Virtual Ceremony

laur.a84@hotmail.it

Hi everyone,

anyone knows why if the Ceremony is Virtual the person needs to be in the country? 

Just because I left Australia as they were taking too long for the ceremony, (almost one year waiting) so I called the Department and they were saying that was fine, that I could go as my ceremony was Online. Then I received the invitation and on the letter is written that I need to be in the country for receive my zoom call. 
Anyone knows why?

thanks in advance 

Laura.

It is because, at one time, people would come to Australia with no intention of living here.  They would just stay long enough to qualify for citizenship, then they'd apply and go back to their home country.  Australia didn't want to waste time with people like that.

So Australia started to make it more difficult to get citizenship. e.g. now it takes four years instead of two, and you must stay in the country to get it. 

• Like 1

Many people do it anyway. Waiting for the passport and then leaving the Country, so it doesn’t make any difference. I think that if the ceremony is online could be anywhere in the world. I waited 10yrs and I worked hard trust me. ( like everybody else) I just needed to get home to my family coz was 3 yrs without seen them, and my dad wasn’t doing very well so I want to enjoy them now! And the reason that I left is because the Department told me that I could do it coz my ceremony was online. Otherwise I could wait.

8 hours ago, laur.a84@hotmail.it said:

Many people do it anyway. Waiting for the passport and then leaving the Country, so it doesn’t make any difference

Yes it does make a difference, because as you say, it took you 10 years to get to citizenship.  People used to come to Australia, stay 2 years, get their passport just in case they needed it one day, and go home.  Now, not many people would move to Australia for 10 years just to get the passport. 

If you are planning to return to Australia, all you have to do is let them know, and request them to reschedule the ceremony.  Of course, make sure you have a valid RRV and return before it expries. 

I do agree, the people at the Department often give wrong answers and it's not acceptable.

Edited by Marisawright