Sponsorship!

Jaym

26 minutes ago, DIG85 said:

I tend to agree.

I know plenty of people who came to Australia from shanty towns in India, Philippines, Indonesia with barely a cent in their pocket.

I have found that in life, if you want something badly enough, you can almost always find some way to make it happen. 

One but wonders. Just how do so many arrive from shanty towns in countries mentioned? Not a cracker you say. Outside of marriage how can this be the case. Australia sells itself as importing qualified, short in supply migrants. Could this be little but a smoke screen to disguise the reality and true nature of immigration? That being obviously to shore up the housing market and suppress wages. 

36 minutes ago, DIG85 said:

I know plenty of people who came to Australia from shanty towns in India, Philippines, Indonesia with barely a cent in their pocket.

I have found that in life, if you want something badly enough, you can almost always find some way to make it happen. 

That is true.  But I would argue there's a massive difference.  If someone is living in a dismal third-world country, they've got nothing to lose by bringing their family to Australia and gambling on getting a visa.  If they fail, at least they've had a few precious years in a better environment. 

However, if the OP is a typical British migrant - living in a first world country, with a comfortable home and a secure job, with his relatives around him - he has a great deal to lose if it all goes wrong.   So he needs to be aware of all the potential risks as well as the benefits he hopes to gain, before he makes a decision. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

That's the problem, we don't really know.   An awful lot of people were caught unawares when they lowered the age from 50 to 45 for other visas. It's just another of those unknowns.

IMO considering how very shabbily the Australian government treated 491 holders during the pandemic, I'm not sure I'd be trusting them.

Indeed. Australian immigration is but a changing feast. Best not to assume what may be in place today will remain in place tomorrow. But the onus is on returning to high numbers. Regardless if need there or not. Coming on a student visa appears a very good starting point for those with PR in mind though. 

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That is true.  But I would argue there's a massive difference.  If someone is living in a dismal third-world country, they've got nothing to lose by bringing their family to Australia and gambling on getting a visa.  If they fail, at least they've had a few precious years in a better environment. 

However, if the OP is a typical British migrant - living in a first world country, with a comfortable home and a secure job, with his relatives around him - he has a great deal to lose if it all goes wrong.   So he needs to be aware of all the potential risks as well as the benefits he hopes to gain, before he makes a decision. 

I'm wondering in fact, just how many 'dirt poor' migrants from countries mentioned are getting in though? Surely it is more the middle class with so called portable skills or the lucre on hand to fund study?

I'm wondering in fact, just how many 'dirt poor' migrants from countries mentioned are getting in though? Surely it is more the middle class with so called portable skills or the lucre on hand to fund study?

I find your choice of language somewhat offensive if I’m being honest

Poor is poor what the hell is dirt poor?

FYI I’ve employed many people from other countries in my time here in Australia
All of those have come here on student visas at one point or another, all with degrees. They come here, do their masters, gain valuable work experience and then move on to some temporary or provisional visa.
These are highly skilled highly technical people who for me have all turned into excellent employees

Not to be confused with what you call dirt poor and those people would likely come here on refugee visas

2 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

I find your choice of language somewhat offensive if I’m being honest

Poor is poor what the hell is dirt poor?

FYI I’ve employed many people from other countries in my time here in Australia
All of those have come here on student visas at one point or another, all with degrees. They come here, do their masters, gain valuable work experience and then move on to some temporary or provisional visa.
These are highly skilled highly technical people who for me have all turned into excellent employees

Not to be confused with what you call dirt poor and those people would likely come here on refugee visas

Well no it isn't. A person considering themselves 'poor' in UK as an example, would not in all likelihood live in a shanty town. (words of OP)  A shanty town in where folk with next to no means live in Brazil or South Africa or Sub Continent for example. You should be more offended that people live under such conditions perhaps, instead of choice of words. 

