Renewing Australian passport in Australia

newjez

I am planning a trip to Perth, and I wondered whether I could get the kids passports renewed when I was there. Plus get the first Australian passport for my youngest. The kids won't be with me, but I figured it might be easier in Perth rather than go up to Australia house in London. They always make me drag the kids up there and it's a real pain.

I figured I could do it by post from Perth, or even go into the immigration office. Probably easier by post. Might even be cheaper.

I've just done it in the post office last month; it's quick to fill in the forms etc, you can do all that online, but they also need to see the original copies of birth certificates for the renewal, so you'll have to remember those.  It didn't take too long, about 5 weeks all-up.  Apparently new passports are taking way longer than renewals.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

My passport expired 2 years ago. Is that still considered a renewal or will it be treated more like a new passport and take ages?

A renewal, if the information in the following link is correct, and if the old passport was issued in 2006 or later, and the information on it is still up to date, and it just expired (i.e. wasn't cancelled):

https://www.passports.gov.au/getting-passport-how-it-works/passport-renewal

• Thanks 1

On 19/06/2022 at 06:11, newjez said:

I am planning a trip to Perth, and I wondered whether I could get the kids passports renewed when I was there. Plus get the first Australian passport for my youngest. The kids won't be with me, but I figured it might be easier in Perth rather than go up to Australia house in London. They always make me drag the kids up there and it's a real pain.

I figured I could do it by post from Perth, or even go into the immigration office. Probably easier by post. Might even be cheaper.

I'm not sure if the Perth immigration office issues passports anymore - we have to renew ours by post.

If the child is under 16 then they dont need to present in person at Australian High Commission in London( certainly the case for a new application) You can book appointment online but currently there is around 3 month wait for appointments...

Be mindful that processing of Australian passport applications has increased significantly. They are many news reports on the subject.

"Wait times to renew or apply for a new passport have ballooned to 12 weeks, despite the official recommendation from the Australian Passport Office instructing applicants to allow up to six weeks.

Australian Federation of Travel Agents chief executive Dean Long said the organisation was advising customers of an eight to 12 week processing period, with delays likely to remain till the end of the year."