Cobs_Ahoy

Implications for withdrawing visa application?

I have recently lodged a 491 application (but not had my health check yet), but have since been offered a 186 with a better relocation package.

From what I understand, once my 491 has been granted I won’t be able to apply for several other visas, so I would need to withdraw it before it’s granted. Are there any implications for withdrawing a visa application before it is granted, such as not being allowed to resubmit another application within a certain timeframe?

also, my health check for the 491 is booked in for Monday, could I use the results for my 186 application or would I need to cancel this one and rebook once new visa application is lodged?

cheers!

In theory, there should be no issues, but that comment is general in nature rather than specific to your circumstances. You would need to be certain as well that the employer was solid as they are sponsoring you, whereas with the 491 you are not tied to an employer keeping their end of the bargain. It's extremely unlikely that you would get a refund on the 491 application. Straight to PR is obviously a positive for the 186.

2 hours ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

From what I understand, once my 491 has been granted I won’t be able to apply for several other visas, 

This is correct.

Maybe worth a consult with a registered migration agent if you don't already have one.

• Like 1

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Thanks a lot @paulhand , appreciate you taking the time to respond. Yes the loss of the visa money is a bit gutting, especially as I still had a couple of weeks left before I had to lodge the 491 application, but I am trying to frame it as if I would have paid that amount for a 190/189.

The employer is a government health service so I’m fairly confident they are solid, although it’s obviously still a bit of a gamble. 

A mental health nurse told me she was in two minds about making an application - made my day!

• Haha 2

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com