Presents to take back to UK

DrDougster

Tim tams and cherry ripes. Lightfeet predator sports socks from Athletes Foot (standard request from my son). Australian hoodies and our local Aussie made shop has some amazing wild life t shirts. For women/girls, opals go a long way. Chocolate covered macadamias (the daughter in laws perennial request!) 

How old are the children?  Aussie towels (we bought some on our first trip and lasted years), Australian art, you can pick up leather wallets/purses from tourist shops. agree with the cherry ripes and tim tams, vegemite

15 minutes ago, ali said:

How old are the children?  Aussie towels (we bought some on our first trip and lasted years), Australian art, you can pick up leather wallets/purses from tourist shops. agree with the cherry ripes and tim tams, vegemite

I honestly can't see the difference between timtams and penguins, if pushed I'd say penguins are marginally better.

Similarly marmite spanks vegemite's butt every day 

• Like 1

On 17/03/2022 at 19:36, Ausvisitor said:

I honestly can't see the difference between timtams and penguins, if pushed I'd say penguins are marginally better.

I love vegemite and can't stand marmite lol.

On 20/03/2022 at 03:51, EmilysDad said:

Not a genius idea but to confirm your thinking, Sports shirts have always gone down really well with my friends and family (of all genders) particularly State Of Origin, Aussie Rules and those with indigenous influence. 🤓

Yes, much better to carry than send.  I sent a used David Pocock Brumbies shirt that he'd signed and written a message on....a proper gift for a rugby fan to stick up on his rugby club wall.  The 'effin UK charged him 35 quid tax and handling to pick up from the post office. Never again.

I was sent something from Australia a few years ago and had to pay some duty tax at the post office too.  I’m not quite sure why the odd thing seems to get flagged for these charges but I know if you want your parcel you’ve got no choice but to pay up.  

On 17/03/2022 at 22:36, Ausvisitor said:

It's what your tastebuds are used to.  The chocolate on everything is slightly different here. When I first arrived, I noticed it and didn't like it as much.  Nowadays, when I go back to the UK, I don't like the British version as much as the Australian one.  I loathe British fish and chips now, too, where I used to hanker for them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's what your tastebuds are used to.  The chocolate on everything is slightly different here. When I first arrived, I noticed it and didn't like it as much.  Nowadays, when I go back to the UK, I don't like the British version as much as the Australian one.  I loathe British fish and chips now, too, where I used to hanker for them. 

If you can, get some coral trout, or golden snapper, aka fingermark ( lutjanus johnii), but be prepared to pay! They make anything else look second rate. Most of the coral trout catch is exported to Japan,

Cheers, Bobj.

Edited by Bobj
sp

7 hours ago, beketamun said:

It was marked as personal birthday gift, as per the guidance.

Isn't it based on the valuation? I sent my sister some earrings and had to pay tax on them, they were sent direct from the shop so I wasn't able to change the valuation price.

1 hour ago, beketamun said:

might as well carry stuff and send the rest via Amazon or Ebay, or just order from a UK site?

I can't remember the last time I bought a gift and sent it from Australia.   "Fair dinkum Aussie" presents are a bit of fun for the first couple of years after you migrate, but after that they're just souvenir rubbish that's going to end up gathering dust somewhere. I order from UK sites.

Well, my passport arrived!

We've got some TimTams, Brisbane Heat caps, the predictable Roxy bikinis and RipCurl swimmers. I think a couple of 100 Paracetamol and 96 'brufen packs and some Aussie chocolates would be good.

Really don't want to go. Going to be a lot of hard work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrDougster said:

Well, my passport arrived!

We've got some TimTams, Brisbane Heat caps, the predictable Roxy bikinis and RipCurl swimmers. I think a couple of 100 Paracetamol and 96 'brufen packs and some Aussie chocolates would be good.

Really don't want to go. Going to be a lot of hard work.

I’ve just returned home from a trip to Australia and bought back some Anzac biscuits to take into work.  My colleagues loved them and got through 2 packs in days.  A great small gift idea, especially for Brits who love a cuppa.  They are great dunking biscuits. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 3