fiinneed

482 visa cancelled when 417 visa granted

Any advice or help is welcomed please!

My partner was offered a job in Australia with a Temporary Skill Shortage (subclass 482) visa. We weren't sure if I could go on his visa so I applied for a Working Holiday visa (subclass 417). Since I applied for this, my partner's job advised us I could be placed on his 482 visa, so we added me on via the de-facto relationship pathway. This visa is longer term and has no working restrictions. 

I didn't realise I had to cancel my application for the 417 visa, and our 482 visa came through. 2 weeks later my 417 visa came through. I have just found out that this means my 482 visa (which was a lot more expensive and has less working restrictions/last's longer) was automatically cancelled. 

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Is there anything I can do to be able to get my 482 visa back? 

Thank you in advance! 

Oh dear, I'm not sure there is anything you can do.  I suggest hiring a migration agent to see if they can sort it out for you. 

The simple rule is that you're not allowed to hold two visa at the same time, so if you get awarded a new visa, your old one is cancelled.  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022

To be clear, because semantics is important here, the 482 wasn’t ‘cancelled’ it ‘ceased’ when the WHV was granted.  

You may have a couple of options to try, but as mentioned above, you should get some professional help to try and sort this out. It is too detailed for a forum post. 

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

I would also add, if you've got any ambitions to stay longer term (after the 482) then it's really important to get this sorted now, so it's worth the investment to get an agent to fix it for you.  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022