Jump to content
mrcactus

Decided I need a change

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If you read the thread, you'll see part of his plan is to use his time in Australia to get some Australian experience in his chosen occupation in hopes of getting PR eventually. 

Not every WHV'er does hospitality work, many of them do their usual job.

Yes I did read the thread.  It's always handy to have something to fall back on though if you decide to go travelling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If you read the thread, you'll see part of his plan is to use his time in Australia to get some Australian experience in his chosen occupation in hopes of getting PR eventually. 

Not every WHV'er does hospitality work, many of them do their usual job.

No one is suggesting that the OP has to do hospitality work, But it’s a good fallback if all else fails. Part of the reason hospitality is so short of staff, as explained to me on Hamilton Island, Is that the island and industry was heavily dependent on back packers, the island was packed, but many outlets closed. and I know from a family member that it’s the same in Sydney. Tracy Grimshaw highlighted this on her program. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Reason being low wages a fewer willing to work in such positions outside of back packers. 

Rubbish. Lots of people work in hospitality. $30 per hour and more on weekends isn't too bad. A lot better than being unemployed.


Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a look at website that has rooms to rent in various locations across Australia and in my opinion they aren't that bad priced. 

Also been on a job site dedicated to travellers, backpackers etc and there are lots of jobs on there. Some with good pay and some with bad. Same as the UK, the really good pay ones require some experience in that particular area but not all. 

 

As long as this trade deal gets finalised /goes through, I'm going for it. 

As many have posted, even if I don't get PR after my WHV's, I've had some experience in a different country. Seeing as I've never been on holiday /left the UK, I think I will enjoy it either way 😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Parley said:

Rubbish. Lots of people work in hospitality. $30 per hour and more on weekends isn't too bad. A lot better than being unemployed.

2017 study by researchers Bassina Farbenblum and Laurie Berg – considered to be the most comprehensive study of wage theft and working conditions amongst visa holders in Australia – found 77 per cent of workers in the food services industry were paid below the minimum wage. Three years later, the researchers found international students continued to experience egregious underpayment 

One eye catching datapoint from the study:

Almost a third (30%) of international students and backpackers earned $12 per hour or less.


British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

2017 study by researchers Bassina Farbenblum and Laurie Berg – considered to be the most comprehensive study of wage theft and working conditions amongst visa holders in Australia – found 77 per cent of workers in the food services industry were paid below the minimum wage. Three years later, the researchers found international students continued to experience egregious underpayment 

One eye catching datapoint from the study:

Almost a third (30%) of international students and backpackers earned $12 per hour or less.

Not in reputable establishments in 2022. Post pandemic, hotels and clubs are crying out for staff. The award governs the wages.

Small mum and dad shops often do illegally employ students who are not allowed to work more than minimal hours. Cash economy, no tax and probably a lower rate. But students who really are not allowed to work are glad to get it off the books.

  • Like 2

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Parley said:

Rubbish. Lots of people work in hospitality. $30 per hour and more on weekends isn't too bad. A lot better than being unemployed.

Okay then explain to me why so few young people will do hospitality jobs?. I live in one of Perth's prime going out areas and there are shortages galore. Plenty of young people of Uni status rent in the area as well. Few are interested in such roles, but home a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Okay then explain to me why so few young people will do hospitality jobs?. I live in one of Perth's prime going out areas and there are shortages galore. Plenty of young people of Uni status rent in the area as well. Few are interested in such roles, but home a lot. 

Why don't you ask them.


Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

2017 study by researchers Bassina Farbenblum and Laurie Berg – considered to be the most comprehensive study of wage theft and working conditions amongst visa holders in Australia – found 77 per cent of workers in the food services industry were paid below the minimum wage. Three years later, the researchers found international students continued to experience egregious underpayment 

One eye catching datapoint from the study:

Almost a third (30%) of international students and backpackers earned $12 per hour or less.

That market is ripe for exploitation on many fronts. But many are willing to put up with such conditions for longer term gain. Like PR. Foreign students making a big component of Australia's immigration intake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Parley said:

Why don't you ask them.

I have spoken to a lot. More interesting though are observations made when attempting to get a Neighbourhood Watch up. I can only speak from my locality of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mrcactus said:

I've had a look at website that has rooms to rent in various locations across Australia and in my opinion they aren't that bad priced. 

Also been on a job site dedicated to travellers, backpackers etc and there are lots of jobs on there. Some with good pay and some with bad. Same as the UK, the really good pay ones require some experience in that particular area but not all. 

 

As long as this trade deal gets finalised /goes through, I'm going for it. 

