Sponsorship!

Jaym

Hello, I'm after a bit of advice. I'm an electrician wanting to emigrate and after talking to the down under centre I may struggle to meet points required for the skilled visa. This is mainly down to a change of career a few years ago (so experience) and also the fact I turn 40 next year.

I wondered if anyone had any advice with regards to getting a company to sponsor me? I imagine it's not easy but I'd be grateful for any feedback off anyone who has been through it, going through it or has tried with no luck. 

Many thanks 

Did the Down Under Centre say that would help? 

I ask because you still need to have exactly the same qualifications and experience as for the skilled visa. Then you have the problem that as an electrician, you can’t just arrive in Australia and work as a fully qualified electrician from day one, you’ve got to work as an assistant for a year. That makes it less likely an employer would want to sponsor you. 

Finally you have the problem that most employer visas don’t let you migrate, they only let you work in Australia for a few years

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Thank you for the reply.

I've emailed the DUC this morning to ask as I'm not sure.

I understand the issue about not officially being qualified in Australia and know I'd need to gain the A licence, and this could affect a company wanting to sponsor. 

My understanding was that there would be certain conditions with a sponsorship, such as agreeing to stay with a company for a set time, along with them agreeing to provide employment for a set time. I also thought that once your been there for a set time you can then apply to stay. Again this might be wrong. 

23 minutes ago, Jaym said:

Thank you for the reply.

I've emailed the DUC this morning to ask as I'm not sure.

I understand the issue about not officially being qualified in Australia and know I'd need to gain the A licence, and this could affect a company wanting to sponsor. 

My understanding was that there would be certain conditions with a sponsorship, such as agreeing to stay with a company for a set time, along with them agreeing to provide employment for a set time. I also thought that once your been there for a set time you can then apply to stay. Again this might be wrong. 

You can certainly apply, but it isn't a foregone conclusion. 

So I've had an update from the DUC. They've said it's an option however it would be on the 482 visa which is temporary and doesn't give benefits you get with the 190. 

With the 482 there's no skills assessment, age isn't really a factor either. I think they said the requirement is to stay employed for 3 years with that sponsor and then if you meet the requirements you can apply for PR.

38 minutes ago, Jaym said:

So I've had an update from the DUC. They've said it's an option however it would be on the 482 visa which is temporary and doesn't give benefits you get with the 190. 

With the 482 there's no skills assessment, age isn't really a factor either. I think they said the requirement is to stay employed for 3 years with that sponsor and then if you meet the requirements you can apply for PR.

You can apply (or as I read it, more correctly your employer can sponsor you for a 186/187 visa).

You need to be under 45 at the time of applying and have met all your other 482 visa obligations.

Equally the anzsco code must still be on the required list and your employer needs to pay a bunch of training levy fees (essentially to pay to train tomorrow's Australians so they don't need sponsored people in future, but really it's just another way to gouge some dollars)

5 hours ago, Jaym said:

Yes, a 482 is basically a temporary work contract. The employer hires you for two or four years.  You have to stay with that employer:  if you leave, or if the business goes bust or you get made redundant, you get 90 days to leave the country.   Too bad if the kids have exams or your partner has a good job - you're out. 

After 3 years on the 482, you can apply for PR.  BUT that doesn't mean you'll get it. As Ausvisitor says, that's a 186.  There's no way to predict what the rules will be in 3 or 4 years time (the rules change every year), so there's a risk you won't be eligible.

On these forums, we've heard too many sad tales about people who moved their family over on a 482 (or the previous version, the 457), work their 3 years, then found the rules changed a few months before the date they can apply, and they had to go home.  Since moving a family to Oz will cost you at least 20 grand (and the same back again), they find themselves back where they started with far less money.  

If you can find an employer who's willing to pay all your expenses to relocate to Australia on a 482,  AND to relocate home again at the end, its a great opportunity to have an adventure of a lifetime.  If you have to pay for yourself, I hope you have deep pockets.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

And ...before anyone says it, this isn't us being negative or trying to "pee on the parade", it is just telling the whole story and allowing people who are interested in possibly migrating to understand what they are letting themselves in.

There is always a big queue of people wanting to say how great it is, but not many share the real problems/costs and then they are a surprise when.l encountered

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

And ...before anyone says it, this isn't us being negative or trying to "pee on the parade", it is just telling the whole story ...

Very true. @Jaym, i feel for you because when you've made the big decision that you'd like to move to Australia, it's a rude shock and a crushing disappointment when people say, "sorry, you're probably too late".

