british passport renewal i need help

john tredrea

i need a migration expert . My mother was seriously ill last nov and i arranged to go to the UK with my young son on 23 dec. On the 20 i cancelled the trip  due to the pandemic in the uk 200.000 per day. I rescheduled it for the 10 April till the 4 may . By doing so  my passport which expires in August was not valid to travel because it did not have 6 months left on it. So when i was due to apply in time in the middle of feb  We got a catastrophic flood in Lismore which cut power phone internet and and trapped us on our property for three weeks and left me with a month to do it. i applied and paid for a emergency passport to get to the uk this process invalidated and cancelled my passport and the emergency passport only lasts 21 days so they said i could not use it and that now i have to apply from scratch for a new passport instead of renewal . which means lots of documentation like birth certificates that i dont have. My mother is still holding on just and my ten year old son is looking forward to it i dont want to cancel it again can someone please help. im 61 next week and honest.

Are you an Australian citizen? You can travel on your Australian passport if you are and as  long as you don't  intend to work or stay more than 6 months good be OK.  Otherwise, can you travel to UK on the emergency document them apply for your UK passport while you are there? 

You might want to delete your phone number, that's a risky thing to have on the Internet. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, john tredrea said:

im not an Australian citizen i dont know how to delete the phone number

Maybe try clicking the "report post" in top right hand corner of the relevant comment you want amended. I've done this for a post of my own that I wanted removed.

I can't help with your problem but suggest you contact by private message some of the migration agents from this site.

Edited by Melbpom
spelling

Thanks Cal. There are some lovelly people on this site. The passport office and the process of getting a passport once ev e ry ten years I find is a stressful and disempowering process for no reason. Why can't we get our passport renewed here like we used to. its such a one sided application  that wastes time money and resources. Why do I need to have six months on my passport when (before they cancelled it ) i would of had 4 months left on it after i got back. I'm only going to the country i was born in to return to the country i migrated to 30 years ago. so have not been sleeping and was rude as they said that the emergency passport only lasted 21 days and I'm away for 24. therefore I could not have one. Anyway I'm going to try again in the morning when I'm not so stressed.This website offers me the support that my British government neglects to do so. thanks everyone. This process goes against all my common sense

• Like 1

I wasn't aware you needed 6 months on a British passport to re-enter the UK. I always thought that you could technically travel back to the UK on an expired passport if you are a citizen (try finding an airline that would allow that though!)

It seems weird because I have travelled to the US with 2 months left on my UK passport in the past and also re-entered the UK at the end of the trip

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

I wasn't aware you needed 6 months on a British passport to re-enter the UK. I always thought that you could technically travel back to the UK on an expired passport if you are a citizen (try finding an airline that would allow that though!)

It seems weird because I have travelled to the US with 2 months left on my UK passport in the past and also re-entered the UK at the end of the trip

You do not need 6 months on your UK passport to enter the UK. Some countries en route have that requirement so you need to check if doing a stopover, but the UK does not have the 6 month rule. 

• Like 2

I think the best thing you can do is just accept you’ll need to spend part of a day visiting the passport office when you’re in the UK.  If you’re going to do that you need to book an appointment ASAP.  It’s a shame but it solves your problem so I’d just go with it.  I think you would have been ok using your old passport but that’s history now.  Try not to stress about what you can’t change.  Just sort out an appointment at a passport office and then look forward to your visit.   Before all that though, maybe ring the embassy in Australia to see if they can issue you a slightly longer emergency one (worth a try) good luck. 

• Like 1

If you can get an emergency document to travel home, you can get an expedited new one whole you are there. Costs more but only takes a week. https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/1-week-fast-track-service.  Then you will need to get your visa transferred - is the travel component of your visa still current or will you need to apply for a RRV? Getting back into Australia will be the issue if the travel component of your original visa has expired. 

Thanks everyone.

The American British passport relationship allows the British passport to be valid 6 months after it expires when travelling to or from America. Singapore requires six months on the passport whilst transiting through there. 

I have a new permanent resident visa from last September . It is a digital visa that digitally connects with your passport when travelling so its always available when changing passports. And yes i will have to spend time travelling to get a new passport when in the UK.

