Decided I need a change

mrcactus

Theres always reasons not to do something (and they have been extensively covered), so here are my arguments to do it

- Break out of the cycle, exactly the reason i did it in 2013. Think of it like, even if you go home after 3 years you can go back with great experiences and start fresh in the UK

- FTA will be ratified soon, you will be able to apply and most probably get 3 years without having to do farm work

- Pretty much every industry is crying out for staff, if you arent fussy, finding work will not be difficult. I know recently 2 British Working Holiday Makers sponsored by pubs as bar/restaurant managers, and if youre willing to work regionally even better. They are desperate, like probably never before. I just cant see this shortage being resolved in the next few years. 

- For the first time in a decade pro immigration policies are firmly on the table (enter sept job summit/oct budget), and it is much more likely than not that immigration numbers will increase and requirements will become looser (this can already be seen in the nomination requirements for program year 23, see Tas recent update)

- If you want to stay, theres always a way. It might be stressful and cost money, but there will be a way if you want it bad enough.

- Why not, what do you have to lose?

Edited by draeb

On 17/07/2022 at 15:45, Marisawright said:

I haven't looked at how REISA does it, that's why I was wondering what criteria they used.  However, if they do use "inner, middle and outer zones", then the comparison between cities becomes utterly useless for cities that are different sizes, for any real practical purpose.

Let's say I'm thinking of moving from Canberra to Melbourne and I think, "ooh, the rents are cheaper".  However, when I make the move, I discover that a "middle ring" house in Melbourne is further from the city than an "outer ring" house in Canberra, and therefore in reality, life will be more expensive.  If I want to get a cheaper house, I'll have to go further away in Melbourne, which would compare in commuting distance to living out in the country around Canberra.  

Of course I don't know if that's true, but unless there is a  comparison site somewhere that shows comparative rents based on distance, i.e. within 10km from the CBD, within 20km from the CBD, within 30km from the CBD etc, then I can't make a fair and realistic comparison of like properties with like properties.

This is an example of what I mean, only this is for buying property:

https://metropole.com.au/these-are-the-most-affordable-suburbs-within-10km-of-each-cbd/

Everyone is forgetting in this that Canberra is a complete hellhole and people should be paid to live there not have to pay to opt into that purgatory 

8 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Everyone is forgetting in this that Canberra is a complete hellhole and people should be paid to live there not have to pay to opt into that purgatory 

Dunno, if you have to live anywhere in Australia it's one of the better places. Except it's a bit on the chilly side at the moment. Dont think anyone would ever say the houses of rentals are cheap though! 

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Have you lived there?  Australians love running Canberra down but actually I wouldn't mind living there.  

When I was working in Sydney, I frequently had to visit Canberra for fitout projects. I did a lot of fitout projects in various offices in Sydney, too.   Fitout projects always create inconvenience for the staff in the office.   The difference in courtesy, understanding and friendliness between the Sydney and Canberra office staff was very marked, in favour of the Canberrans.

40 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Have you lived there?  Australians love running Canberra down but actually I wouldn't mind living there.  

When I was working in Sydney, I frequently had to visit Canberra for fitout projects. I did a lot of fitout projects in various offices in Sydney, too.   Fitout projects always create inconvenience for the staff in the office.   The difference in courtesy, understanding and friendliness between the Sydney and Canberra office staff was very marked, in favour of the Canberrans.

Never lived there, been there quite a bit and it seems totally soulless 

59 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Never lived there, been there quite a bit and it seems totally soulless 

Like any city, it depends which area you're in and who you meet.  It's a planned city which means it looks bland, I agree, but looks aren't everything.  I think for liveability, it's up there.

Edited by Marisawright

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Like any city, it depends which area you're in and who you meet.  It's a planned city which means it looks bland, I agree, but looks aren't everything.  I think for liveability, it's up there.

I think part of the issue with Canberra is that a large part of the population are blow ins. Rarely do you come across someone for whom this is “it”. Just looking at some of my social groups, you can count on the fingers of one hand the number of “Canberrans” though that is slowly changing I suppose as we’ve lurched past the 100 years.  Whether that contributes to the soulless-ness or not I don’t know but it’s essentially a very itinerant town. Looking at the cohort my kids had in school, most are elsewhere, a few have been elsewhere and come back to be near their family as they have families of their own.  And for people of my generation, I don’t think I’ve met any who were born and raised here but there must be one or two out there I suppose. It is an odd place because of that, I think. 

However, I don’t really see Canberra as being the place that the OP thinks he might need to escape to. It’s probably more like what he is trying to escape from, I suspect.