As many have posted, even if I don't get PR after my WHV's, I've had some experience in a different country. Seeing as I've never been on holiday /left the UK, I think I will enjoy it either way 😁

I think that is the way to look at it. It'll be something different at the very least. Perhaps, if age doesn't nullify, you could combine it with a NZ or Canadian WHV as well and extend your experience. Travel can be very unsettling though . I mean returning to former life may prove very difficul,t being most likely  mundane . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Okay then explain to me why so few young people will do hospitality jobs?. I live in one of Perth's prime going out areas and there are shortages galore. Plenty of young people of Uni status rent in the area as well. Few are interested in such roles, but home a lot. 

As a parent of a child who has been working in hospitality on and off for a year, its not a preferred occupation for her and a lot of her friends due to the unsociable hours. An 18/19 yr old doesn't want to work every Fri, Sat and Sun, or work till gone 11pm on a Thursday night, they want to be out themselves. Thankfully , my child wasnt relying on it as her on going occupation and was just having a gap / play year after graduating.

 The pay isnt bad tbh , from memory it was around $26 pr hour and $36 for weekends.

       Cal x

  • Like 2

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, calNgary said:

As a parent of a child who has been working in hospitality on and off for a year, its not a preferred occupation for her and a lot of her friends due to the unsociable hours. An 18/19 yr old doesn't want to work every Fri, Sat and Sun, or work till gone 11pm on a Thursday night, they want to be out themselves. Thankfully , my child wasnt relying on it as her on going occupation and was just having a gap / play year after graduating.

 The pay isnt bad tbh , from memory it was around $26 pr hour and $36 for weekends.

       Cal x

There aren't many employment opportunities here in Devonport apart from hospitality.  I know 2 sisters who share a flat and both work full-time in hospitality.  One in a cafe and the other in a pub.   They earn an average of $28 an hour.  A new hotel is opening at the end of the year and both girls have put their names down for a job there.  One of them is hoping for reception work, the other bar work.  Both did hospitality at TAFE and are just waiting for a better opportunity without leaving the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Toots said:

There aren't many employment opportunities here in Devonport apart from hospitality.  I know 2 sisters who share a flat and both work full-time in hospitality.  One in a cafe and the other in a pub.   They earn an average of $28 an hour.  A new hotel is opening at the end of the year and both girls have put their names down for a job there.  One of them is hoping for reception work, the other bar work.  Both did hospitality at TAFE and are just waiting for a better opportunity without leaving the area.

I have been doing it for the last 3 months as a casual job. By chance at the start of the year, i heard an interview on the radio with the Head of the Hotel's association basically saying how desperate the industry is for hospitality workers after the pandemic. He encouraged people over 50 who might like to try something different to earn some income to give it a try.

Honestly there is no need to do a hospitality course. I applied for a Gaming job on Seek and got a call back within an hour. I just had to do the RSA and RGA licencing courses before i could start. Simple to do online for a cost of about $200. Also police check and credit check reports.

I am doing about 4 shifts a week at the moment around 25 to 35 hours a weeks but could do less or more if i wanted. Base rate is $28 per hour and goes up for weekends. Sunday is around $40 per hour.

Hours are anti social but if you are single like me otherwise i would probably be home watching tv.

If you have a mortgage and need a high income it is not suitable, but if like me it would be nice to earn between $500 to $1000 a week after tax to help pay for basics of life then it is good.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Congratulations 1

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Parley said:

I have been doing it for the last 3 months as a casual job. By chance at the start of the year, i heard an interview on the radio with the Head of the Hotel's association basically saying how desperate the industry is for hospitality workers after the pandemic. He encouraged people over 50 who might like to try something different to earn some income to give it a try.

Honestly there is no need to do a hospitality course. I applied for a Gaming job on Seek and got a call back within an hour. I just had to do the RSA and RGA licencing courses before i could start. Simple to do online for a cost of about $200. Also police check and credit check reports.

I am doing about 4 shifts a week at the moment around 25 to 35 hours a weeks but could do less or more if i wanted. Base rate is $28 per hour and goes up for weekends. Sunday is around $40 per hour.

Hours are anti social but if you are single like me otherwise i would probably be home watching tv.

If you have a mortgage and need a high income it is not suitable, but if like me it would be nice to earn between $500 to $1000 a week after tax to help pay for basics of life then it is good.

 

 

Yes the girls both have their RSA & RGA certs.  Hopefully they will be successful when the new hotel opens.  They both did the receptionist course at TAFE when they were 17.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×