The hard truth is that Australia is very, very fussy about who it accepts as migrants.  It wants young people, because they'll work 40 years or more before they start collecting pensions and claiming aged care.  Whereas someone over 40 may only work for 20 years and then collect the pension for another 30, so that's not a good deal for the government.  And of course, there are so many highly experienced and qualified people battering down the door to get in, they can afford to say, "we'll only take the most experienced and the most qualified". 

That's why in your case, you're up against it.  If the Down Under Centre is saying you can't get a skilled visa then they are probably right.  

They have said you can get a 482, but unfortunately that's not migrating.  It's just a temporary job.  it's not DUC's job to point out all the risks associated with that.  We've tried to explain them here.  Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

• Like 2

Yes, a 482 is basically a temporary work contract. The employer hires you for two or four years.  You have to stay with that employer:  if you leave, or if the business goes bust or you get made redundant, you get 90 days to leave the country.   Too bad if the kids have exams or your partner has a good job - you're out. 
After 3 years on the 482, you can apply for PR.  BUT that doesn't mean you'll get it. As Ausvisitor says, that's a 186.  There's no way to predict what the rules will be in 3 or 4 years time (the rules change every year), so there's a risk you won't be eligible.
On these forums, we've heard too many sad tales about people who moved their family over on a 482 (or the previous version, the 457), work their 3 years, then found the rules changed a few months before the date they can apply, and they had to go home.  Since moving a family to Oz will cost you at least 20 grand (and the same back again), they find themselves back where they started with far less money.  
If you can find an employer who's willing to pay all your expenses to relocate to Australia on a 482,  AND to relocate home again at the end, its a great opportunity to have an adventure of a lifetime.  If you have to pay for yourself, I hope you have deep pockets.

It’s important to note that there are also many stories of people moving here on a temp visa and then successfully gaining pr after a few years

Let’s not paint too miserable a picture for the guy

54 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

It’s important to note that there are also many stories of people moving here on a temp visa and then successfully gaining pr after a few years

There are many stories of people moving here on the OLD temp visa, ( the 457 visa).  it's great when it works.  That doesn't mean we should encourage people to downplay the truly miserable outcomes that do happen, because they happen quite a lot.  If you don't believe me, check out the 186 thread for a start, then drill back and find all the sad stories on these forums.

If the OP was a single guy, or even married with no kids, I'd be saying, "go for it, mate", because in both cases, their move won't cost much and if it all goes wrong, they can easily start again back in Blighty.    As soon as you 've got kids, though, you've got to be a grown-up.  You can't say, "OK, maybe I've only got a 50/50 chance of getting PR, but what's 40 grand?  So what if we end up back in Blighty with only enough money to buy a pokey flat?  It's worth a gamble." 

All I've done is state the facts.  That's not negativity, it's just facts.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

There are many stories of people moving here on the OLD temp visa, ( the 457 visa).  it's great when it works.  That doesn't mean we should encourage people to downplay the truly miserable outcomes that do happen.
If the OP was a single guy, or even married with no kids, I'd be saying, "go for it, mate", because in both cases, their move won't cost much and if it all goes wrong, they can easily start again back in Blighty.    As soon as you 've got kids, though, you've got to be a grown-up.  You can't say, "OK, maybe I've only got a 50/50 chance of getting PR, but what's 40 grand?  So what if we end up back in Blighty with only enough money to buy a pokey flat?  It's worth a gamble." 
All I've done is state the facts.  That's not negativity, it's just facts. 

It’s not all the facts

If you want to state facts then at least show both sides. I personally know what more people who have come on 457 visas and then moved to PR than have failed. In fact I don’t know anyone who has failed

You’re stating opinion you have no facts to back that opinion up.

3 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

If you want to state facts then at least show both sides. I personally know what more people who have come on 457 visas and then moved to PR than have failed. In fact I don’t know anyone who has failed

I've been on these forums and have seen many posts about people who have failed.  @VERYSTORMY could give you some examples, I think.

Besides, the OP would not be coming on a 457.  He'd be on a 482, which is not quite the same animal.

Edited by Marisawright

21 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

It’s not all the facts

You’re stating opinion you have no facts to back that opinion up.

I too do not know any 457 or 482 visa holder who wanted but failed to get PR.

Having said that, there are sufficient numbers of posts to this forum to satisfy me that some people do fail. However, I suspect this forum attracts those whose cases/chances are more marginal (why post on a forum like this if you are finding, or have found, the process plain sailing?) and those that do fail are disproportionately reflected on here - and possibly quite substantially so.

