Jump to content
simmo

Interesting Facts about where you live.

Recommended Posts

I currently live in Greenhithe Kent. 

Famous for (amongst other things) the ill fated https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin's_lost_expedition

E1vXxsYWEAMIcwi?format=jpg&name=large 

also the Thames Nautical Training College HMS Worcester which both my dad and his brother attended prior to joining the merchant Navy 

It was also a popular resort in Victorian times.  image.png.fe5da4042a278be26667ce1fb829dfad.png

We also have the Ingress Abbey https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingress_Abbey

I can remember a friend buying his first house here back in the 80s and remember the whole place being covered in dust.  There was loads of cement works (now gone) which are now new housing estates. 

My pub

PUB REVIEW: The Pier Hotel, 6 High Street, Greenhithe | News Shopper

https://www.francisfrith.com/greenhithe/photos

Now with urban sprawl and many being priced out of London its a popular place to live with the Ebsfleet international station up the road and the main line taking just half an hour into central London, a huge shopping mall (blue water) and about a mile from both the A2 and M25 its perfect for commuters.

Thats where I live (now) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that your local @simmo  The Pier Hotel


Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been to Greenhithe simmo.  When I was in my late teens my boyfriend was in the merchant navy and based there.  I stayed there a few times.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Parley said:

Is that your local @simmo  The Pier Hotel

It is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I’ve been to Greenhithe simmo.  When I was in my late teens my boyfriend was in the merchant navy and based there.  I stayed there a few times.  

Both my dad and his brother were too.  It's changed a lot but greenhithe high street is the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/06/2022 at 00:19, simmo said:

I currently live in Greenhithe Kent.

Is that interesting?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beketamun said:

Is that interesting?

why don't you tell us about where you live beketamun?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/06/2022 at 18:16, simmo said:

why don't you tell us about where you live beketamun?

Serious question, those are facts but are they interesting?  We can do somebody else when you've finished, you haven't started yet.  I've never heard of Greenhihe, what makes it interesting today and what is the most popular activity to do there? Is there greenspace, what's the traffic like, can you get much done?

I see house prices are reasonable for the location, and it's an old river dock town, and it's fairly near where Dr Feelgood came from which gives it a cultural boost. Is there more?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, beketamun said:

Serious question, those are facts but are they interesting?  We can do somebody else when you've finished, you haven't started yet.  I've never heard of Greenhihe, what makes it interesting today and what is the most popular activity to do there? Is there greenspace, what's the traffic like, can you get much done?

I see house prices are reasonable for the location, and it's an old river dock town, and it's fairly near where Dr Feelgood came from which gives it a cultural boost. Is there more?

They are interesting to me. But happy to indulge your curiosity.

It's the location of the QE2 bridge and the Bluewater shopping centre (which is very popular).  The old London to Dover road runs through it and if there's an accident on the A2 it can get very busy. You can get lots done (not sure what that means?) It has a clean modern industrial area at crossways boulevard with an Asda superstore, a Tesla main dealer to name a few. (Let me know if you want the full list).

It has the UK's 2nd largest zip wire and hopefully will be the location of Europe's largest theme of park.

In our neighboring town they found the oldest human skull or something zzz.

It's in the borough of Dartford where Mick Jagger came from.

We have a lovely old church (St Mary's) they have a nice little community cafe - not really a cafe , more somewhere the old folks can get tea and cake and have a natter.

Hope that helps. Happy to answer questions but also interesting to hear about your (and others  towns)

🙂

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @simmo

I currently live in Frodsham, a medieval market town situated between Chester to the west, Liverpool to the north and Manchester to the east. St laurences church in the town is referenced in the domesday book. There is still a market in the town every Thursday.

We have lots of pubs and eateries and some independent shops. Good road links with the m56 and m6 nearby and easy access to north wales. Train links are also ok, running to Liverpool, north wales and Manchester including the airport.

The first welshman to summit Everest lives here and Gary Barlow of take that was born here. It is now home to the rather smashing Amber Snowball! 😎

  • Like 2
  • Congratulations 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

Hi @simmo

I currently live in Frodsham, a medieval market town situated between Chester to the west, Liverpool to the north and Manchester to the east. St laurences church in the town is referenced in the domesday book. There is still a market in the town every Thursday.

We have lots of pubs and eateries and some independent shops. Good road links with the m56 and m6 nearby and easy access to north wales. Train links are also ok, running to Liverpool, north wales and Manchester including the airport.

The first welshman to summit Everest lives here and Gary Barlow of take that was born here. It is now home to the rather smashing Amber Snowball! 😎

Why do these English towns have such stupid names?

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Parley said:

Why do these English towns have such stupid names?

I would have said Frodsham was quite a normal name. They are often derived from the old English language. Ham meaning village.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Parley said:

Why do these English towns have such stupid names?

so that Australia could copy them without understanding the origins of the words.

Edited by beketamun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I would have said Frodsham was quite a normal name. They are often derived from the old English language. Ham meaning village.

