PCR Tests

Cal2

I flew on on 6 February from Australia to UK via Singapore and had to have PCR in order to transit through Singapore. Not required for entry to either UK or Australia if fully vaccinated.

SingaporeAir has detailed information on the Covid testing requirements for transiting in Singapore. I think I read that the Singapore PCR testing requirement was lifted a week or two after I travelled. I don’t go back to Australia until early May so have not bothered to double check yet. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

I flew on on 6 February from Australia to UK via Singapore and had to have PCR in order to transit through Singapore. Not required for entry to either UK or Australia if fully vaccinated.

SingaporeAir has detailed information on the Covid testing requirements for transiting in Singapore. I think I read that the Singapore PCR testing requirement was lifted a week or two after I travelled. I don’t go back to Australia until early May so have not bothered to double check yet. 

I found this on SingaporeAir website:

Transit restrictions 

SIA and Scoot customers may transit through Singapore Changi Airport to their planned destinations. All transfer routes have been approved by the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore, with certain exceptions. Find out more by checking our latest list of regulatory requirements for transit passengers. You may also wish to learn about changes to your transit experience.

Covid-19 pre-departure test

Travellers are not required to take a pre-departure test to transit through Singapore. However, they should ensure they meet all applicable testing requirements for their final destination country. 

Passengers transiting through Changi Airport are reminded to wear their masks while in transit and observe safe distancing measures.

Transit passengers on Vaccinated Travel Lane (VTL) flights

Passengers travelling on a VTL flight to transit through Singapore must also be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and hold a valid vaccination certificate in English issued by any country.

Please refer here for more information on pre-departure test requirements.

I imagine same rules apply to Qantas flights transiting in Singapore.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cal2 said:

yes - not answering - very annoying I was just wondering if anyone had travelled recently 

thanks I'll keep trying 

You need to check the requirements of every country you enter, even if just transiting through.  So, for entering Australia you’ll need either a PCR within 48 hours of flying or an Antigen (RATS) within 24 hours.  If Singapore require a PCR within 48 hours for example you’ll need to do the PCR as near to flying as possible to be within that required time.  Returning to the UK will be easy.  No testing either side and as of tomorrow, no passenger locator form is needed.  So you have a Qantas app.  Mine is very informative about what I needed and when.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loopylu said:

To enter Australia it is still a requirement to have either a PCR or Antigen fit to fly test regardless of vaccination status.  To enter the UK no. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

To enter Australia it is still a requirement to have either a PCR or Antigen fit to fly test regardless of vaccination status.  To enter the UK no. 

Yes - you are right. I checked this last night. I think there was a brief period when it was not required and it was reinstated after I arrived in the UK in late Feb. The last time I checked was early Feb and it seemed that it was not required. I think it was reinstated when borders were reopened to all comers and not just citizens. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Loopylu said:

Yes - you are right. I checked this last night. I think there was a brief period when it was not required and it was reinstated after I arrived in the UK in late Feb. The last time I checked was early Feb and it seemed that it was not required. I think it was reinstated when borders were reopened to all comers and not just citizens. 

I think it’s always been required.  It certainly wasn’t reinstated in late Feb as I flew on 26th Feb and it was 100% needed then and the many weeks before that.  I had a family member visit me over Christmas, returning to Australia early January and they had to do one.  I had a friend fly to Australia late January and they had to do one and I had to do one.  It was definitely in place prior to the borders opening up to everyone as I got any exemption (which wasn’t needed in the end) but I was aware I needed to do a fit to fly test from the time I booked my flights which was late last year until the day I done it.  Australia has been very strict about people having to produce a fit to fly test.  I can’t imagine why they would have stopped them for a brief period, especially when their Covid numbers were high.  They announced late January that you could take an Antigen test within 24 hours of flying instead of the already in place PCR test if you wanted, maybe that’s what you’re thinking of. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I think it’s always been required.  It certainly wasn’t reinstated in late Feb as I flew on 26th Feb and it was 100% needed then and the many weeks before that.  I had a family member visit me over Christmas, returning to Australia early January and they had to do one.  I had a friend fly to Australia late January and they had to do one and I had to do one.  It was definitely in place prior to the borders opening up to everyone as I got any exemption (which wasn’t needed in the end) but I was aware I needed to do a fit to fly test from the time I booked my flights which was late last year until the day I done it.  Australia has been very strict about people having to produce a fit to fly test.  I can’t imagine why they would have stopped them for a brief period, especially when their Covid numbers were high.  They announced late January that you could take an Antigen test within 24 hours of flying instead of the already in place PCR test if you wanted, maybe that’s what you’re thinking of. 

