Extra shipping costs UK - Perth

emmajane0429

Hi, I am trying to decide between decluttering and taking a move cube with just my decent belongings or taking everything with a removal company.

The removal company have quoted me between £5000 (708cubic feet which would be to get rid of some bits of large furniture I'm not that bothered about) and £7000 (full 20ft container, take everything) . They told me that i would have to pay approx $500 clearance fee in Australia

My Move cube quote for a medium cube which would mean really getting rid of most my furniture (my furniture is not great anyway!) is £1132.00 which i thought was great but on closer inspections i have to pay a further $1512.00 for clearance and transfer in Australia.

Can anyone tell me if these clearance costs seem correct, if move cube is so much why is the removal company only $500? Maybe $500 is not accurite.

Has anyone moved recently and can advise what they paid once in Australia

Thanks

8 hours ago, emmajane0429 said:

Hi, I am trying to decide between decluttering and taking a move cube with just my decent belongings or taking everything with a removal company.

The clearance and transfer fees are always an estimate and can be very inaccurate, so it's hard to judge.

I'd say the important thing is to look at the value of the stuff you'll have to throw away.  You may not be "that bothered' about it, but how much will it cost you to replace?  

For instance, the difference between the smaller container and the larger one is £2000.  Go to HarveyNorman.com.au or Ikea.com.au (depending on your tastes) and work out how much it will cost to replace that furniture - will be it more than that? Remember that when you arrive, you won't be able to pick and choose exactly what you want, because you'll have to furnish your whole house in a hurry, so you'll be stuck with whatever's in stock.

Why a medium cube rather than a large cube?  Likewise, get online and do a trial shop, because you're probably underestimating how much it will cost to replace all the stuff you leave behind.   Imagine you're standing in an empty house and you need everything - pots, pans, towels, bedlinen, crockery, cutlery, utensils, kitchen appliances, fridge, washer, dryer, TV, tools. Again, Ikea and HarveyNorman, or PetersofKensington if you like quality stuff.  

Some people buy cheap-and-nasty when they first arrive to get over that hump, but it's false economy - all you're doing is kicking the cost of buying decent stuff further into the future, and meanwhile you have to live with the cheap-and-nasty for how many years?   

Declutter anyway then estimate the replacement costs of the stuff (in Australia) you are taking, you will need to do this anyway for insurance. It used to be a no brainer with shipping costing much less than replacements in Australia, but with shipping costs rising……

Move cubes are great and the extra charge isn’t just customs but delivery in Aus which will be included in the container quote, that will vary on distance etc. Also bear in mind the time for your stuff to get here, estimates by shipping companies are usually very optimistic! Often better to send it early and make do your end with borrowed stuff than camp in an empty rental after you move out of temp accommodation.

• Like 1

your container quotation will include pickup/delivery at destination of your goods and probably packing and unpacking . The $500 is most likely for the customs clearance , the usual fee for a 20" container if nothing is flagged  during the inspection to not pass . there is also a $80 port handling charge for Fremantle.

the move cube Oz part of the quotation includes the delivery, not too sure about the door-to-door price as every quote if done only shows depot pick-up

in regards to select what to take and what not :

i'm going through  the same process at the moment ( having done it a couple of times before)  , and I thought Move cube was more expensive as using a shared container load , a medium cube is only  ~110 cubic feet , if you break it down the cost by cubic feet . 

I've gone through my house measured the cubic feet of items in questions  ,multiplied it by the cost per cubic feet of my quotations , then decided if it's worth or not .

On 22/04/2022 at 23:16, Marisawright said:

The clearance and transfer fees are always an estimate and can be very inaccurate, so it's hard to judge.

I'd say the important thing is to look at the value of the stuff you'll have to throw away.  You may not be "that bothered' about it, but how much will it cost you to replace?  

For instance, the difference between the smaller container and the larger one is £2000.  Go to HarveyNorman.com.au or Ikea.com.au (depending on your tastes) and work out how much it will cost to replace that furniture - will be it more than that? Remember that when you arrive, you won't be able to pick and choose exactly what you want, because you'll have to furnish your whole house in a hurry, so you'll be stuck with whatever's in stock.

Why a medium cube rather than a large cube?  Likewise, get online and do a trial shop, because you're probably underestimating how much it will cost to replace all the stuff you leave behind.   Imagine you're standing in an empty house and you need everything - pots, pans, towels, bedlinen, crockery, cutlery, utensils, kitchen appliances, fridge, washer, dryer, TV, tools. Again, Ikea and HarveyNorman, or PetersofKensington if you like quality stuff.  

Some people buy cheap-and-nasty when they first arrive to get over that hump, but it's false economy - all you're doing is kicking the cost of buying decent stuff further into the future, and meanwhile you have to live with the cheap-and-nasty for how many years?   

I just think once you go for the large cube at £3500 its getting towards using a container anyway. We have somewhere fully equipped to stay when we get there for as long as we want so have the time to start collecting what we need so just bringing out kitchen equipment and personal items like ornaments, pictures etc means we can just keep an eye out for any furniture bargains, I know in Perth people are constantly getting rid of furniture. Thanks for the Harvey Norman tip, i totally forgot bout that shop

On 23/04/2022 at 11:19, RandL said:

your container quotation will include pickup/delivery at destination of your goods and probably packing and unpacking . The $500 is most likely for the customs clearance , the usual fee for a 20" container if nothing is flagged  during the inspection to not pass . there is also a $80 port handling charge for Fremantle.

the move cube Oz part of the quotation includes the delivery, not too sure about the door-to-door price as every quote if done only shows depot pick-up

in regards to select what to take and what not :

i'm going through  the same process at the moment ( having done it a couple of times before)  , and I thought Move cube was more expensive as using a shared container load , a medium cube is only  ~110 cubic feet , if you break it down the cost by cubic feet . 

I've gone through my house measured the cubic feet of items in questions  ,multiplied it by the cost per cubic feet of my quotations , then decided if it's worth or not .

Thanks for the tip, I actually marked down the move cube space on my floor over the weekend and realised it was going to cost me approx £160 to send over a box of the kids toys, totally not worth it seeing as they rarely get played with. The American fridge would also cost more than its now worth so i think we have decided to just be brutal and take the bare minimum. So I'm busy ebaying everything in site.

Have you decided on a company yourself? Im wondering if there is anyone else like move cube that may be cheaper

no, we looked at loads , there are good and bad stories about everybody ...  we will stick to a container , cost per cubic feet works out  to roughly £7.50 where the move cubes were more like £16.00.

also have a look at https://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au , https://www.jbhifi.com.au , https://www.appliancesonline.com.auhttps://www.freedom.com.au or  little bit more left field https://www.empirehome.com.au  ( Osborne Park , heaps of options on Scarborough Beach road ) ), https://www.eastwestdesign.com.au (Fremantle)