Moving back to UK in retirement.

Jennyrose Shields

You could buy one cash from Aus. To avoid  the extra foreign buyer stamp duty you would need to be resident in UK. I am not sure if there is a time but if you can show you have returned permanently you should be OK.

When you say health issues you are aware that the NHS is not the same as it was and waiting lists and access are pretty poor nowadays. 

30 minutes ago, Jennyrose Shields said:

Due to health reasons having to move back to the uk under 67 pension age . 
citizens of both countries how long do you have to live in the uk till we can buy a small home in cash 

Out of interest, what health issues can only be managed in the UK?

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Out of interest, what health issues can only be managed in the UK?

I doubt if OP was suggesting any particular health issue could only be managed in UK. Far more likely a return to family and the familiarity of UK. Australia can indeed be a lonely country in the age and enduring illness without having those factors. 

2 hours ago, Jennyrose Shields said:

Due to health reasons having to move back to the uk under 67 pension age . 
citizens of both countries how long do you have to live in the uk till we can buy a small home in cash 

I'm sorry you find yourself in such a difficult situation.

There is nothing to stop you buying a home as soon as you arrive, but you will pay extra stamp duty as a foreign buyer.  I am pretty sure you will need to show proof of residency to avoid that.  That usually means showing utility bills, bank statements or other official documents with your name and a UK address on it.  If you will be living with relatives when you first arrive, you change your address with your bank to theirs, and ask them to send you printed bank statements (just use your name and the address, not "c/o" them)

An individual is UK resident for these purposes where they have spent 183 days in the UK (judged by their location at midnight) over any consecutive 365-day period beginning 12 months before the transaction and ending 12 months after.

Stamp Duty Calculator for Non-UK residents | Overseas Buyer Stamp Duty Surcharge 2021/2022 - Knight Frank (UK)