Solaris Relocation for UK - AUS shipping??

Millytod

Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences using Solaris Relocations? They seem to get great reviews on Google but aren’t a name that  come up commonly when looking at international shippers.

My initial contact/quotations have been very prompt and thorough, and interested in any others experiences with them - we are looking at the shared container option as furniture too large for a couple of Movecubes but not enough for a full container. There are some very sentimental pieces of furniture/china in the shipment which makes me nervous.

Thank you in advance!

On 23/06/2022 at 06:23, Millytod said:

Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences using Solaris Relocations? They seem to get great reviews on Google but aren’t a name that  come up commonly when looking at international shippers.

My initial contact/quotations have been very prompt and thorough, and interested in any others experiences with them - we are looking at the shared container option as furniture too large for a couple of Movecubes but not enough for a full container. There are some very sentimental pieces of furniture/china in the shipment which makes me nervous.

Thank you in advance!

Tell the furniture and china to get a grip. It's not all about them, it's the best move for you and your family.

• Haha 2

Seems that they’re not well known by the response here. Very rapid and helpful responses in any communication with them, and so far are competitive with other shipping companies. Feeling inclined to go with them and give the benefit of the doubt  … and then can follow up with feedback.

1 hour ago, Millytod said:

Seems that they’re not well known by the response here. Very rapid and helpful responses in any communication with them, and so far are competitive with other shipping companies. Feeling inclined to go with them and give the benefit of the doubt  … and then can follow up with feedback.

Not come across them before but they certainly have some good reviews. Do they do the loading and shipping themselves or do they outsource that to another company?

For my original move, back in dark ages, I used a highly recommended local firm, only to find later that once they get to the point of loading the container, they handed everything over to a larger company, who I would never have touched owing to their poor reviews at the time. Result was that even thought the original company were excellent, the rest of it was a nightmare.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DrDougster said:

How is this going? I'm looking for up to date experience with moving from UK to Aus and also shipping within Aus. For the latter I'm thinking Toll?

For any moves within Australia, my first move is to look at backloading.  With the huge distances involved, removal companies hate returning with an empty vehicle, so you can get very good rates.  But then, I'm a cheapskate.

On 23/07/2022 at 10:14, Marisawright said:

For any moves within Australia, my first move is to look at backloading.  With the huge distances involved, removal companies hate returning with an empty vehicle, so you can get very good rates.  But then, I'm a cheapskate.

You'll have to educate me here! Is this a way of getting in touch with someone who wants to move there stuff from Perth to Brisbane and doing a deal? Surely logistics companies do all that don't they?

We ended up deciding to go with Solaris as happy with their customer service/detailed answers to any questions and concerns that I had (and there were quite a lot😁). The quote came in just under some other well known shippers. Confirmed that the company packs the containers themselves in the UK and then contract Allied Pickfords at the other end in Oz. 
After paying the deposit we were  assigned a case manager who made straight contact away and has been easily contactable by phone and email. I’m currently back in the UK sorting out our belongings and have dates booked for them packing in August.  As we are only taking a part container they have allocated  2 days for packing boxes/wrapping furniture and then transport it to their hub where it is packed into a container. Happy to answer any other questions inc costs etc and will update our experience as we go along!

• Like 2

Feels like a bit of a minefield choosing shippers as so many mixed reviews from all of them so hopefully some real time experiences of whole the process might be of some value to someone else on here too!
I went through the same ‘get multiple quotes’ process which was where I came across Solaris.

9 minutes ago, Millytod said:

Feels like a bit of a minefield choosing shippers as so many mixed reviews from all of them

The problem with international shippers is that it's rare for one company to do the whole job.  One company picks up the goods, another company transports it, and a third company delivers. And even within companies, a lot of sub-contractors are used, so the guys who turn up to do your job probably aren't the ones who turned up to do the reviewer's job last year.  

When I was in the corporate removals business, I would not touch Allied Pickfords (in Australia). But that was a few years ago now so it could all have changed.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Absolutely- that’s why it’s so hard to choose. All I could do was speak to the case manager about Allied Pickfords and their experiences with using them - no way of knowing if they are being completely frank about any issues that arise and all I could go off was the feel of the conversations. Have to have eyes wide open as to possible issues that might come up.😩

• 2 months later...

As a follow up on this thread - happy with the service we received so far from Solaris. Easily contactable for queries as we went along and the two man packing team arrived on time and as agreed - even in rural Cumbria. 
Everything went smoothly with packing and they were very accommodating and pleasant. We had an estimated volume which the packers also eyeballed and estimated once packed, and went ahead with the terms of paying for the estimated volume intially with the option of paying additional if the volume came in more once it had been measured at the warehouse. This want required and have now received communication from both Solaris and Allied Pickfords with the date of container arrival. 
Haven’t used the Allied Pickford contact yet so will see how we go on this next stage as we will require a change in the storage agreements due to sooner than anticipated container arrival. 

As far as import taxes, you can ship your belongings duty free under the unaccompanied goods allowances when you move to Aus as long as they fall within the guidelines of being used personal belongings and not less than 12 months old. If they don’t fall under guidelines, our shipping company said that they base the import tax calculation on the reasonable value that you give to your items…. which can be quite subjective in lots of cases. Pretty sure it was 5% rate. 