In all likelihood it is not those, by and large that come here to do their masters. I understand they are ideal for employers but for reasons that we would probably differ on. Not to say they are bad at their job, possibly quite passive though compared to local. 

No I'm afraid you are a little confused. Many of the refugees are highly skilled that arrive. It costs money to undertake the journeys they make. 

On 2 April 2022 at 05:27, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

“Some” being the operative word

Your opinion is wrong and very skewed to the negative

If everyone listened to you there would be no migration at all

As Marisa says, yes, I personally know a lot of people Ho failed to gain PR and had to return home. I was one of nearly a dozen friends / acquaintances who moved around the same time. Less than half gained PR and I went to wave off a number at the airport. 

We have also seen many cases on the forum over the years. Particularly after a major shake up of the rules, which is often after an election and I believe there is an election coming soon. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

. Coming on a student visa appears a very good starting point for those with PR in mind though. 

The student visa route descended into a nightmare route to PR, when the Labor immigration minister Chris Evans changed the rules for PR retrospectively more than once,from memory 2008/9’sh time,  causing thousands of students studying here onto bridging visas for 3 years before then sending most home. The labor government had previously encouraged international students to study here, as a route to PR.

Don’t know if anything’s changed and  it’s now good a route to PR again? but it is a very very expensive to study here as an International student.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ramot said:

The student visa route descended into a nightmare route to PR, when the Labor immigration minister Chris Evans changed the rules for PR retrospectively more than once,from memory 2008/9’sh time,  causing thousands of students studying here onto bridging visas for 3 years before then sending most home. The labor government had previously encouraged international students to study here, as a route to PR.

Don’t know if anything’s changed and  it’s now good a route to PR again? but it is a very very expensive to study here as an International student.

Yes it is considered a fairly recognized way to stay on in Australia,  which without would see international students head for countries more accessible. Namely Canada, UK, NZ, USA . International student earnings are very high up in international earning ability and economy feels it when numbers fall. It's a top recruitment ground as well. Compliant and less likely to move on. I think the cost is borne out by future long term earnings. 

Well no it isn't. A person considering themselves 'poor' in UK as an example, would not in all likelihood live in a shanty town. (words of OP)  A shanty town in where folk with next to no means live in Brazil or South Africa or Sub Continent for example. You should be more offended that people live under such conditions perhaps, instead of choice of words. 
In all likelihood it is not those, by and large that come here to do their masters. I understand they are ideal for employers but for reasons that we would probably differ on. Not to say they are bad at their job, possibly quite passive though compared to local. 
No I'm afraid you are a little confused. Many of the refugees are highly skilled that arrive. It costs money to undertake the journeys they make. 

I’m almost certain that made sense to you as you typed it but it makes no sense to me whatsoever

2 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

I’m almost certain that made sense to you as you typed it but it makes no sense to me whatsoever

To go further in your response, you may need to look up the meaning of shanty town first. That was the OP wording, not mine. Then explain to me, as I fail to see, any similarity with those not well healed living in UK. Any of the rest I will attempt to articulate differently if that is what it takes to make it of sense to you. 

23 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I agree, a 491 is still  much better than a 482.    With a 482, all you get is an opportunity to apply for permanent residency, IF your employer will agree and IF you're eligible, and you can still get refused.   If your employer changes his mind, tough luck.  With a 491, you're independent, and you're guaranteed to get PR provided you satisfy the criteria at the time.  Unfortunately, I'm sure that if the OP was eligible for the 491, the agent would've mentioned it. 

