Parent visa

Gaz59

25 minutes ago, Gaz59 said:

Hi has anyone applied for an 807 visa with the intention of applying for an aged parent visa onshore when the 807 visa runs out.

Regards Gary

Just to be clear, you wouldn't apply for the parent visa "when the 807 visa runs out". If you did that, you'd be illegal.  You apply for the parent visa as soon as you arrive.  Then you'll get a bridging visa which will kick in once your 807 expires.

There are downsides to this strategy which you should be aware of.  Even the contributory visa has a waiting period of at least 15 years if you apply now, and if you go for the non-contributory, you'll die before you get it.  You'll be living as a foreigner on Australian soil, with no access to aged care or pensioner benefits.  Will your family be happy to step in and care for you if you get old and frail?  Bear in mind that you won't be able to hop back to the UK and access the NHS or aged care there, because you'll no longer be a resident there so you'll have no rights.

I applied for a 143 four and a half years ago and I'm fed up of waiting, it costs a fortune anyway and the 807 seems the Oniy option until we're at a compliant age for the aged parent visa.were just back from Australia and visited am immigration agent over there.

3 minutes ago, Gaz59 said:

I applied for a 143 four and a half years ago and I'm fed up of waiting, it costs a fortune anyway and the 807 seems the Oniy option until we're at a compliant age for the aged parent visa.were just back from Australia and visited am immigration agent over there.

Just to clarify, you do mean the 870 (Sponsored visitor visa for parents) not the 807 (which I don't think actually exists)?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gaz59 said:

Hi has anyone applied for an 807 visa with the intention of applying for an aged parent visa onshore when the 807 visa runs out.

3 hours ago, Gaz59 said:

and visited am immigration agent over there.

3 hours ago, Gaz59 said:

I applied for a 143 four and a half years ago and I'm fed up of waiting, 

Hopefully that agent told you can't apply for an Aged Parent visa whilst holding a subclass 870 visa (or whilst having a pending application for another parent visa)?

Yes thanks it's the sponsored parent 870 3 year I think you have to leave the country and also withdraw my 143 if I go with the aged parent route. Then come back at the age of 67 and apply for 804, Pew.

4 hours ago, Gaz59 said:

Yes thanks it's the sponsored parent 870 3 year I think you have to leave the country and also withdraw my 143 if I go with the aged parent route. Then come back at the age of 67 and apply for 804, Pew.

Why not apply for the 870 and leave the 143 live?  How much time till the 143 comes through?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gaz59 said:

God knows maybe another 4 years

If it's only another 4 years then it seems silly to put yourself through all the pain and risk of being a temporary resident forever.   Being on the bridging visa is restrictive and expensive so you'll be much cheaper and have more freedom if you just have long visits for the next couple of years then get the 870 to tide you over.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gaz59 said:

Is an 804 aged parent visa more expensive than a143 contributory visa which runs to the best part of $90k for the two of us

Well, if you want to buy a house while on the 804 bridging visa, it'll cost you an extra $50k in surcharges and fees.  I'd say the other $40K will be eaten up eventually because you'll never be eligible for cheap medications, aged care, or the Australian aged pension.  And on the 804 bridging visa, there's always a risk you could be deported if your medical bills start costing the government too much. Remember with the 804 you'll never get the visa, you'll be on a temporary bridging visa for the rest of your life. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Well, if you want to buy a house while on the 804 bridging visa, it'll cost you an extra $50k in surcharges and fees.  I'd say the other $40K will be eaten up eventually because you'll never be eligible for cheap medications, aged care, or the Australian aged pension.  And on the 804 bridging visa, there's always a risk you could be deported if your medical bills start costing the government too much. Remember with the 804 you'll never get the visa, you'll be on a temporary bridging visa for the rest of your life. 

We were on a temporary long term self funded retirement visa ( no longer available) for 17 years before getting pathway 143 PR visa  2 years ago. Our visa had different conditions to the 804 visa, but even though we could technically live here long term, I never quite felt safe. The government is notorious for changing visa conditions retrospectively, leaving many potential immigrants lives shattered. This happened to our son, and thousands of other students when on a student visa.

To me it’s a no brainer, a PR visa every time over a temporary insecure visa, yes it’s not cheap, but so well worth it to feel finally really settled, without the slight continuous concern in the background that perhaps one day visa conditions might change and we would be made to leave.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Gaz59 said:

Is an 804 aged parent visa more expensive than a143 contributory visa which runs to the best part of $90k for the two of us

The fees for a 804 are obviously much much lower.  You have to look at the extra costs involved in living as a foreigner in a foreign country for the rest of your life. 

For instance, if you want to buy a home on the 804, you'll be up for fees of around $45k, because you'll be classed as a " foreign investor". 

Then there's extra health costs, for instance the difference between paying $30 or $40 per presciption item on reciprocal Medicare, or $6 per item if you're on the 143.   In old age where you may be taking blood pressure pills, cholesterol pills etc etc, that can mount up very fast.  

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The fees for a 804 are obviously much much lower.  You have to look at the extra costs involved in living as a foreigner in a foreign country for the rest of your life. 

For instance, if you want to buy a home on the 804, you'll be up for fees of around $45k, because you'll be classed as a " foreign investor". 

Then there's extra health costs, for instance the difference between paying $30 or $40 per presciption item on reciprocal Medicare, or $6 per item if you're on the 143.   In old age where you may be taking blood pressure pills, cholesterol pills etc etc, that can mount up very fast.  

How do you get prescriptions for $6 on the 143 visa , I thought you only got that if you hold a Commonwealth Seniors Card and the issue for that it is income related plus four years at least on PR

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, palaceboy1 said:

How do you get prescriptions for $6 on the 143 visa , I thought you only got that if you hold a Commonwealth Seniors Card and the issue for that it is income related plus four years at least on PR

We don’t get prescriptions for $6 on the 143 visa until we reach the PBS safety net.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, palaceboy1 said:

True, but the income test for the Commonwealth Seniors Card is fairly lenient, it doesn't take assets into account.  And as @ramot points out, even if you don't qualify for the Seniors Card, you can apply for the Safety Net.   It's true there is a wait after you've got your visa but that is only 4 years which compares to forever on the 804.

12 hours ago, Gaz59 said:

Thanks for all replies were going around in circles the options are  straight forward.

If its that straightforward why are you asking for views on it?

You have some answers from a respected migration agent. I hope you have taken his comments on board?