We moved to Australia 6 years ago and only able to ship our belongings now so it is unclear as to whether we will be required to pay duties. No departments seem to be able to give a clear answer on this. When I spoke to customs they said they allow 12 months generally for belongings to be brought in under the unaccompanied goods allowance, however there can be exceptions. BUT nobody is able to give clear guidance as to what exceptions will be considered. I was told to write an accompanying letter detailing the circumstances that have led to the shipment being delayed for so long after we moved, and the Australian Customs will then assess this when the shipment is being cleared. Was told there is no way to speak to anyone at Border Force to get a clearer idea of the likelihood of success. 

Regarding goods under a year old.  You should not need to pay tax if they are purchased for your own use they are really looking for goods brought to sell.  Best to take out of original packaging if valuable though. Alcohol is different and duty will apply to large amounts.

Make sure everything is cleaned well especially outdoor items, shoes etc. any sign of organic matter will trigger problems and more expense on clearance. Opened jars of herbs and spices fall into this category too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, DrDougster said:

Solaris packers came today and were excellent. I guess the proof of the pudding is at the other end though.

UK is grim at the moment - I wouldn't recommend coming over!

I’m saddened by how worried so many of our friends in our age group are, eg 70’s plus. None of them are near being on the breadline, but without exception all are cutting back on electricity and gas use. Some have a smart metre? and keep a check on how much they are already using, and it’s been a very mild autumn while we are here. We have actually been cold while staying with some of our friends, but haven’t obviously said anything. Worrying times, and I think it will soon kick off in Australia.

We had a pub lunch with a fairly large group of friends in our old village, and they were joking, at least it’s warm in here and we aren’t paying for it! 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

I feel there’s been quite a bit of hysteria regarding energy prices in the UK.  My electricity daily standing charge has gone down fractionally with the unit rate rising from 27.35 pence to 33.029 per kW.  Gas has increased more from 7.27 pence per unit to 10.244  although again the standing charge has decreased.  To offset this, households have received £200 in three payments and pensioners like us will get £500 winter fuel payment.  I’ve seen people interviewed on television claiming they’ll pay £4000 a year - they must live in a mansion with the heating on 24/7!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

I feel there’s been quite a bit of hysteria regarding energy prices in the UK.  My electricity daily standing charge has gone down fractionally with the unit rate rising from 27.35 pence to 33.029 per kW.  Gas has increased more from 7.27 pence per unit to 10.244  although again the standing charge has decreased.  To offset this, households have received £200 in three payments and pensioners like us will get £500 winter fuel payment.  I’ve seen people interviewed on television claiming they’ll pay £4000 a year - they must live in a mansion with the heating on 24/7!

I agree, I was just so surprised, that friends who have held pretty responsible jobs in their time, and living in different areas, that we visited were all so concerned about everything. Perhaps even a bit depressed. I hope it isn’t as bad as predicted, and likewise here either.

• Like 1

Activity on this thread has reminded me to pop on a little update of our experience so far in case it’s of interest. Solaris passed everything over to Allied once the shipment had left the UK and contacted us all the details of the ship/estimated arrival times etc. The shipment left promptly and I was actually surprised by the arrival date being sooner than expected. 

Allied then got in touch with  a designated named manager who has promptly replied so far with any queries I have had both by phone and email. We have received an updated arrival of 15th November and they have estimated a couple of weeks after that for customs clearance.  Allied have sent an invoice for a further $500 charge for customs clearance etc which I had been warned about previously. As we’re unable to receive our belongings where we are living currently, we are going to require storage. Currently waiting for an Allied quote for storage at their warehouse and also there are possibly some fees for accessing the shipment to check for damage etc. Will do some comparisons with other storage units.

As you say, while it has been smooth so far, the proof is in the pudding at the other end!  One small oversight by Solaris as they hadn’t passed on our letter to Allied for customs regarding the length of time it has taken to ship unaccompanied goods but has been easily rectified … worth double checking that they have all the required paper work though. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the update - I’m considering using Solaris also for london to Perth move. How long in total did it take from door to arrival port? Also were you using a shared container service? I’m nervous about things getting mixed up with other peoples stuff. I have a relatively small consignment (150 cu feet) but I’ve not read the best things about MoveCube. 

2 hours ago, Lauralee 11 said:

Thanks for the update - I’m considering using Solaris also for london to Perth move. How long in total did it take from door to arrival port? Also were you using a shared container service? I’m nervous about things getting mixed up with other peoples stuff. I have a relatively small consignment (150 cu feet) but I’ve not read the best things about MoveCube. 

Surprised that you've heard bad things about Move cube. Ours left UK 3 years ago yesterday as it happened and even through Covid beginning it was with us early April 2020. It was a flawless process from go to whoa. I would happily use them again should the need ever arise. 

Hi LauraLee

Just looking at the dates, our things were packed on the 10th of August and arrived in Australia approx  4/5 weeks ago. So much quicker than we had anticipated. Shipment was cleared from customs 2 weeks ago (again much quicker than expected as they had warned of some delays)  and has been moved straight  into an Allied storage facility this last week as we’re unable to take it where we are living at the moment. If we were having it delivered that would have happened promptly as they had contacted us to arrange a date for delivery straight after customs clearance. 
We haven’t arranged to go and check the shipment yet and have to pay Allied $260 to access since it’s being stored but will be doing that as soon as possible…. so unable to give any feedback yet as to any damage/loss etc. 

We did have a shared container as only 750 cubic feet in our shipment. I felt/feel nervous about that too and will pop an update on here after we’ve got in to have a look. 

Also as an aside, even though we moved 6 years ago and fell well out of the time limit for unaccompanied personal goods shipments being duty free, the shipment hasn’t been charged any duty. 
I wrote an accompanying letter explaining why it had taken so long and the shippers passed it onto customs. Pleasantly surprised at that outcome! 

• Like 1