Emergency Travel document Airline ticket changes

DrDougster

I know, it's me again with more passport problems!

So my old UK passport is with the passport office in Durham - sent 4th Feb, received 7th March!!!

We're flying back to UK for three months with Singapore airlines on 1st April. What are the chances of my new passport arriving in time? When do I bite the bullet and get an emergency travel document. When should I make the ticket changes as I booked the ticket with my old passport or can I just rock up to the airport with the new documents?

ps My wife had no issue with only having two months on her UK passport coming back to Aus.

Given the time the Mail is taking these days (unless they’re sending it expedited delivery), I think I would be going for an emergency travel document if you can - if your passport arrives in time then you’ve done a bit of belt and braces. We’ve had this discussion before but I’ve never had to give my passport number when Ive booked so I think as long as you rock up with a document which allows you to travel they won’t care (the name will be the same) - and you’d want to be sure that your document is connected with your visa as I assume you will want to be coming back. Good luck! 

• 2 months later...

Just wondering did you apply for the emergency travel document, and was this an easy process? We may be in the same position soon as husband's passport is with office in Durham. Still have 8 weeks but getting nervous. 

7 hours ago, kmrg said:

Just wondering did you apply for the emergency travel document, and was this an easy process? We may be in the same position soon as husband's passport is with office in Durham. Still have 8 weeks but getting nervous. 

I got one in April.  It's a pretty straightforward process and much quicker than getting your actual passport, especially if you live close enough to an embassy to go and pick it up (mine was couriered from Singapore which took about 5 days).  The actual processing takes about 2 days so you need to ensure you leave enough time for it to be processed and go and go get it or have it delivered.  Hopefully though your husbands passport will be here in time and you won't need one.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

We applied at end April, passport arrived at Durham office on 12th May but still only showing as passport received. So they will have had it a month next week, hopefully there will be some action then. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update for those interested in a timeline, my husbands UK passport has now been posted to us and due to arrive 21st June.

Hopefully it will keep close to that timeline if so then will have taken under 2 months as originally applied and post from Australia on 30th April.