UK passport renewal glitch

judgemental

My application to renew my UK passport from Australia has hit a problem. I sent in a photocopy of my Aussie passport exactly as required and now that's not good enough. They want an "official" copy, without defining what they mean by "official".

Has anyone done this for HM passports? Does that mean every page ( 23!!)  has to be certified?

Also, does the declaration HAVE to be handwritten? EveryJotP and solicitor I know uses a stamp, then signs.

I know I can phone them and will do so but any help here would be good.

4 hours ago, judgemental said:

My application to renew my UK passport from Australia has hit a problem. I sent in a photocopy of my Aussie passport exactly as required and now that's not good enough. They want an "official" copy, without defining what they mean by "official".

Has anyone done this for HM passports? Does that mean every page ( 23!!)  has to be certified?

Also, does the declaration HAVE to be handwritten? EveryJotP and solicitor I know uses a stamp, then signs.

I know I can phone them and will do so but any help here would be good.

If they have told you what they want then i would provide what they have asked for.

In the past i had to send them my original Australian passport which they then returned to me.

Edited by Parley

Just follow the instructions strictly as described for applying for a new passport on www.gov.uk.

When I last did it instructed me to send the actual foreign passport in with the application (my Australian passport). I did that and they returned it within a month.

I'm sure the instructions won't be vague at all on the official site. If you are following some 3 party site then I would not rely on that at all.

I followed the instructions  on the Gov.UK website, which asked for a colour copy of any current passport, in my case Australian, which I did.

They then said they wanted "official" copies, not what was required on the website, without saying what they meant by this.

This is my question, has anyone had their copy certified and accepted by HM passport, and if so, by whom? 

As for sending the original of my Au passport, certainly not, I need it for travel.

Here's cut and paste from GovUK:

What you need to send

You must send original documents, unless we ask for a photocopy. Your application will be delayed if you don’t send everything we need.

Applicant’s documents

Send the following:

• old passport 
  • full colour copy (every page including blank pages) of any current or expired passports from other countries that haven’t been cancelled

The old passport is the old UK one.

As you can see, they don't ask for a certified copy.

50 minutes ago, judgemental said:

Yes, I sent a full colour copy. I can see why a copy should be certified, just wish they'd said so. I've carried out probate twice, once here, once in the UJK, so I'm all over the certification lark. A little clarity would be good.

However with a lot of things nowadays, if it’s colour there’s no need for certification so it doesn’t make sense

I did this recently in April.  Sent a colour copy of every page of Aus passport plus my old UK passport as requested.  Got my passport 5 weeks later,  I think they have had problems so may have recruited new staff. Give them a call if you are not happy.

I see what you're saying and it's probably the case. I did ring and they said I had to re-send my Aussie passport, and have it certified. The person on the other end plainly had no idea what wording should be used so they weren't looking at passport guidance. Gits.

• 1 month later...