Health Insurance for 482 Visa - Canadian

Onward

Hi everyone, I’m moving shortly to work in Victoria on a 482 Visa.

I have a wife and three children. We’re looking for a top-tier plan.

Knowing what I don’t know… I don’t know one insurer from the next… I don’t know if different insurers have access to different groups of hospitals or doctors.

Basically, what I do know is actually very little. I am also Canadian, so we have no Medicare reciprocity.

Allianzcare sowed up in Google search. 

Which are some of the better companies / plans to work with? Thank again!

Health insurance in Australia is governed by strict rules.  They are not allowed to refuse cover, or exclude hospitals or doctors.  In terms of service, they are all much the same.

As a temporary resident, you can't choose any of the policies available to Australian residents, nor would you want to.  Ordinary health insurance covers in-hospital care only, because Medicare covers things like prescriptions and family doctor visits.  

What you need is Overseas Visitor Health Cover.  Google for that and you'll probably find a wider range of companies.  Comparing them can be confusing, I'm afraid. Check for things like:

• How much excess will I have to pay per procedure/item?
  • What are the waiting periods (it's usual to have to wait between 6 and 12 months before you're allowed to claim anything for pre-existing conditions, for instance)?

Also check whether the policy includes dental and optical.  It may surprise you that dentists and optometrists are private in Australia and not covered by Medicare or standard health insurance. Australians have to take out an add-on policy with their health insurer (usually called "Extras") if they want cover for these services. 

Watch out for health insurance policies advertised specially for 482 visa holders.  These are often designed to satisfy the visa requirement and nothing more.  If you've got no access to Medicare, that kind of policy isn't any use to you. 

Edited by Marisawright

• 2 months later...

I would add to the 482 insurance warning: double check the insurance qualifies for the medicare levy tax exemption: 

If you earn over a threshold you’ll be liable for an annual Medicare levy surcharge if you don’t not have private health insurance which qualifies as a substitute and exempts you from it. Depending on how much you earn It can be cheaper to pay for insurance rather than pay the surcharge at tax time. 

I arrived on an Overseas visitor health cover which satisfied the visa requirements but turned out it didn’t qualify for the Medicare levy exemption and I got an unexpected tax bill. 

If you’re in this situation just change the insurance to one that does qualify, even if it’s after you arrive, but every day you’re not is counted and can cost. 

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Medicare-and-private-health-insurance/Medicare-levy-surcharge/