Regarding using the old passport i did not want to disappoint my young son again with this trip i already had to cancel his family Christmas due to covid and being turned around at Singapore would be depressing. thanks everyone your a great reassuring resource of people that care and are knowledgeable .

We still cant drive out of our rd unless one has a high clearance 4WD . we were stuck for about a month hence the problem. Just for a bit of background we had 50 inches 1300mm of rain in two days. We were flooded in before that. . Im a disability support worker in and around Lismore, 10 of my colleagues lost their houses and everything in them. my central  work place was destroyed  it employs 300 plus people. My friend had an office 50 feet above the river in Lismore her office was flooded by 1.5metres. 5000 homes went under up to the roof ( two storey) and every shop, servo, supermarket, cafe, restaurant , pub, chemists, all wiped out. We have been through a catastrophic natural disaster. Two years ago we were evacuated due to the bush fires then covid now this.

Thanks everyone have a great day all the best John Tredrea

• Like 2

For future reference, the 6 months validity for SIngapore is only for people entering the country - ie going through Immigration - including for a one night stopover. 

If one is only transitting SIngapore and remains airside, thus not entering SIngapore itself, there is no requirement for 6 months validity.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, john tredrea said:

Thanks everyone.

The American British passport relationship allows the British passport to be valid 6 months after it expires when travelling to or from America. Singapore requires six months on the passport whilst transiting through there. 

I have a new permanent resident visa from last September . It is a digital visa that digitally connects with your passport when travelling so its always available when changing passports. And yes i will have to spend time travelling to get a new passport when in the UK.

Regarding using the old passport i did not want to disappoint my young son again with this trip i already had to cancel his family Christmas due to covid and being turned around at Singapore would be depressing. thanks everyone your a great reassuring resource of people that care and are knowledgeable .

We still cant drive out of our rd unless one has a high clearance 4WD . we were stuck for about a month hence the problem. Just for a bit of background we had 50 inches 1300mm of rain in two days. We were flooded in before that. . Im a disability support worker in and around Lismore, 10 of my colleagues lost their houses and everything in them. my central  work place was destroyed  it employs 300 plus people. My friend had an office 50 feet above the river in Lismore her office was flooded by 1.5metres. 5000 homes went under up to the roof ( two storey) and every shop, servo, supermarket, cafe, restaurant , pub, chemists, all wiped out. We have been through a catastrophic natural disaster. Two years ago we were evacuated due to the bush fires then covid now this.

Just to echo that you don't need to go through all this 6months malarky when transiting Singapore. My wife just went to UK and back with a passport that expires in a month or so. Your travel agent is useless.

Mine new passport is with DHL. Very easy to go online and order the new one but I maybe shouldn't be flying it quite so close to the wire. I'll know next time.

Edited by DrDougster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrDougster said:

Just to echo that you don't need to go through all this 6months malarky when transiting Singapore. My wife just went to UK and back with a passport that expires in a month or so. Your travel agent is useless.

Mine new passport is with DHL. Very easy to go online and order the new one but I maybe shouldn't be flying it quite so close to the wire. I'll know next time.

So you reckon your new one will arrive in time - well done!!

13 hours ago, john tredrea said:

Thanks everyone.

The floods were shocking this time. We are about 2hrs North of you and the area we live became an island for a few days with all 3 ways in and out flooded, its only ever done that once before in the 15 yrs we have been here, normally 1 road stays driveable but there was just was too much rain for the rivers to keep it up and it rose by 19 to 20 mtrs at its peak. We personally had no real damage to our property just lost power for 4 days which seems like a lifetime when you need electric for water too, not to mention my precious fish tanks,haha. Thank fully a friend lent us a generator the night before we got power back so we will certainly be purchasing one and be prepared should it happen again. 

Have a great trip back to the UK and you can relax now knowing you dont have to worry about your passport now!

Cal x

Thanks Cal as we speak I'm at work in Lismore sleepover shift in a house that is next door to where the floods stopped. I heard on the radio to 100.000 tons of people's possessions are being taken to the tip. This flood has affected everyone everything's changed thanks again 

• Sad 1