Sending money from uk

Phil1712

1 hour ago, Phil1712 said:

I want to send money out to family in Australia.

Can anyone recommend the best way that involves minimal commission charges.

Thanks

Depends how much you’re sending.  If it’s a small amount I’d just send it from your bank.  You can do it quickly and easily yourself via internet banking.  If you are talking about large amounts then you may wish to seek out a money transfer facility that offers a more competitive rate.

43 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Depends how much you’re sending.  If it’s a small amount I’d just send it from your bank.  You can do it quickly and easily yourself via internet banking.  If you are talking about large amounts then you may wish to seek out a money transfer facility that offers a more competitive rate.

I disagree.  Some banks charge a flat fee for international transfers so you can lose an awful lot of what you're transferring.

It's very, very easy to use a service like Wise to transfer the money and the person you're sending it to won't know the difference - except that they'll end up with more of the money.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I disagree.  Some banks charge a flat fee for international transfers so you can lose an awful lot of what you're transferring.

It's very, very easy to use a service like Wise to transfer the money and the person you're sending it to won't know the difference - except that they'll end up with more of the money.

Banks generally do but we are talking about £5.  For me, if I was just sending a small amount and the exchange rate difference would be tiny then I’d rather sit at home and make the payment in seconds for the sake of a few quid.  The OP can spend more time doing the transfer with another provider if they want to.  As very easy using Wise is, I’d doubt it would be as quick as doing it through your bank online.  I could do that in seconds and wouldn’t bother registering/setting up Wise but that’s just me.  It’s all good if others wouldn’t.  The OP asked for options and I have given them one.  I’d call £5 minimal, others wouldn’t. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

On 11/03/2022 at 19:23, Marisawright said:

I'm using Wise. They are much cheaper than when I just used my UK bank to transfer to my Aussie bank. Now I transfer the money from my UK bank account to Wise's UK account and they transfer it to my Aussie account, usually within 24 hours.

The GBP to AUD rate has gone down! 

• Like 1