Indecision

Ruth1

1 minute ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Don't rent it out privatey

Use a real estate agent and rent it out through them

The agent will ensure rent is paid on time, and they will do regularly inspections. 

I only rented once in the UK and it was a nightmare. Bloody neighbours would dob me in (to the owner and real estate agent), for any misdemeanor - real or imagined. 

If I was even an hour late with the weekly rent, agent would be on the war path

And they did an inspection inside and out three times a year.

Your house would be pretty safe with a reputable property manager.

And you will have peace of mind

This is weird, becuase that inspection routine is very unusual in the UK, but seems to be the norm in WA.  It is a bit painful as you can't just pay a pro cleaner at the end!!

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

This is weird, becuase that inspection routine is very unusual in the UK, but seems to be the norm in WA.  It is a bit painful as you can't just pay a pro cleaner at the end!!

I know loads of people renting in the UK, and they all have regular inspections

I was being thoroughly checked - once got into trouble for leaving dust on a light bulb.

There are different tiers of managing a property, depending on how much fee you want to pay

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

We have rented out property in England for about 25 years while living overseas, and still do. We would never appoint an agent that didn’t  do 3 monthly inspections followed with a written report,  This is quite normal in England with reputable letting agents, makes sure your property is being well looked after, and any potential problems are dealt with promptly, well worth the cost for peace of mind. Yes you do hear of the occasional horror rental story, but among other expat friends who have rented their property, I can only remember one. We certainly have never had any problems with properly vetted tenants.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes they do. 6 months seems to be normal in Melbourne 

6 months in Adelaide, I rented in the UK but that was 20 yrs ago and we never had an inspection in the 2yrs of living there and that was with a local agent.

6 months would be adequate I would have thought.

46 minutes ago, Parley said:

inspections every 3 months seems a bit excessive. Every 12 months more the norm in Australia I think.

I would be really annoyed if it was every 3 months as a tenant. Maybe they get used to it.

3 months in WA. No you don't get used to it and yes it was really annoying. 

• Like 1

Every 3 months sounds excessive to me.  If the agents have done all the pre lease checks on the tenant, they ticked all the boxes and the rent arrives on time every month I’d say the risk is very low and I’m not sure an inspection that often would be necessary.  Perhaps an initial inspection after 3 months followed by a 6/12 month one after that would be more reasonable.  Still, it’s up to the owner I suppose, their house their choice.  

• Like 1

The estate agent I have approached has said that with a fully managed service they would do regular inspections which I think would reassure me as a landlord but I can imagine would be pretty annoying for a tennant. We arent keen to sell really just in case it doesnt work out and we end up coming back and a managed service through a letting agency, whilst more expensive, I think would work better for us being so far away

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lavers said:

Just go for it Ruth what have you got to lose.

You will always question if its the right the thing to do or not, so your only way of knowing is by doing it.

We (Me,Wife and 2 daughters 10 & 4) moved to Adelaide June 2020 and have never looked back. As Marisa says no one country is better than the other, they are just different.

We had never been to Aus but I've always fancied it for some reason from being a kid. No family here but have got friends that emigrated to other states so just thought that if they can do it why can't I.

We could have easily not moved and just blamed it on covid but the thought of not moving was my biggest driving force as I didn't want to end up like alot of the guys I worked with in there 50s saying I wish I'd have tried that.

Your only here once so make the most of it, if you come and don't like it then you move back. You will lose a chunk of cash but will have no what ifs later on in life which to me is priceless.

This is so true.. I know I would end up always thinking 'what if' and I keep needing to remind myself that the UK is not going anywhere if it doesnt work out for us. Money is just money at the end of the day but time and opportunity is irreplaceable

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parley said:

inspections every 3 months seems a bit excessive. Every 12 months more the norm in Australia I think.

I would be really annoyed if it was every 3 months as a tenant. Maybe they get used to it.

Frankly outside of an initial three month inspection after taking a tenancy, have never heard of an going inspection in such a time frame. I would have thought only if the renters are thought to be damaging or performing illegal activities on the premises would such a short duration be the case. 

I would be annoyed if living under such conditions. Usually from those we know renting it is six months, with even that not strictly enforced in some cases. 

