Resident return visa

AndrewT

Hello, we are new to the forum, wished we discovered this earlier.

I wanted to ask for any help and advice you may be able to offer.

I have a job offer in Australia, and am considering applying for a resident return visa. I just wondered if anyone can advise on how detailed or to what extent the job offer letter should be.  I have an initial letter of the job offer from the employer but wanted to give myself the best chance by putting forward the right detail.  

The employer has not done this before but have been very helpful and asked me to do some research to determine the extent of the detail they need to include. Obviously anything can be validated if immigration want to visit or speak to the employer.

I wanted to give myself the best chance of an RRV, in saying that I know this may not secure the RRV but want to give it the best shot I can.

Any help would be gratefully received.

6 hours ago, AndrewT said:

Hello, we are new to the forum, wished we discovered this earlier.

I wanted to ask for any help and advice you may be able to offer.

I have a job offer in Australia, and am considering applying for a resident return visa. I just wondered if anyone can advise on how detailed or to what extent the job offer letter should be.  I have an initial letter of the job offer from the employer but wanted to give myself the best chance by putting forward the right detail.  

The employer has not done this before but have been very helpful and asked me to do some research to determine the extent of the detail they need to include. Obviously anything can be validated if immigration want to visit or speak to the employer.

I wanted to give myself the best chance of an RRV, in saying that I know this may not secure the RRV but want to give it the best shot I can.

Any help would be gratefully received.

When did your previous permanent visa expire, how long were you in Australia and do you have other substantial ties to Australia, which are of benefit to Australia? These are all matters for consideration.

thanks to both your replies, very helpful 🙏

Its been over 5 years and I don't really have ties other than the job offer. We wanted to go back much earlier but there was no real way, had given up on it until the current job offer, it was a bit unexpected really. Also my an elderly parent that had long term illness finally passed away last after years of long term illness.  

If you have been away for more than 5 years, you will also need to demonstrate that you have ‘compelling reasons’ for your absence. It would be worthwhile, in my opinion, to get some professional advice on how best to structure an application. 

You should also be aware (as should your potential employer) that it’s likely to take 3 months or so to get a decision once an application is lodged.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Paul, haven’t been on forum, so only just read.  

We had last remaining parent pass away after 5 year plus battle with terminal illness. Not sure if it’s compelling, they may take view we could have still left him behind in UK and returned. 

The main reason we never applied for a RRV before now was we pretty much thought without a job offer would be no chance.  

Really appreciate  your reply, I welcome your opinion.

26 minutes ago, AndrewT said:

We had last remaining parent pass away after 5 year plus battle with terminal illness. Not sure if it’s compelling

You can have the most compelling reasons in the world, but they won't even look at your reasons if you haven't got "ties of benefit to Australia".  So you were probably right at the time. I'd advise hiring someone like Paul to put the application together to make sure you hit all the right buttons.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your replies. Been mulling the situation.

I note the advice and will seek it, once I have committed to making application.

Can I ask for any advice on the following -  if I am lucky enough to get the RRV, there will be times I will need to return to the UK, not often maybe once a year. Is it feasible/possible  to leave Australia once an RRV is granted ? I think reality is I would only get a 12 month RRV at best. I just don't want to be in Australia and not able to leave to sort out important financial affairs, it would impact me severely.

Really appreciate any thoughts.

Edited by AndrewT

34 minutes ago, AndrewT said:

if I am lucky enough to get the RRV, there will be times I will need to return to the UK, not often maybe once a year. Is it feasible/possible  to leave Australia once an RRV is granted ? I think reality is I would only get a 12 month RRV at best. I just don't want to be in Australia and not able to leave to sort out important financial affairs, it would impact me severely.

If you get a 12 month RRV, then you should move to Australia immediately, buy or lease a property, open bank accounts etc.   That, plus your permanent job, are all good evidence that you are fully settled and committed to Australia.  Then when you come to apply for your next RRV, it will be much easier to prove that you are a genuine resident of Australia with strong ties of benefit to the country.

While you hold a valid RRV, you may leave and re-enter the country.

It's worth noting that there are very few financial affairs which can't be sorted remotely these days.

Edited by Marisawright

Hi I have recently applied for RRV from onshore and awaiting reply. I called the home affairs and they said I need to follow online processing times. Can anyone throw sometime light (1) applying for RRV from Onshore - will I stand a better chance to get a longer RRV period rather than 3m or 1yr. (2) has anyone applied RRV in recently and within how much time have the authorities revert back. The status in Immi acct shows "Received" only.

32 minutes ago, Expatriate123 said:

applying for RRV from Onshore - will I stand a better chance to get a longer RRV period rather than 3m or 1yr. (2)

It makes no difference whether you're currently onshore or offshore.  How long you get depends entirely on (1) whether you have strong ties to Australia and (2) whether you had compelling reasons for your absence.

If you can't demonstrate strong ties, they don't even look at the compelling reasons, so (1) is the most important consideration.

• 1 month later...
On 22/07/2022 at 16:22, paulhand said:

1. Answered above

2. Three to four months seems to be the norm at the moment for applications that do not meet the residence requirement 

Thanks Paul

I applied for my RRV from onshore in June and till date no response or update. I called homeaffairs to check on progress, they said there are some delays. The global processing time for RRV 155 is 95days as published, however, could get delayed if one does not meet the residency requirements which is my case unfortunately.