But didn't Jaym just get their info from the Down Under Centre? So the info didn't necessarily come from a registered agent who was reviewing all possible options. They might be eligible for the 491 (I honestly don't know the criteria) and it could be that the DUC didn't consider it as they usually deal with 482s

Hello all. I'd like to thank everyone for commenting. I've been busy with work so I'll read through them all properly today. I appreciate people being honest. I know we're up against it with regards to a skilled visa (due to experience and age), and I understand the risks involved with going over on a temporary visa. There are no doubt cases where people have gone over on a temp visa and then had to leave due to not getting PR and I guess that's a big risk and one that some people will think is worth it, others won't, I'm not sure which boat we're in on that yet. Me and my partner spent a year in Australia back in 2015/16 and a few friends we have, gained sponsorship whilst on a WHV and all we're able to get PR, again I'm not disputing there are a number of people who don't. I think the advice to have a consultation with an agent is a good one. I got the impression that the DUC centre only gave me one option when there might be others. I haven't paid them anything yet, which might be why their advice was brief. They advised me to do the Pearsons PTE test and go from there so I think that's the first hurdle to get out the way. 

There's not much point doing the PTE test until you understand your options and your chances of success.  A one-off consultation with a reputable migration agent will cost you money, but it will give you the facts much more accurately than any of us can, and then you'll know where you stand, and you can either start making serious plans or forget the whole thing and get on with life.  

That's a good point. This is what I mean about the DUC. That's the advice they gave me. Do the test, aim to get superior on that and then go back to them. I'll definitely speak to another agent before I do anything else. 

You might want to check before hitting "submit", as your posts have extremely long blank spaces after them and it's making it difficult to quote/reply.

Since you're short of points, the DUC is recommending you do the English test (PTE or equivalent) to improve your point score. It's a common practice.  Strangely enough, native English speakers often find it hard to score well (some say it's because it's designed for foreigners who learn more stilted, old-fashioned English).  So I'd suggest you do some research and practice on it and also check out the alternative tests before you actually sit one of them, to give youself the best chance.

The DUC will only give you general, pretty vague advice until you hand over some money.  We've had some members use them and be happy with them, but TBH I'd suggest one of the agents I recommended earlier (Go Matilda or Suncoast Migration).  Ask both of them for a quote for a one-off consult.

Apologies for that. Seems to be my phone playing up. It makes sense that they wouldn't give all info, and possible options unless you've paid. I've emailed both of those companies so I'll hopefully arrange something with them soon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaym said:

Apologies for that. Seems to be my phone playing up. It makes sense that they wouldn't give all info, and possible options unless you've paid. I've emailed both of those companies so I'll hopefully arrange something with them soon. 

See what the Migration agents say, as you are doing. I applied for mine and my partner’s visas - 482 then 186 ( we did make the transition from temp to PR in my early 40s but she’s a nurse and the job is in demand). it takes many months of research and added risk to look it all up yourself. Save yourself the effort. 

The MA should tell you if you’re wasting your time, but if not there’s no harm in kicking things off with a English test followed by a skills assessment. You could try and seek out agencies who may place you on a 482 at the same time, but the school fees are a valid consideration if your kids are that age. A small benefit of a 482 step - accepting the risks - is you’re already living your life in Australia while you’re waiting out the PR. PR is always far preferable though. 

Edited by GeeBee

8 hours ago, GeeBee said:

You could try and seek out agencies who may place you on a 482 at the same time

Be very, very careful of migration agencies that offer to find you a job. Nearly all of them are scammers, although they look very professional on the surface.

I know of recruitment agencies that place nurses on a 482 but a recruitment agency is not a migration agency and shouldn't represent itself as such.  

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Be very, very careful of migration agencies that offer to find you a job. Nearly all of them are scammers, although they look very professional on the surface.

I know of recruitment agencies that place nurses on a 482 but a recruitment agency is not a migration agency and shouldn't represent itself as such.  

Yes good clarification. I refer to recruitment agencies for the job search. In our experience the recruitment agency knew nothing about the visas. They didn’t even know the 457 was being replaced by the 482 and our application was on the borderline of switch over. They did however find us an employer willing to sponsor us from the uk. It was nursing though.

Whether getting sponsored via a recruitment agency is viable or not in the OP’s field I’m not sure, but worth a look.