1 hour ago, Ruth1 said:

The estate agent I have approached has said that with a fully managed service they would do regular inspections which I think would reassure me as a landlord but I can imagine would be pretty annoying for a tennant. We arent keen to sell really just in case it doesnt work out and we end up coming back and a managed service through a letting agency, whilst more expensive, I think would work better for us being so far away

We've rented and never been bothered by 6 monthly inspections, it's expected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Frankly outside of an initial three month inspection after taking a tenancy, have never heard of an going inspection in such a time frame. I would have thought only if the renters are thought to be damaging or performing illegal activities on the premises would such a short duration be the case. 

I would be annoyed if living under such conditions. Usually from those we know renting it is six months, with even that not strictly enforced in some cases. 

The Residential Tenancy Act 1997 (WA), allows for 'up to 4 routine inspections a year', all three RA's we've had have done them at 3 monthly intervals, and everyone I know who've rented are the same. So you obviously only know very lucky tenants.  

• Like 2

I was undecided whether to reply, but I’m am so fed up with the keyboard warriors that jump on other posters posts just because they think they are the only people who know everything and are always right. 

Unless you rent out properties in England as we do, what gives you the right to basically call me a liar. We rent with different agents in different cities who have the same inspection conditions, that is our experience, I certainly wouldn’t bother to post that others with a different experience of renting is wrong, it’s nothing to do with me.just as our rental conditions are no one else’s business.

we happen to be extremely good landlords, and have kept our properties immaculate for 25 to 30 years, the inspection is a quick written check list/report checking that nothing needs doing! It’s not a 100 page report, and our tenants over the years are predominantly long term, perhaps because they know the properties are well maintained.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, welljock said:

The Residential Tenancy Act 1997 (WA), allows for 'up to 4 routine inspections a year', all three RA's we've had have done them at 3 monthly intervals, and everyone I know who've rented are the same. So you obviously only know very lucky tenants.  

Queensland is much the same. RTA say that the agents can do 3 monthly inspections, and they do just that. Have done all the years I've been renting here and every other renter I know has the same experience. I've never had an issue with it, but I know some people who have been threatened with eviction for minor things like dirty marks on their own fridge, or not making the beds before the inspection. 

Have to say I never experienced a rental inspection in the UK, except at the beginning and end of the lease, but I'm going back 25 years and things have probably changed since them. 

17 hours ago, ramot said:

I was undecided whether to reply, but I’m am so fed up with the keyboard warriors that jump on other posters posts just because they think they are the only people who know everything and are always right. 

Unless you rent out properties in England as we do, what gives you the right to basically call me a liar. We rent with different agents in different cities who have the same inspection conditions, that is our experience, I certainly wouldn’t bother to post that others with a different experience of renting is wrong, it’s nothing to do with me.just as our rental conditions are no one else’s business.

we happen to be extremely good landlords, and have kept our properties immaculate for 25 to 30 years, the inspection is a quick written check list/report checking that nothing needs doing! It’s not a 100 page report, and our tenants over the years are predominantly long term, perhaps because they know the properties are well maintained.

I don't think anyone has called you a liar have they?  I certainly wasn't trying to imply that and I apologize if I gave that impression.  I was genuinely surprised to read it is that common in the UK. 

Edited by Jon the Hat

On 21/04/2022 at 12:11, Parley said:

Every 3 months back in my rental days.  Never a problem.

On 21/04/2022 at 16:29, welljock said:

I had no idea it could be conducted with such frequency. Interesting. Not aware it happening to anyone I know renting now or in the past. Perhaps it did occur and just wasn't brought up. I know with my neighbours it was me that contacted the property managers through the owner. They were very lapse as way over six months and issues galore. Even after that they took several more months to reappear after several calls to them and owner. 

On 19/04/2022 at 14:00, Ruth1 said:

Yes  all good advice. The trouble is I have been failing miserably at drawing a line under it. I do worry about rose tinted glasses, although I did live and study in Aus for 2 years in the mid noughties so have a good idea of what to expect, but then again I was young and carefree during those times so my glasses are definitely rosy..

I've you're working in the NHS enquire about a career break (I know my trust did them but I didn't use it).