I've been on these forums and have seen many posts about people who have failed.  [mention=214818]VERYSTORMY[/mention] could give you some examples, I think.
Besides, the OP would not be coming on a 457.  He'd be on a 482, which is not quite the same animal.

“Some” being the operative word

Your opinion is wrong and very skewed to the negative

If everyone listened to you there would be no migration at all
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

“Some” being the operative word

You cannot deny that everything I said is true. And if you read my original post, I listed all the things that CAN go wrong. I never said they WILL go wrong. 

There is no obligation on anyone here to present "both sides of the story" in every post.  I pointed out the negative stuff.  If you want to post positive stories to counteract that, go ahead. That's how you get balance. 

• Like 2

Hi Jay,

Have you looked into the 491 visa? I know you said you changed careers a couple of years ago, I wonder if you might make the minimum points up with a year a two to enable you to apply. I *think* the transition to the 191 (which is PR) is locked in as long as you are under 45 when you first get the invitation to apply for the 491 (and have abided by all the other visa conditions for the 3 years before applying to transition to PR). I believe the allocation for skilled regional visas is going to more than double from July, so might be an avenue worth exploring.

If I were in your shoes I would consider going for the 482 to get out there ASAP, and while out there start trying for the 186 (PR employer sponsored) and 491 (Provisional Regional sponsored). After a year of being out there you would get 5 additional points for having AustralIan work experience, plus you might have gone up a band for your overall experience? And if you get the 491 invitation that’s another 15 points. If this offsets the points you lose from turning 40 then it’s something to think about......

42 minutes ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Hi Jay,

Have you looked into the 491 visa? I know you said you changed careers a couple of years ago, I wonder if you might make the minimum points up with a year a two to enable you to apply. I *think* the transition to the 191 (which is PR) is locked in as long as you are under 45 

The OP would have to make sure they'll meet the age criteria by the time they're eligible.

@Jaym, have you actually paid Down Under Centre for advice?   If so, go back and ask them to explain what the pathway would be to PR, and how reliable it would be.

If you haven't paid them any  money yet, then I'd suggest booking a one-off consultation with an agent like Go Matilda or Suncoast Migration.  Don't just ask them "what visa can I get now".  Ask them, "What visa can I get in the future, if I can manage to get a 482, and what would I need to do, to be sure of getting PR?"   They're the experts.

46 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The OP would have to make sure they'll meet the age criteria by the time they're eligible.

Are you sure Marisa? I’ve read on a couple of agent websites that it’s linked to when you lodge the 491, not the 191. Although from what I understand the details won’t be confirmed until November anyway as that’s when the first lot of 491 holders will become eligible.

https://truebluemigration.com/visa-services/employer-sponsored-visa/skilled-regional-permanent-residence-visa-subclass-191/

22 minutes ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Are you sure Marisa? I’ve read on a couple of agent websites that it’s linked to when you lodge the 491, not the 191.

That's the problem, we don't really know.   An awful lot of people were caught unawares when they lowered the age from 50 to 45 for other visas. It's just another of those unknowns.

IMO considering how very shabbily the Australian government treated 491 holders during the pandemic, I'm not sure I'd be trusting them.

Yes it’s not as great as getting PR straight away, but I reckon it’s still worth considering. Another benefit of 491 is that the arrangement with school fees is different (for example in NSW 491 holders don’t pay school fees, but 482 holders do), so if @Jaym is moving over with kids it’s another potential thing to look into. 

There are so many bits of info out there, I agree it’s worth having a paid consultation if options seem limited or time is running out. I’ve spent so much time googling and cross referencing various forums/websites, in hindsight I would have got things moving quicker if I’d used an agent. 

Good luck OP with whatever you decide!

24 minutes ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Yes it’s not as great as getting PR straight away, but I reckon it’s still worth considering. Another benefit of 491 is that the arrangement with school fees is different (for example in NSW 491 holders don’t pay school fees, but 482 holders do), so if @Jaym is moving over with kids it’s another potential thing to look into. 

I agree, a 491 is still  much better than a 482.    With a 482, all you get is an opportunity to apply for permanent residency, IF your employer will agree and IF you're eligible, and you can still get refused.   If your employer changes his mind, tough luck.  With a 491, you're independent, and you're guaranteed to get PR provided you satisfy the criteria at the time.  Unfortunately, I'm sure that if the OP was eligible for the 491, the agent would've mentioned it. 

19 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

If everyone listened to you there would be no migration at all

I tend to agree.

I know plenty of people who came to Australia from shanty towns in India, Philippines, Indonesia with barely a cent in their pocket.

I have found that in life, if you want something badly enough, you can almost always find some way to make it happen. 

Edited by DIG85