Moving to Gold Coast after gcse’s

snoozysuzy

Hi everyone, 
Our family has had a rough couple of years and the appeal of a new start in Oz is getting stronger!! We could go on a 444visa.

I'm struggling to get my head around school years in Queensland. My 16 year old does his GCSE’s this summer ( born February). What school year would he be in if he was to start at the beg of 2023? I’ve read that it’s important he does all year 11and 12 in Oz but can’t figure out whether he’d have to drop down a year group to do this!

many thanks

It isn’t a year back, 6 months at most and he may be one of the older kids but not by much as kids start later in many states. I am not familiar with QLD but was told a few years back that although good GCSEs may exempt someone from year 11 it was better to do the full 2 year course.

Be aware that although he won’t be treated as an international student for uni check his eligibility for a HELP loan otherwise you will have fees to pay up front for uni. I think if he is resident here before he is 19 he should be OK.

Do you have a path to PR planned?

Edited by rammygirl

12 hours ago, snoozysuzy said:

Hi everyone, 
Our family has had a rough couple of years and the appeal of a new start in Oz is getting stronger!! We could go on a 444visa.

I'm struggling to get my head around school years in Queensland. My 16 year old does his GCSE’s this summer ( born February). What school year would he be in if he was to start at the beg of 2023? I’ve read that it’s important he does all year 11and 12 in Oz but can’t figure out whether he’d have to drop down a year group to do this!

many thanks

He won't be dropping down a year, he will be moving to a foreign country with (several) different education systems.  His age cohort will be going into year 12 but you dont want him to do that (it is a 2 year course and getting things converted if you decide to hop in in the middle can leave the student at a real disadvantage), he can either be a bit older and join year 11 or he could look at doing year 11/12 at TAFE where there would be a different cohort. He won't be that much older than the rest of his cohort, some of them will begin to turn 17 in April/May and he will have turned in February.  It's not going to be the same as UK.  However, the best thing to do would probably leave him in UK to finish his A levels because they do travel quite well to Australia if he wanted to do Uni in Australia and meanwhile he keeps all his options open for doing Uni in UK if that's what he feels like whereas the converse is definitely not true.  I would imagine that A levels woul travel well to NZ if that was where his options were better, too.

21 hours ago, snoozysuzy said:

Hi everyone, 

many thanks

A lot depends on what he wants to do it once he leaves school. If its a trade, lots of kids drop out in Yr 10 and get apprenticeships. If he wants to go to uni and is not wanting a trade or even unsure of what he wants, he will be better to do Yr 11 and 12 once here.

Cal x 

• Like 1

On 10/03/2022 at 10:36, calNgary said:

A lot depends on what he wants to do it once he leaves school. If its a trade, lots of kids drop out in Yr 10 and get apprenticeships. If he wants to go to uni and is not wanting a trade or even unsure of what he wants, he will be better to do Yr 11 and 12 once here.

Cal x 

urrr - he wants to be a pro cricketer!! Not sure theres a set pathway for that 🤣

What demographic tends to do the TAFE courses? i/m presuming older people who dropped out of high school?

Socially going in to Year 11/12 would probably be the best I'd presume?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoozysuzy said:

urrr - he wants to be a pro cricketer!! Not sure theres a set pathway for that 🤣

What demographic tends to do the TAFE courses? i/m presuming older people who dropped out of high school?

Socially going in to Year 11/12 would probably be the best I'd presume?

Mixed demographic I would say. People his age who didn't make an effort the first time around or who found school to be too restrictive/challenging for a range of reasons, new arrivals and slightly older folk who should have done it before and didn't.  I don't think he would be that much out of place socially going into year 11 though.  You may even find a school which has a talented sports program, where he could get credit for playing competitive cricket, assuming, as has been said before, he's well on that pathway already.  

My son  born June 2004 is currently in Yr 12 in Qld. Qld has the most flexible education system allowing you to go up or down a year - as required - its not strict like other states. This means that he's one of the oldest - its not like the Uk where the age runs with the school year - ie Sept-July - but in Australia it runs with the Tax Year - July-June. Therefore my son could have been the youngest in one year - or the eldest in another.