13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

They're in Sydney.  Even AirBnB is $200 a night there.

Perth seems to be cheaper , I'm arriving next month , booked an AirBnB for  2.5 month  at just over A$ 7.5k , roughly  A$100 a night . hopefully I have bought  a house by the end of that term.

I'm in my 60's, never too late to have a crack at it again  🙂

• Like 2

Perth is a nice enough place, but far too boring for us

• Like 2

On 08/05/2022 at 20:06, Bulya said:

Saying ‘football’ here is meaningless.  There are four kinds of ‘football’ so you’ll need to be specific.  ‘Football’’ is soccer.  Rugby (Union) is a very minor game, unlike Rugby (League).  And different kinds of ‘football’ dominate in different states/territories.  For instance if you were talking to people in SA/WA/Tasmania and Polly Farmer came up in conversation they’d all know he was the legendary tap ruckman.  If you mentioned his name in say Qld/NSW they’d wonder what’s so special about a farmer nicknamed ‘Polly’.  It’s a different world here…

Having 4 kinds of footie, 5 if you include American - is a positive advantage - "Triple 'S'" in my case - "Spurs, Storm & League Swans" - football, Rugby League, Aussie Rules. When the English football season finishes next week, I'll have RL And 'Rules' to sustain me till August. I'm not so keen on RU but NSW, QLD and ACT all have teams in the Super League (?)

NSW and QLD - both RL states also have 2 Aussie Rules teams which compete in the AFL and Melbourne, hotbed of Aussie Rules nevertheless has a thriving team - Storm - in the NRL.

Some people can be "one-eyed" about the code of football they like - "aerial ping pong" , "bum sniffers", "wog ball" - Aussie Rules, both types of rugby, soccer (because of it's "ethnic" popularity. Some Pommies are the same. "I'm not interested in that Aussie crap." Which I think is a shame because once you find a team to follow, like me, you have something to talk about.  I asked two young larrikins from Wagga to help me with my NRL tips in the comp at the Surf Club. The club runs two tipping competitions for both NRL and AFL and some people do both. They'll usually have an NRL game on one screen and an AFL game on another. I watched the Giants v Carlton in Finn McCools pub yesterday with a friend who likes Carlton whilst keeping an eye on NRL games and another AFL game.

Next month is "Origin" - ie State of Origin, "state against state, mate against message", QLD v NSW, arguably more important than Australia v England and my favourite sporting event.

You can often find a pub, bar or club which shows the English, Scottish and European football games and supporters' clubs which meet to watch games. I think my team Tottenham is having its "national" meet up in Newcastle (NSW) now.

So, depending on whom I'm talking to and whichever code they like I have something to talk about with them. And if they like more than one, so much the better. Many of the Spurs fans I meet are homegrown Aussies, not homesick Pommies.

1 hour ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Having 4 kinds of footie, 5 if you include American - is a positive advantage - "Triple 'S'" in my case - "Spurs, Storm & League Swans" - football, Rugby League, Aussie Rules. When the English football season finishes next week, I'll have RL And 'Rules' to sustain me till August. I'm not so keen on RU but NSW, QLD and ACT all have teams in the Super League (?)

NSW and QLD - both RL states also have 2 Aussie Rules teams which compete in the AFL and Melbourne, hotbed of Aussie Rules nevertheless has a thriving team - Storm - in the NRL.

Some people can be "one-eyed" about the code of football they like - "aerial ping pong" , "bum sniffers", "wog ball" - Aussie Rules, both types of rugby, soccer (because of it's "ethnic" popularity. Some Pommies are the same. "I'm not interested in that Aussie crap." Which I think is a shame because once you find a team to follow, like me, you have something to talk about.  I asked two young larrikins from Wagga to help me with my NRL tips in the comp at the Surf Club. The club runs two tipping competitions for both NRL and AFL and some people do both. They'll usually have an NRL game on one screen and an AFL game on another. I watched the Giants v Carlton in Finn McCools pub yesterday with a friend who likes Carlton whilst keeping an eye on NRL games and another AFL game.

Next month is "Origin" - ie State of Origin, "state against state, mate against message", QLD v NSW, arguably more important than Australia v England and my favourite sporting event.

You can often find a pub, bar or club which shows the English, Scottish and European football games and supporters' clubs which meet to watch games. I think my team Tottenham is having its "national" meet up in Newcastle (NSW) now.

So, depending on whom I'm talking to and whichever code they like I have something to talk about with them. And if they like more than one, so much the better. Many of the Spurs fans I meet are homegrown Aussies, not homesick Pommies.

I’ll follow anything except g ball.  Raiders, Swans/GWS for me.  Daughter took me to Manuka Oval last year for my first AFL games in nearly 50 years and it was such a different game than it was in the 70’s.