Pilbara with family ??

Hudsonsmumxx

18 hours ago, Toots said:

We had three summers in Perth and some days it reached 40C but most days it hovered around the lower 30s.  Then we moved to Sydney and I found (until I got used to it) the humid Sydney summers harder to cope with.  I wouldn't survive in Darwin or Qld   ............................  well I could but I would hate it.  We also, a lot of years ago had a 40C Christmas day in Melbourne.

Yes not just the temp but the humidity is important. I am happier at 40 degree dry heat here in Adelaide than 30 degrees with high humidity. 
I am ok on holiday in Asia with hot and humid but wouldn’t want to work in it and I find air con is often too cold and dry indoors so irritating. 
We went back to Uk a few years back in a hot summer and people thought I was kidding when I said I found it too stiflingly hot! 
just remember the sun is brutal and you can get burnt quickly in the summer, even on a cloudy day. 

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Yes not just the temp but the humidity is important. I am happier at 40 degree dry heat here in Adelaide than 30 degrees with high humidity. 
I am ok on holiday in Asia with hot and humid but wouldn’t want to work in it and I find air con is often too cold and dry indoors so irritating. 
We went back to Uk a few years back in a hot summer and people thought I was kidding when I said I found it too stiflingly hot! 
just remember the sun is brutal and you can get burnt quickly in the summer, even on a cloudy day. 

I also found (it may have changed) England and Scotland humid in warm weather.  Yes, a lot of hotels in Singapore and other Asian places have the air-con far too cold.  Always need a cardi.🙃

On 13/04/2022 at 16:42, Parley said:

One of the problems with this forum is the negative nellie pessimists are the one's who jump on every new thread giving their advice to would be migrants.

Don't worry about them as it is far from most people's beliefs about Australia.

Then best only dish out Disney like caricatures and soapy endorsements that will perhaps endorse the sentiments the OP would prefer to read, regardless of legitimacy. Yes more contentment all round. After all few want to read about the darker side, most especially with rellies already echoing the call of the wonder Down Under to those left on those distant soggy , desperate far off Isles , it must sound almost a spiritual revelation in appearance at least. Better off denying reality as something in the minds of the discontent, those that failed to settle, those that will never find contentment in any place or anything and straight out Aussie bashers. Far easier to explain all those negative comments away with the stroke of a few keys.

On 13/04/2022 at 16:51, Hudsonsmumxx said:

Thank god for a positive person. 

I can only echo the thanking of our Lord for that. For awhile I thought nasty subversives had mounted the applecart, in order to over turn the vehicle in order to deprive the peeps of nourishment of the mind, body and soul.  

On 13/04/2022 at 16:24, Hudsonsmumxx said:

Actually you’re right. I’d much prefer to bring him up where I live after what I’ve read 😕 Australia has gone down hill ! 
thanks ! 

Probably right. I mean  fair chance in Perth they would be caught up in the meth epidemic. Various sides to that of course. Addict, User, Maker. 

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Probably right. I mean  fair chance in Perth they would be caught up in the meth epidemic. Various sides to that of course. Addict, User, Maker. 

Oh for God's sake, I know plenty of people with teenagers/young adult children and strangely none of them are meth addicts!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have always said that if you look forward, you will see the bad spots, but if you keep on turning your head, you will surely fall into one, or two of them. I find it so very sad that people are pessimistic on approaching a new life. They should be full of energy and enthusiasm, but then, I am an old bloke who has had a fabulous life, looking for adventure rather than being a sad sack and moaning in my morning latte.

BTW,  I always thought of Perth as a good place, but apparently I am completely wrong according to some ne’er say wells on this fine forum.

Ahh, Perth, the City Of Light. How true that phrase is.

I’ll gerroff my soapbox now…

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Bobj said:

I have always said that if you look forward, you will see the bad spots, but if you keep on turning your head, you will surely fall into one, or two of them. I find it so very sad that people are pessimistic on approaching a new life. They should be full of energy and enthusiasm, but then, I am an old bloke who has had a fabulous life, looking for adventure rather than being a sad sack and moaning in my morning latte.

BTW,  I always thought of Perth as a good place, but apparently I am completely wrong according to some ne’er say wells on this fine forum.

Cheers, Bobj.

I only have good memories of Perth even though we were there for just over 3 years. 

I couldn't live in a large city now.  Living on the edge of a large town is busy enough for me.  Love escaping to the country  ..................  far away from the hordes of people.  We were away for a couple of days over this Easter weekend.  Went off the beaten track on the way to visit friends.  Even my husband who for most of his life was a city boy is at the stage where he really can't be bothered anymore with people bustling around him - apart from friends of course.  

Each to his own though.  😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

Oh for God's sake, I know plenty of people with teenagers/young adult children and strangely none of them are meth addicts!