I know Frodsham, my ancesters were from Northwich which was linked to Frodsham through exporting salt along the Weaver....one half of the family came from Ireland to build the first iron bridges in Northwich and then Anderton Boat Lift.  

The -wich comes from Norse and was linked to the production of evaporating water in bays (-wych -wic or -wich) to extract salt, which goes back to Roman times and was linked to Frodsham in Domesday.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, beketamun said:

I know Frodsham, my ancesters were from Northwich which was linked to Frodsham through exporting salt along the Weaver....one half of the family came from Ireland to build the first iron bridges in Northwich and then Anderton Boat Lift.  

The -wich comes from Norse and was linked to the production of evaporating water in bays (-wych -wic or -wich) to extract salt, which goes back to Roman times and was linked to Frodsham in Domesday.  

Yes, because we are near the Mersey estuary here it was an important port back then.😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/06/2022 at 23:56, Parley said:

Why do these English towns have such stupid names?

For the same reason Australia has stupid names like Woolloomooloo and Wagga Wagga - because they had a meaning not known to current ignorant generations.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pub in my village is mentioned in the diaries of Samuel Peeps. He stayed the night there and had his horse stolen!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going on the guided heritage walk next week so hope to be able to contribute …

76EFF202-6E45-46C9-93A2-A3F65756B23C.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently our claim to fame is that two prominent Pilgrim Fathers who left England for America in 1620 to enjoy religious freedom lived nearby: William Bradford lived less than a mile in one direction and William Brewster lived 1.5 miles in the other direction.  The font where Bradford was baptised is still in one of the local churches and he became governor of the Plymouth colony in Massachusetts.

Heritage walk tomorrow so more to follow!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devonport, Tasmania doesn't have the great history that any UK place has.  It wasn't settled until 1850 by an Englishman, Charles Oldaker.  There were two villages on either side of the River Mersey named Formby and Torquay.  In 1890 a public vote united the two settlements and became the town of Devonport.

The 10th Prime Minister of Australia Sir Joseph Lyons was born in Tasmania.  He was Prime Minister from 1932 until he died in office in 1939.  He built the family home in Devonport in 1916 and his wife Dame Edith lived there until her death in 1981.

A photo of the Lyons family    .......................  12 children!!

The rambling weatherboard house which was the Lyons' family home.

 

devonport river and bass straitr.jpg

lyons-clan-wide.png

home hill.jpg

Edited by Toots
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Toots said:

Devonport, Tasmania doesn't have the great history that any UK place has.  It wasn't settled until 1850 by an Englishman, Charles Oldaker.  There were two villages on either side of the River Mersey named Formby and Torquay.  In 1890 a public vote united the two settlements and became the town of Devonport.

The 10th Prime Minister of Australia Sir Joseph Lyons was born in Tasmania.  He was Prime Minister from 1932 until he died in office in 1939.  He built the family home in Devonport in 1916 and his wife Dame Edith lived there until her death in 1981.

A photo of the Lyons family    .......................  12 children!!

The rambling weatherboard house which was the Lyons' family home.

 

devonport river and bass straitr.jpg

lyons-clan-wide.png

home hill.jpg

I'm very keen to see Tasmania.  It wasn't on my radar until former F1 driver Mark Webber set up an endurance event there in (I think) the early 2000's.  5 days of cycling, running, kayaking in a race format.  I read an article about it in a magazine and the pictures were stunning.  I hope to come and do an event there one day.

Was there aborigonal inhabitants before westerns arrived?

  • Like 3

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I'm very keen to see Tasmania.  It wasn't on my radar until former F1 driver Mark Webber set up an endurance event there in (I think) the early 2000's.  5 days of cycling, running, kayaking in a race format.  I read an article about it in a magazine and the pictures were stunning.  I hope to come and do an event there one day.

Was there aborigonal inhabitants before westerns arrived?

Yes, the Punnilepanner people (north west coast) were here for thousands of years.  Up near the lighthouse there are a few rock carvings. 

Devonport triathlon is held annually and attracts people from all over Australia.  https://www.devonporttriathlon.com.au/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks @Toots - that looks like a very nice local event - the event distance is a bit short for me to travel so far for though 🙂  

Middle-distance is my favourite, so the Tasmania Half Ironman is definitely, definitely on my bucket list of events.  That's an event worth the pain of packing up the bike and shipping it!  

  • Like 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Apparently our claim to fame is that two prominent Pilgrim Fathers who left England for America in 1620 to enjoy religious freedom lived nearby: William Bradford lived less than a mile in one direction and William Brewster lived 1.5 miles in the other direction.  The font where Bradford was baptised is still in one of the local churches and he became governor of the Plymouth colony in Massachusetts.

Heritage walk tomorrow so more to follow!

OH went on his bike ride this morning and passed the church in Austerfield built in 1080 where Bradford was baptised.  He snapped this Tympanum over the south doorway believed to be 8th century!

740EDBE4-90BC-43B1-92EB-682C0E42C432.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×