Diabetes prescriptions through Medicare

martl_2001

Hi

I'm a type 1 diabetic currently treated by insulin. My blood sugar levels are monitored via a Freestyle Libre sensor on my arm. Both are supplied for free via NHS prescription. A couple of questions for any diabetics that have emigrated.

Are Freestyle Libre sensors available and subsidised via Medicare?

How much are your average prescription costs per month?

Appreciate this is quite niche so any help appreciated.

Thanks

I heard something on the radio about this. Currently they are not subsidised except for people on NDIS which is hard enough for Aussies to navigate never mind immigrants. They are available privately for hire and are expensive. There is a push to have them more widely available as they do save money in the long run by more effectively controlling blood sugar.

I would maybe contact a diabetes group or charity to find out for sure though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

I heard something on the radio about this. Currently they are not subsidised except for people on NDIS which is hard enough for Aussies to navigate never mind immigrants. They are available privately for hire and are expensive. There is a push to have them more widely available as they do save money in the long run by more effectively controlling blood sugar.

I would maybe contact a diabetes group or charity to find out for sure though. 

I was diagnosed type 2 on Thursday last week, I went to a local private Diabetic clinic, was charged $120 for a 1 hour consultation, which included blood test kit, had a  $55 rebate on Medicare. The form for NDIS filled in while there, should have been sent off immediately, but got mixed into my information folder. Handed into my pharmacist Friday morning, NDIS number emailed several hours later, card to follow, can’t fault that,  I’m a PR but not entitled to any benefits. As of yet I don’t need any medication, so I can’t help with ongoing costs.

Hope that helps a little, it’s hard if you have an ongoing health condition to cope with the necessary cost to control the condition, as my daughter is epileptic, and has a hefty monthly prescription bill.

• Like 1

Don't get confused between the NDIS and NDSS. Different things. NDIS covers payments for costs associated with disabilities. Once you get past pension age (65) you are not eligible for the NDIS. 

The NDSS is National Diabetes Services Scheme and is specifically and only for diabetes sufferers.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, NickyNook said:

Don't get confused between the NDIS and NDSS. Different things. NDIS covers payments for costs associated with disabilities. Once you get past pension age (65) you are not eligible for the NDIS. 

The NDSS is National Diabetes Services Scheme and is specifically and only for diabetes sufferers.

Yes sorry, my mistake, new to all this and confess I didn’t check the initials were different

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for your responses. Yes the libre sensor is a sticky plastic patch with a needle that sits on your arm but needs replacing every 2 weeks. Costs £50 per fortnight in the Uk but i get it free on prescription. It's a game changer after pricking my finger tips to draw blood for so long, and let's me keep my blood sugar levels relatively normal. I'm 39 btw so not near pension age yet. 

I'll check out the linked site for more info. From previous research I found a little on insulin costs but nothing on subsidised availability of the libre sensor. 

14 hours ago, ramot said:

I was diagnosed type 2 on Thursday last week, I went to a local private Diabetic clinic, was charged $120 for a 1 hour consultation, which included blood test kit, had a  $55 rebate on Medicare. The form for NDIS filled in while there, should have been sent off immediately, but got mixed into my information folder. Handed into my pharmacist Friday morning, NDIS number emailed several hours later, card to follow, can’t fault that,  I’m a PR but not entitled to any benefits. As of yet I don’t need any medication, so I can’t help with ongoing costs.

Hope that helps a little, it’s hard if you have an ongoing health condition to cope with the necessary cost to control the condition, as my daughter is epileptic, and has a hefty monthly prescription bill.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're getting on ok with it all. Despite being an adult I only got diagnosed with a rare form of t1 diabetes 3 years ago so can empathise.

• Like 1

For anyone interested, Freestyle Libre sensors and other flash glucose monitors are fully subsidised through NDIS but only to a select proportion of T1 sufferers. Including under 21s, pregnant women, pensioners with a particular card, and anyone with a DHA healthcare card. The latter seems to be only for those on benefits from what I can see.

So 58,000 are eligible of the estimated 180,000 T1s in Australia. Otherwise it's $95 a fortnight.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, martl_2001 said:

For anyone interested, Freestyle Libre sensors and other flash glucose monitors are fully subsidised through NDIS but only to a select proportion of T1 sufferers. Including under 21s, pregnant women, pensioners with a particular card, and anyone with a DHA healthcare card. The latter seems to be only for those on benefits from what I can see.

So 58,000 are eligible of the estimated 180,000 T1s in Australia. Otherwise it's $95 a fortnight.

For future reference, it's NDDS not NDIS (which is the body that looks after disability).  

This kind of thing often catches migrants out.  Medicare is not the exact equivalent of the NHS and there are many aspects of healthcare that you have to pay for.  

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

For future reference, it's NDDS not NDIS (which is the body that looks after disability).  

This kind of thing often catches migrants out.  Medicare is not the exact equivalent of the NHS and there are many aspects of healthcare that you have to pay for.  

NDSS not NDDS . So easy to make mistake from NDIS to the Diabetic support initials as I did in my post as the letters are so similar. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, martl_2001 said:

Yes that is what I heard on the radio. People with late diagnosis have to pay. There may be a change to this in the future as it actually does make economic sense, preventing hospitalisation and further complications down the line.

The young lady being interviewed was hiring a device privately and paying more than that I think as she couldn’t even get the cheaper version where she lived.

If it is making it to the media attention you never know………

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 2

On 14/03/2022 at 20:07, Chedd2107 said:

OP check out the type 1 diabetics in Australia Facebook group. You'll get great information from folks about costs there.

I think that's where I saw the original announcement that only so many are entitled. Everyone was kicking off in the comments about how it should be available to all T1s. In case it isn't I'll have another look. Cheers.