I never stated all or any around me are meth addicts. But I do wonder how you would be aware  just what the kids are up to even if they were partaking. It appears very mainstream to me and most are aware at least that there is a problem. Obviously none of those doing it will admit to it. Just witnessed ten minutes ago a car park in front of my house and two very young girls enter a house where such activity unfolds. You most certainly cannot tell from looking. Perth is very 'methed up' just odd it haS escaped you. 

3 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

And? Begs the question how do you know what kids are doing? This stuff is super easy to make and it has been discovered even being in the bedrooms of houses without parents knowledge. Not sure how the smell evaded detection. As have with boring repetition stated in my street and area, they are not meth addicts to my knowledge, but in it for the money. Very well turned out middle class kids, churning out the stuff in considerable quantity by the numbers that seem to partake. I'd suggest few kids would be ignorant of this as an easy and reasonably safe way to advance economic fortune. It's a well run operation .Far from just the kids involved.   I'm just a little surprised you appear ignorant about it, when most all I know in Perth, say it is everywhere. My lawn mower man an Iranian refugee , here fourteen years even knew this area was impacted for a long time , years apparently before I became aware of anything untoward. 

3 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

And? Begs the question how do you know what kids are doing? This stuff is super easy to make and it has been discovered even being in the bedrooms of houses without parents knowledge. Not sure how the smell evaded detection. As have with boring repetition stated in my street and area, they are not meth addicts to my knowledge, but in it for the money. Very well turned out middle class kids, churning out the stuff in considerable quantity by the numbers that seem to partake. I'd suggest few kids would be ignorant of this as an easy and reasonably safe way to advance economic fortune. It's a well run operation .Far from just the kids involved.   I'm just a little surprised you appear ignorant about it, when most all I know in Perth, say it is everywhere. My lawn mower man an Iranian refugee , here fourteen years even knew this area was impacted for a long time , years apparently before I became aware of anything untoward. 

I am not 'ignorant about it', I've worked in healthcare in Perth for over 30 years (including RPH) and am quite aware of the drug and alcohol problems here, thank you. I'm just not obsessed with it as you seem to be.

This is the last response I will make to any of your posts.

Edited by Drumbeat

On 13/04/2022 at 18:01, newjez said:

I've done 45 degrees in Perth Marisa. Perth gets pretty damn hot. Not as hot as the north, but a lot hotter than the eastern states, and I did live in Sydney for five years.

Thank you , That’s so kind of you to reply. Totally understand what you mean x 

tough when trying to do the right thing for your kids - just want him to live the happiest life 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bobj said:

Cheers, Bobj.

Thank you 🥰🥰

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

I am not 'ignorant about it', I've worked in healthcare in Perth for over 30 years (including RPH) and am quite aware of the drug and alcohol problems here, thank you. I'm just not obsessed with it as you seem to be.

This is the last response I will make to any of your posts.

If you call me obsessive perhaps it is because I am fully aware of late to the extent of this problem. No idea why you, writing you are or have been a worker in the health care system, appear so intensely almost offended every time I bring to light a matter seriously impacting Perth.  Only you will know that. I have discussed this matter with medical professionals , real estate agents, political reps, and so on. Most all agree there is a serious problem. I think I have made it clear I'm living in an area where the manufacture of meth has become mainstream for all intents and purposes and am far removed from being content with the situation. Don't mix alcohol problems with something quite different. 

19 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

If you call me obsessive perhaps it is because I am fully aware of late to the extent of this problem

I have to say that you do come across as obsessive.  By posting about drugs in every post to the exclusion of almost everything else, you're shooting yourself in the foot, because it leads to people dismissing you as an old curmudgeon with an axe to grind. 

I must say, I am almost shocked when you occasionally say something nice about Australia, because the overriding impression you give is of someone jumping up and down, screaming, "Aaak!  Run Away!  Danger! Danger!  Australia is the worst place in the world!" - which means people are unlikely to take you seriously.

Consider that some people call me negative, even though I try to point out both the upsides and downsides of living in Oz.  What must they think of you?

Edited by Marisawright

11 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I have to say that you do come across as obsessive.  By posting about drugs in every post to the exclusion of almost everything else, you're shooting yourself in the foot, because it leads to people dismissing you as an old curmudgeon with an axe to grind. 

I must say, I am almost shocked when you occasionally say something nice about Australia, because the overriding impression you give is of someone jumping up and down, screaming, "Aaak!  Run Away!  Danger! Danger!  Australia is the worst place in the world!" - which means people are unlikely to take you seriously.

Consider that some people call me negative, even though I try to point out both the upsides and downsides of living in Oz.  What must they think of you?

I give positive feedback where due. By the way I gave my view on living in The Pilbara as well with what from my experience that entails.   I gave factual feedback on the matter of drugs. Why hide the fact that Australia has a major problem around that? It surely should be a consideration with regards to children, should it not? But I  purely bring it up as a consideration, among other issues, but being so inundated with drug issue happening around me to the point of becoming mainstream, is obviously of some concern. I would  suggest most that are really concerned for their kids, or in my case standard of living,  would do exactly the same thing .

Edited by Blue Flu