Visas that count for residency for citizenship

MajHam

Hi,

My husband and I arrived in Australia on Visitor Visa subclass 4/4/18. We had to go back to the UK and arrived back in Australia with PR 22/11/20. Does the time spent in Australia on the 600 visa count as residency for the citizenship application? I am aware of taking into account time spent out of Australia. I’ve seen this asked before and it seems that it would be counted but I would really appreciate it if anyone who has gone through the process taking into account visitor visa time or has knowledge of the system to confirm this for me.

Many thanks

Marjorie

On 06/06/2022 at 09:09, EricT said:

the answer is positive. 

Any Visa would be counted, as long as you've never been in Australia without a valid visa, even a couple of hours. 

I thought the visa had to be concurrent, so if the visa expired before a new one was issued the first one didn't count, being in (or out) of Australia was irrelevant.

The conditions for applying for citizenship when we became eligible 3 years ago to apply after living in Australia for 17 years on a long term retirement visa, were

lawfully residing in Australia for 4 years immediately before applying for Australian citizenship. This includes 12 months as a permanent resident.

You need to check for any other conditions apart from the above,

eg: time spent out of the country that may count against eligibility 

On 07/06/2022 at 14:53, welljock said:

I thought the visa had to be concurrent, so if the visa expired before a new one was issued the first one didn't count, being in (or out) of Australia was irrelevant.

Thanks for the replies.