IVF - blue (interim) medicare card?

Dexy

Hi all

We are here on TSS 482 visas.  British citizens with a reciprocal 'visitor' medicare card (yellow colour). 

Were referred for IVF.  Clinic very happy to treat us but said we needed to wait until we had full medicare.  The visitor (yellow) medicare card excludes ART (assisted reproductive technology).

We have today applied for PR and I gather we are now eligible to get a blue (interim) medicare card.  The medicare helpline today told me that the blue card is equivalent to the green card that citizens and PR get, and the bloke seemed to think it would therefore be worth us applying for that to get the ball rolling with the IVF.  He didn't seem quite sure though..

I can't find any clear answers online because I am not 100% sure if Brits who already have the yellow medicare card are even eligible for the blue card!  Or if that is for people from countries where there is no reciprocal agreement.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thank you

6 hours ago, psuwara said:

The cost of IVF in a public clinic is around $2000 per cycle, which is insanely cheap compared to private.

But this pricing does need full medicare, correct.

Just to add, we have a blue interim medicare card, and that's a full medicare card.

Thanks, I will apply for the blue and see what happens….would still be really grateful to hear if anyone who already had a yellow Medicare card (eg a Brit) got a blue one while their PR application was underway….