Mortgage and inviting refugees in UK

DrDougster

We're considering the implications of inviting a Ukrainian family to use our house in UK. It will be very interesting to see if there's additional council tax relief etc. for properties volunteered for this scheme and what the mortgage companies will categorise it as if remortgaging is needed. 

I'm not sure if anyone has heard of Malcolm Stuart the British journalist, but he was discussing it (briefly) on 3AW this morning.

People can get around $630 a month for hosting a Ukrainian refugee.

I got the impression they would come and live with you. I'm not sure if they can live alone in a rental property. There may be language issues.

4 hours ago, DrDougster said:

Meant to be a website going up this week. My understanding is that you can volunteer room(s) or an entire house. 350 quid a week. But, if it were the whole house then you'd hope the council would do something about the council tax too.

It’s £350 a month not a week. 

Indeed 350 a month. It will be interesting to see if there’s further help with tax, insurance etc. It would be great to feel we could do something 

This was in the paper this morning. Assume some more details might come out later today but some possible issues already in evidence.

MEMBERS of the public who apply to take in Ukrainian refugees will have to undergo background checks overseen by the Government to make sure they are suitable, it has emerged.

Applicants will also have to personally name the Ukrainians they wish to house rather than be offered an individual to support via a council or central government.

It is also understood that the £350-a-month “thank you” payment is only due to last a year, despite refugees being able to stay in the UK for up to three years.

Just found this, says you have to be living in the uk???

Q Can I take in a refugee?

A Most likely, yes. Anyone legally living in the UK is able to take part, whatever their nationality, according to a Government source who explained the rules. You will have to be able to provide a room or accommodation of some form to the individual or group moving here for at least six months. There is no hard limit on how many people you can take in, though the Government will scrutinise offers to take in large numbers.

A Government source said people who get a beneficial council tax bill or Universal Credit payment because they live alone will be unaffected if they take in a refugee, admitting laws may need to change to ensure this happens.

Indeed 350 a month. It will be interesting to see if there’s further help with tax, insurance etc. It would be great to feel we could do something 

But aren't you in Australia? As such you're not eligible for the scheme.

21 minutes ago, Parley said:

Is it £350 per refugee you take in or per house regardless of numbers

£350 per month doesn't sound like much if it was rent.

Per month, per property. So if you have 1 or 5, if they are in the same house it’s still £350. If a charity puts 2 families in 2 seperate properties they would get £700. It’s to help cover the extra costs of having extra people in your home, not a rental opportunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Is it £350 per refugee you take in or per house regardless of numbers

£350 per month doesn't sound like much if it was rent.

It’s not that much but it’s not really the same as rent.  People are being asked to help those in need so while they need some funding to cover higher bills, they shouldn’t be looking at this as a make money scheme.  £350 should go along way to cover a bit of extra electric/gas etc.  As the refugees are entitled to work/claim benefits, I assume they would either buy their own food or contribute to food.  Even so, I think £350 would cover an extra plate being served and the extra utilities used or near as.  The extra utilities wouldn’t be too much as you’d have your heating, lighting, the oven on etc whether that extra person was there or not.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Thanks Amber. Lots of questions not on the FAQs! Hopefully more details will emerge and we'll be able to help out when we are back in UK for a few months from April. It would be nice if we could work out how to offer the house on our return to Aus. 

3 hours ago, DrDougster said:

Thanks Amber. Lots of questions not on the FAQs! Hopefully more details will emerge and we'll be able to help out when we are back in UK for a few months from April. It would be nice if we could work out how to offer the house on our return to Aus. 

You have to be able to house them for six months.  I’ve also seen that hosts won’t be expected to pay for their food and other needs so the £350 really is just a thank you payment and it’s not taxed.  Council tax doesn’t change either.  I am sure people will have to check with their mortgage/home insurance providers that’s it’s ok.  I’d imagine both will be ok as the backlash would be big if not.  

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

On 15/03/2022 at 11:02, Tulip1 said:

You have to be able to house them for six months.  I’ve also seen that hosts won’t be expected to pay for their food and other needs so the £350 really is just a thank you payment and it’s not taxed.  Council tax doesn’t change either.  I am sure people will have to check with their mortgage/home insurance providers that’s it’s ok.  I’d imagine both will be ok as the backlash would be big if not.  

The weird thing about this is that UK immigration still seems to be allowing very few refugees to enter the UK. Could end up with very few people being eligible to this payment for that reason!

3 hours ago, Ken said:

The weird thing about this is that UK immigration still seems to be allowing very few refugees to enter the UK. Could end up with very few people being eligible to this payment for that reason!

It hasn't kicked in yet. Checks on host suitability among other things need to be ascertained.