Social Worker Jobs Queries

Hi,

I am looking at relocating within the next two years to NSW and was looking for advice on Social Worker job roles and whether they are in demand and also what kind of experience and/or qualifications employers are generally looking for?

Hopefully someone on here has experience in this field or just some advice on where to look for further information would be great.

Many thanks

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

This organisation might be helpful:

https://www.aasw.asn.au/careers-study/assessment-of-social-work-qualifications-international-or-australian-for-migration-and-or-employment-purposes

There is demand for social workers all over NSW which is lucky for you, because Sydney is so completely unaffordable these days.  Whereabouts are you headed?

We are considering Wollongong or somewhere within the Illawarra region. Thank you for the link, we'll check it out.

Degree in social work basically. There are always vacancies in child protection because the burn out rate is so high. So if you’ve got your degree, send it off to aasw for registration asap. 

Edited by Quoll

Which area of Social Work do you currently work in? I can point you in the right direction if you let me know. 

I am a Social Worker currently in Melbourne but I was working in NSW for nearly 3 years. 

You need to get a certificate to say you eligible for membership of AASW but don't actually need to have membership for some jobs. It is fairly straight forward to get your skills assessed if you completed the degree in UK or Ireland. 

NSW Health are a large employer, they have jobs not just in hospital SW but also some Child Protection related jobs, family violence and also drug and alcohol. I worked for them for 18 months and found them to be a good employer, conditions are good compared to UK despite the complaints of some if my Australian colleagues. 

NSW Health Careers - Jobs

I think if you have 2 years experience then generally it is easier to find a job. I found I had to go in at a slightly lower level initially but once I got some Australian experience quickly moved up. 

Edited by kmrg