visa and you don’t meet the requirements for a parent visa as you don’t have any family in Australia.  There is an investment visa but you need several million that you will invest in Australia to get it.  Your son could get a student visa if he intends to continue study.  He would pay high fees as he would be an international student but you may be happy to pay.  There’s something in my mind about a student can have a parent there looking after them but I doubt that would apply if he was 18 and would only be temporary.  If your son went and one day managed to get permanent residency then after he was settled for 2 years as a permanent resident you could apply for a parent visa.  The waiting time for parent visas is very high although by that time you would be over 66 and could apply for an aged parent visa and wait in Australia on a bridging visa.  That in itself has negatives but that’s another issue.  I’d say your income would give you a reasonable life out there but I’m sorry to say I don’t think it matters.  I wish you well. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately I don’t think you have any options for getting a visa.  Hopefully someone will be along who knows more than me to give you some better news.  You are past the age for any work related visa and you don’t meet the requirements for a parent visa as you don’t have any family in Australia.  There is an investment visa but you need several million that you will invest in Australia to get it.  Your son could get a student visa if he intends to continue study.  He would pay high fees as he would be an international student but you may be happy to pay.  There’s something in my mind about a student can have a parent there looking after them but I doubt that would apply if he was 18 and would only be temporary.  If your son went and one day managed to get permanent residency then after he was settled for 2 years as a permanent resident you could apply for a parent visa.  The waiting time for parent visas is very high although by that time you would be over 66 and could apply for an aged parent visa and wait in Australia on a bridging visa.  That in itself has negatives but that’s another issue.  I’d say your income would give you a reasonable life out there but I’m sorry to say I don’t think it matters.  I wish you well. 

Thank you so much - and for being so candid. That really is helpful.

Alan

1 hour ago, alanothen said:

Thank you so much - and for being so candid. That really is helpful.

Alan

You are welcome.  If you do find out there’s a way please do share it on here.  There are tens of thousands of parents in a long queue waiting to get a visa (at a high cost) who would be very interested to know (I’m one of them) 

Good luck.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

You are welcome.  If you do find out there’s a way please do share it on here.  There are tens of thousands of parents in a long queue waiting to get a visa who would be very interested to know (I’m one of them) 

Good luck

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alanothen said:

I've just registered with the forum, this is my first post. I'll introduce myself: I'm retired here in the UK on a good government pension (I'm a retired military guy), I've just turned 62 (I retired nearly a decade ago, so I'm pretty unlikely to re-enter the work market now). My pension and other income comes to about AUD80,000 plus I'd have about AUD1,750,000 in capital. I'd also have my UK state pension (so another AUD15,000 PA) from 2026. My son (my only dependant) is nearly 18 and taking his A levels at the moment.

My son and I were talking about leaving the UK, I've been to Australia a few times for work previously and liked it, being English speaking would make life easier for my son as he finishes his education and looks to a career (maybe banking or accountancy). Our question is: what sort of visa would we be looking for if we moved to Australia, me as a retiree - my son probably as a student? We don't have any family connections, this would be a new life for both of us.

Perhaps I might also ask for some pointers as to whether we would have sufficient capital and income to live reasonably well in Australia, and perhaps which areas of the country we might look at (my previous working experiences have been in Bendigo, Victoria and in Canberra.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Alan

Have you considered south east Asia as a base? If you're son managed to get it into Australia, (possibly after UK degree) then you would be in a position to visit him regularly. I'm not up on South East Asia, but I have heard of it being popular as a retirement destination. Or possibly NZ. 

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, newjez said:

Have you considered south east Asia as a base? If you're son managed to get it into Australia, (possibly after UK degree) then you would be in a position to visit him regularly. I'm not up on South East Asia, but I have heard of it being popular as a retirement destination. Or possibly NZ. 

I've been back to South East Asia, but the answer sure ain't there.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 30/06/2022 at 16:55, newjez said:

As far as I'm aware (which might not be very far) the only realistic option for NZ would be the Investor 2 visa, which is for "Experienced business people who have a minimum of NZD $3 million in available funds or assets", 3 million NZD currently being about 2.7 million AUD.  Age limit 65.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/investor-investor-2-resident-visa

Considerably easier ('only' need $1 million NZ) if you've got an adult child living there, maybe something the OP and his son can think about for the long term?

Edited by GrandpaGrumble
  • Like 2