Jump to content
Blue Flu

Marihuana to be Legalised in WA

Recommended Posts

Finally the WA government has bowed to the inevitable and appears about to legalise the use of Marihuana in this state. About time IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As long as things don't end up in WA as they have in Portland, Oregon.  Big problem with addicts.  Not so much with marijuana but then one thing can lead to another.  

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/science-space/2021-03-07/oregon-just-decriminalized-small-amounts-of-all-drugs-now-what

"The marijuana products of today are high in potency and can reach 99% pure delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). 1 The THC in marijuana causes the “high” and leads to addiction, mental illness, violence, crime, traffic deaths, and many health and social problems. Research linking marijuana use to psychosis and schizophrenia and acts of violence is uniformly ignored by the proponents of marijuana use. The American Psychiatric Association and other authorities, report that current evidence supports, at a minimum, a strong association of marijuana use with the onset of psychiatric disorders.  A recent book by a former New York Times reporter details the research showing that the chronic use of marijuana leads to mental illness and violence.

What has been the law enforcement experience in states that have legalized marijuana in some form? California just had to call out the national guard to deal with 22 years of growing marijuana “medicine.” In 1996 California passed a “medical” marijuana law. They recently legalized recreational marijuana thinking it would end black market sales. California had over 22 years to get this right. It is a disaster."

What with that and your often stated use of 'ice' in WA, the place could end up in a right old mess.

Edited by Toots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Toots said:

As long as things don't end up in WA as they have in Portland, Oregon.  Big problem with addicts.  Not so much with marijuana but then one thing can lead to another.  

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/science-space/2021-03-07/oregon-just-decriminalized-small-amounts-of-all-drugs-now-what

"The marijuana products of today are high in potency and can reach 99% pure delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). 1 The THC in marijuana causes the “high” and leads to addiction, mental illness, violence, crime, traffic deaths, and many health and social problems. Research linking marijuana use to psychosis and schizophrenia and acts of violence is uniformly ignored by the proponents of marijuana use. The American Psychiatric Association and other authorities, report that current evidence supports, at a minimum, a strong association of marijuana use with the onset of psychiatric disorders.  A recent book by a former New York Times reporter details the research showing that the chronic use of marijuana leads to mental illness and violence.

What has been the law enforcement experience in states that have legalized marijuana in some form? California just had to call out the national guard to deal with 22 years of growing marijuana “medicine.” In 1996 California passed a “medical” marijuana law. They recently legalized recreational marijuana thinking it would end black market sales. California had over 22 years to get this right. It is a disaster."

What with that and your often stated use of 'ice' in WA, the place could end up in a right old mess.

The place is a right mess already  as you put it.  Whether people see it or choose to see it is another matter. The problem with drugs, is that criminalization has failed. Big time. And yes I would extend that to meth as well. It is not a question of health, it is realism in attempting to gain control from syndicates and all that implies.

Why not tax it as tobacco?  As for meth, (my issue is all the home cooks everywhere, serving the syndicates, not the victims who too often are already vulnerable )  if you have another solution please do tell. Just to preempt the normal channels do not work. I'd say drugs are up there with the main issues impacting this country. Time to turn things around. 

Edited by Blue Flu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should not be legalised. That sends the wrong message to young people. More people will think if it is legal it must be ok.

While many have smoked marijuana in their younger years for some people it can become a real problem in their lives. Very bad for health too as people tend to breath it in deeply to their lungs.


Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Parley said:

It should not be legalised. That sends the wrong message to young people. More people will think if it is legal it must be ok.

While many have smoked marijuana in their younger years for some people it can become a real problem in their lives. Very bad for health too as people tend to breath it in deeply to their lungs.

Yes but criminalizing it has proved a massive failure on all fronts. I have been in contact with both sides of politics, The Lib's pushing for a hard line, ALP wanting to a soft line. Meanwhile the state of play proves the status quo a utter and complete failure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another reason in support of legalising marijuana for starters, is that Australia is the leading recreational drug using country in the world. Been the case for sometime. Why for something so accepted within society should this result in a record ? 

Further prove if any needed that maintaining it as a criminal offense simply doesn't work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parley said:

It should not be legalised. That sends the wrong message to young people. More people will think if it is legal it must be ok.

While many have smoked marijuana in their younger years for some people it can become a real problem in their lives. Very bad for health too as people tend to breath it in deeply to their lungs.

Is that any different to alcohol?

  • Like 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Is that any different to alcohol?

Quite different to alcohol actually by not bringing on possible aggressive behaviour. Although I believe, that poster is correct in stating the stuff these days is far stronger than in days past. Hence possible mental health problems for some. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Finally the WA government has bowed to the inevitable and appears about to legalise the use of Marihuana in this state. About time IMO. 

Is this based on the dubious article in the West Australian about the proposed bill by 2 independent pro legalisation MPs?  McGowan has already quashed it.


PR (100) moved to Perth September 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Quite different to alcohol actually by not bringing on possible aggressive behaviour. Although I believe, that poster is correct in stating the stuff these days is far stronger than in days past. Hence possible mental health problems for some. 

You can buy seeds online in the UK for your "seed collection". Apparently you're not allowed to grow them they're not cheap.


Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/06/2022 at 19:56, newjez said:

You can buy seeds online in the UK for your "seed collection". Apparently you're not allowed to grow them they're not cheap.

Years ago my local paper had a front page story on weed plants discovered growing in the plant boxes outside McDonalds on the High Street.  I knew the guy in the photograph pointing at them, I also knew he was the one who'd planted the seeds !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×