Studying for Carpentry

Hi guys,

So I have been in Australia for 4 years with my working holiday visa and Covid visa, and have recently decided I would like to get qualified as a carpenter so I could either stay here or New Zealand. From my understanding I could do a student visa and pay for a course through Tafe, while working on the side to support myself.

However, I have come across a fast track course in the UK where I can get a city & guilds level 2 Diploma. If I attained this, would I be able to come back over to Australia and work and learn on the job and essentially fast track myself to getting my AFQ level 3, rather than starting from the beginning at TAFE? Or would this not be recognised over here and I would have to start from scratch at TAFE?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

The problem with getting a student visa and studying, is that most skilled visas require you to be qualified AND to have a few years' experience after you've got the qualification. So you'd get the qualification at TAFE and then have to go back to the UK to get the experience, and I guess you might have trouble getting them to recognise your Aussie qualification. 

So my guess would be, your best bet would be to go back to the UK, get your diploma, get the experience under your belt, then try for a skilled visa.

Thanks for the reply mate.

Yes I get you, something to consider. I believe you can maybe get a graduate visa after you qualify so you can get some work experience? Not 100% sure though. Or if they bring this new 3 year working holiday visa out for UK residents (due to the new Freetrade agreement) maybe I could get my experience then. Been spending all day looking, it’s hard to know what’s for definate tho!

1 hour ago, Addie96 said:

. I believe you can maybe get a graduate visa after you qualify so you can get some work experience?

The graduate visa is only available for certain courses.  I think it's only university degree courses unfortunately.  

I wouldn't bank on the 3 year working holiday visa either.  It's extremely unlikely that it will be retrospective (meaning, new WHV'ers will get it, but if you've already finished your WHV, they won't let you come back for a third year. If they did, they'd be swamped so I'd say no chance).  

Edited by Marisawright

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The graduate visa is only available for certain courses.  I think it's only university degree courses unfortunately.  

I wouldn't bank on the 3 year working holiday visa either.  It's extremely unlikely that it will be retrospective (meaning, new WHV'ers will get it, but if you've already finished your WHV, they won't let you come back for a third year. If they did, they'd be swamped so I'd say no chance).  

Ahhh ok I see, thank you. Hm tough one, really don’t want to spend 4 years in the UK haha so hopefully can find a way some how 

Ahhh ok I see, thank you. Hm tough one, really don’t want to spend 4 years in the UK haha so hopefully can find a way some how 

Honest answer?  you probably can't. Australia doesn't want unqualified, inexperienced people, except when they're on a working holiday.  If you're serious about migrating, book an appointment with a good migration agent like Suncoast Migration and get the facts on what you can and can't do.   

You wouldn't be the first WHV'er who thought they could find clever ways round the system and eventually came unstuck.

35 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Honest answer?  you probably can't. Australia doesn't want unqualified, inexperienced people, except when they're on a working holiday.  If you're serious about migrating, book an appointment with a good migration agent like Suncoast Migration and get the facts on what you can and can't do.   

You wouldn't be the first WHV'er who thought they could find clever ways round the system and eventually came unstuck.

Ye thanks for the honesty. Got a friend who’s going the Tafe and part time work route in Gold Coast so will see how he gets on afterwards. Good idea about the agent will look into that, thanks for the help

45 minutes ago, Addie96 said:

Got a friend who’s going the Tafe and part time work route in Gold Coast so will see how he gets on afterwards.

Lots of people find ways to blag a few years after their WHV through various ways and means. The trouble is, you run out of options within a few years and then, you've wasted the time you could have spent working towards a permanent visa. 

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Lots of people find ways to blag a few years after their WHV through various ways and means. The trouble is, you run out of options within a few years and then, you've wasted the time you could have spent working towards a permanent visa. 

Ye, kind of what I have done. That’s why I was thinking of making my time here a bit more useful and doing some training. My friend does the carpentry and works on the side, he seems to think he should be fine staying on a graduate visa afterwards so will see how he gets on first before making a decision. Either way I think even if I can do my training over here I would prefer that than doing it back in the UK. Could always move on afterwards if they don’t want me 

Ye, kind of what I have done. That’s why I was thinking of making my time here a bit more useful and doing some training. My friend does the carpentry and works on the side, he seems to think he should be fine staying on a graduate visa afterwards...

He thinks?  He either is or he isnt, the rules are straightforward.   There are specific courses you can get a graduate visa for. If his isn't on the list, then that's it.  Here's the page where he can check whether it's eligible or not:

https://cricos.education.gov.au/

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

He thinks?  He either is or he isnt, the rules are straightforward.   There are specific courses you can get a graduate visa for. If his isn't on the list, then that's it.  Here's the page where he can check whether it's eligible or not:

https://cricos.education.gov.au/

Yep, just checked on government website, can get an 18 month temporary graduate visa within 6 months of finishing your carpentry training. Then from there you can apply for PR as 18 months is sufficient time to showcase your experience. Thanks for your help :). Beats learning and staying in England for a few years 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/03/2022 at 11:46, Addie96 said:

Yep, just checked on government website, can get an 18 month temporary graduate visa within 6 months of finishing your carpentry training. Then from there you can apply for PR as 18 months is sufficient time to showcase your experience. Thanks for your help :). Beats learning and staying in England for a few years 

You may want to get some professional advice as although the above may be theoretically possible, there are many caveats and it is not straight forward.