HappyHeart

Taking glasses home from the pub

Is this ever acceptable behaviour? Do you do this? 

5 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

It’s theft.  Is it a pommy thing?

6 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

No its theft!   Publicans have tight margins as it is.   If you make friends with them and ask nicely if they are getting rid of any , they normally have some that the widget things are wearing away and will let you have them.  I have loads of stella, san miguell, perony and budweiser glasses, bar mats and stuff because I asked nicely.

used to...when they brought out nice ones as special editions, usually when launching a new beer.  Still got a Grolsch handled pint mug from about 25 years ago

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Do you think stealing is ever acceptable?

I wouldnt do it now but as a young man i did pinch a nice glass ashtray one time from a pub. It used to sit on my desk at work with paper clips and things in it. I doubt the pub paid for them/ Probably free-bees from their supplier.

But no. How can it be acceptable?

Edited by Parley
  • Like 2

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

On 25/04/2022 at 22:26, Bulya said:

I remember a long drunken conversation with a friend, where she was trying to stuff as many glasses as possible into her bottomless handbag, and I was trying to talk her out of it as the barman had his eye on us!!

She was an Aussie, not an ounce of pommy in her!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/04/2022 at 22:26, Bulya said:

No. Its a dishonest thing.

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

It most certainly is.

On 25/04/2022 at 15:01, HappyHeart said:

The question should be perhaps when unacceptable behaviour ever stopped anybody doing anything? Especially if confident of not being caught. The closest I've got to complete your question is the removal of beer mats. Does that count? 

On 25/04/2022 at 20:26, Bulya said:

No believe me. Witnessed Aussies in Asia removing tokens from bars and the like. Perhaps it is not thought of as theft in a foreign land while on holiday? (together with the appalling behaviour) So it's not a 'Pommy thing' 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

No believe me. Witnessed Aussies in Asia removing tokens from bars and the like. Perhaps it is not thought of as theft in a foreign land while on holiday? (together with the appalling behaviour) So it's not a 'Pommy thing' 

No it's not acceptable behaviour no matter who's doing the nicking.  Can we just quit with the who is the worst at it   ..................  Poms or Australians.  Pathetic.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

The question should be perhaps when unacceptable behaviour ever stopped anybody doing anything? Especially if confident of not being caught. The closest I've got to complete your question is the removal of beer mats. Does that count? 

No. I thought you were a renegade? 

1 hour ago, Toots said:

No it's not acceptable behaviour no matter who's doing the nicking.  Can we just quit with the who is the worst at it   ..................  Poms or Australians.  Pathetic.

Who is pathetic? Perhaps better addressed to the author that instigated the post questioning if a Pommy thing, don't you think? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

No. I thought you were a renegade? 

Why in heavens would you think that? A renegade is a turn coat from my reckoning. I'm if anything consistent in my utterances and world view . 

3 hours ago, Parley said:

Is breaking the law as stands ever acceptable? Is dishonesty a moral infringement or a legal one? 

4 hours ago, Nemesis said:

I remember a long drunken conversation with a friend, where she was trying to stuff as many glasses as possible into her bottomless handbag, and I was trying to talk her out of it as the barman had his eye on us!!

She was an Aussie, not an ounce of pommy in her!

Surely a teeny weeny bit tarnished by a different brush? . 

25 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Who is pathetic? Perhaps better addressed to the author that instigated the post questioning if a Pommy thing, don't you think? 

Nobody is pathetic.  The whole 'who is worse/better'   -  the Poms or the Aussies is pathetic.  Narrow minded and childish.  It's probably been going on since this forum started so there will likely be no end to it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Toots said:

Nobody is pathetic.  The whole 'who is worse/better'   -  the Poms or the Aussies is pathetic.  Narrow minded and childish.  It's probably been going on since this forum started so there will likely be no end to it.

But surely the nature of the forum that being Poms in OZ is bound to lead to comparisons of one sort or another? While some will be tongue firmly in cheek , others will have different takes on the matter. The only narrow minded behaviour I have found is the seemingly desire to belittle another or take then down, often over a subject the responder is appallingly ignorant in. I don't see the broader subject of Poms versus Aussies as much more than banter in the main.  

7 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

But surely the nature of the forum that being Poms in OZ is bound to lead to comparisons of one sort or another? While some will be tongue firmly in cheek , others will have different takes on the matter. The only narrow minded behaviour I have found is the seemingly desire to belittle another or take then down, often over a subject the responder is appallingly ignorant in. I don't see the broader subject of Poms versus Aussies as much more than banter in the main.  

Yes of course.

It's the England/Australia is a dump that's narrow minded.   There are places in both countries I wouldn't set foot in.  I have wonderful memories of the UK and to this day (after 40 years) still miss my good friends.  Perhaps I've been fortunate here.  Never lived in a dump (apart from a couple of dodgy rentals) made good long term friends and find my life happy and interesting.  I think the older I get, my tolerance for whingers about either country is rapidly approaching zero.  😬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Yes of course.

It's the England/Australia is a dump that's narrow minded.   There are places in both countries I wouldn't set foot in.  I have wonderful memories of the UK and to this day (after 40 years) still miss my good friends.  Perhaps I've been fortunate here.  Never lived in a dump (apart from a couple of dodgy rentals) made good long term friends and find my life happy and interesting.  I think the older I get, my tolerance for whingers about either country is rapidly approaching zero.  😬

It's simply another take on things which you may not agree with but surely barely worth commenting on as others will have another view. If dump is how they find it then so be. My view is we need far less apathy and complacency  and far more speaking out be it in either country. But times I have raised issues of serious concern impacting an entire locality I have been censured at length , by the ignorant, at least I hope that is what they are , but regardless the end result may well be the conclusion of living in a dump. 

But back on subject. As for nicking beer glasses, surely it would only be promotional ones, with a logo or similar attached? I suspect the breweries already make allowances for breakage and removal in the pricing. I would assume ordinary beer glasses would not be targeted , I mean those without a logo of some sort?  

Posted (edited)
On 25/04/2022 at 08:01, HappyHeart said:

I used to when I was at uni. I know my kids do. But with so much CCTV around now I wouldn't risk it. Plus you can buy them cheap on Amazon, and pubs are struggling enough ATM.

I used to have a redback glass that was a treasured possession until it broke recently. I'd had it so long the redback had worn off.

Edited by newjez

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

6 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

But back on subject. As for nicking beer glasses, surely it would only be promotional ones, with a logo or similar attached? I suspect the breweries already make allowances for breakage and removal in the pricing. I would assume ordinary beer glasses would not be targeted , I mean those without a logo of some sort?  

Thanks for getting the thread back on track 

Most of the breweries and wineries have their glasses for sale. There’s some lovely ones out there. I’m a sucker for a nice glass. Makes the drink taste better. Cannot abide stemless wine glasses though. Practical yes, but not for me. 

• Like 1