I only read the SingaporeAir website and did not pay too much attention but it read like the PCR was only required for the transit through Singapore when I read it in mid January. I am sure you are right if it makes you feel better… 

• Like 1

Just now, Cal2 said:

yes, I did, they "don't know" it changes every day 

All i know is that people who went to Bali last Thursday after Bali opened up to tourists, had to go to the airport 48 hours before their flight and get a PCR test.

Of course UK may be different.

2 minutes ago, Parley said:

All i know is that people who went to Bali last Thursday after Bali opened up to tourists, had to go to the airport 48 hours before their flight and get a PCR test.

Of course UK may be different.

thanks - I think we'll just end up doing them and then of course we won't need them, better safe than sorry 

2 hours ago, Cal2 said:

yes, I did, they "don't know" it changes every day 

My sister in law works for Qantas in ticketing at Brisbane International and she told me the rules change daily. Have you looked at the SingaporeAir info I gave you as I don’t believe you need a PCR anymore to transit through Singapore. As SingaporeAir are state owned and based out of Changi they would know the latest position.

Personally I would not fly Qantas internationally because customer service is so poor as demonstrated by the lack of information provided to you on transit arrangements. 

I get email and text advice from SingaporeAir on my health requirements about 2 weeks before flying. 

Edited by Loopylu

Australia is ditching PCR tests for incoming travellers who are fully vaccinated from 17 April. Also Singapore announced today that no vaccinations certificates are required for travellers.  Normal service is slowly being resumed....

Qantas has also apparently produced a new ad with Kylie Minogue and other famous Aussies singing "I still call Australia home" which will be aired on Sunday.  Sounds vomit inducing.... 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Loopylu said:

Qantas has also apparently produced a new ad with Kylie Minogue and other famous Aussies singing "I still call Australia home" which will be aired on Sunday.  Sounds vomit inducing.... 

Why is it vomit inducing?

Does it make you want to vomit when people speak of their love for Australia.

It is nice that Kylie has moved home. And lives close to me in Melbourne's eastern suburbs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parley said:

Why is it vomit inducing?

Does it make you want to vomit when people speak of their love for Australia.

It is nice that Kylie has moved home. And lives close to me in Melbourne's eastern suburbs.

I watched all 3 minutes of it on youtube as presumably it will air on the commercial channels and I don't watch them.  It must have been very expensive to make and it wasn't as vomit inducing as I was led to believe.  Not really my cup of tea but not THAT bad.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

• Like 1

It appears that PCRs are being phased out - not needed to leave Australia or transit via Singapore and Helsinki, not needed for entry to the UK. Not required on Qantas or Finair - that's today - tomorrow it could all be different!

2 hours ago, Cal2 said:

It appears that PCRs are being phased out - not needed to leave Australia or transit via Singapore and Helsinki, not needed for entry to the UK. Not required on Qantas or Finair - that's today - tomorrow it could all be different!

Good to know!!! Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I'm just enduring my first cold in 2 years and I was sad and scared enough to do a COVID test, home test I mean, 2 in fact as I thought I'd mucked up the first. 

3 days into my cold and it's like being 3 days into a hangover.

It's not COVID and it's not flu but it could be one of the other bugs "They " are terrifying is about.

On 18/03/2022 at 20:53, Loopylu said:

My sister in law works for Qantas in ticketing at Brisbane International and she told me the rules change daily. Have you looked at the SingaporeAir info I gave you as I don’t believe you need a PCR anymore to transit through Singapore. As SingaporeAir are state owned and based out of Changi they would know the latest position.

Personally I would not fly Qantas internationally because customer service is so poor as demonstrated by the lack of information provided to you on transit arrangements. 
I get email and text advice from SingaporeAir on my health requirements about 2 weeks before flying. 

I went ANA last time, like night and day compared to Qantas or BA.  It's noticeable that nationalised 'national' carriers have treated passengers far better than the privatised national carriers, who've taken Government covid money and then still slashed their staff and services....Qantas totally let Australia down and are struggling to recover services now having got rid of so many staff who were sacked.   It begs the question, privatisation has not outsourced risk when these companies basically threatened to shut themselves down if Government's didn't bail them out, and then sacked staff anyway to keep gioving money to shareholders.  So where is the benefit over nationalised airlines that never threatened that and still managed to keep flying?  No difference, the taxpayer still bears the cost either way? 

Now we have these regional small airlines that took the risk in covid and replaced Qantas, being outcompeted and forced out again by Qantas who are using that bail out money to kill competition again and expect it all to go back to normal.  Sometimes you have no choice but to go with Qantas, but i'll try and use anybody else if i have to.   

All my Virgin miles are also being transferred to Singapore, they did their bit to keep going through the pandemic and incurred huge costs so i'll support them.

I have to say though, Qantas staff have been fabulous, they're far more helpful than Virgin who also shut down, but they seem mightily pissed off and there's little 'national pride' being shown in how they're perceived now.

Edited by beketamun