At what point do you give up?

Hi everyone 

Submitted my application march 2020 (491). Now been waiting two years. At what point do you realize that it will never happen. That your application is lost in the system and you have spent thousands of pounds to achieve your goal.

As we push on from pandemic to get back to normality how long do we wait? Another 6 months? Another 2years.

We need to get on with our lives and need answers.

Agreed, the lack of information is ridiculous, I've been waiting since July 2020, I'm stuck in limbo in a third country, I can't return to UK without major hassle and expense, I can't work where I am, my agent has no info, there's no info from the Australian government, it really makes you question the decision to pursue or give up on the Oz dream.

14 minutes ago, Joe/Rose said:

I think you’ve got to keep the faith, I applied back in Dec 2019, as yet nothing!

My intuition is telling me that things should start  moving by July/Aug

Good luck

I don't understand, why open up and encourage people to apply when the back log (caused by the pandemic) has not been sorted 

2 hours ago, Phil1712 said:

I don't understand, why open up and encourage people to apply when the back log (caused by the pandemic) has not been sorted 

Because their job isn't to clear the backlog, it's to attract and admit the best talent to Australia, they can't do that if no one is applying

39 minutes ago, Phil1712 said:

But I'm very good at my talent. 😉

I'm sure you are 🙂

I meant it as if they are hoping to attract the next "rock-star" plumber or nurse to Australia and they aren't already in the queue then they can't be given a visa until the reopen and start publicising the fact that applications are open again

On 05/03/2022 at 19:29, Phil1712 said:

Submitted my application march 2020 (491). Now been waiting two years. At what point do you realize that it will never happen. That your application is lost in the system ....

To get back to your original question.   Your application is not lost in the system.  I'm sure you're aware that all processing of 491 visas stopped in March 2020, except for occupations needed to fight the pandemic (e.g. medical staff).  So it is no surprise that your application hasn't progressed in the queue, it's just been frozen wherever it was at the time.

Where are you seeing that Australia is encouraging people to apply for visas now ?  Is there some kind of advertising campaign going on?  

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

To get back to your original question.   Your application is not lost in the system.  I'm sure you're aware that all processing of 491 visas stopped in March 2020, except for occupations needed to fight the pandemic (e.g. medical staff).  So it is no surprise that your application hasn't progressed in the queue, it's just been frozen wherever it was at the time.

Where are you seeing that Australia is encouraging people to apply for visas now ?  Is there some kind of advertising campaign going on?  

What are suggesting? 🤔

2 hours ago, Phil1712 said:

What are suggesting? 🤔

1. You're thinking the long wait means your application is lost in the system.  That's not a logical conclusion.  It is just frozen like every other application in the system in March 2020. Why imagine something worse?

2. You are saying that Australia is encouraging new people to apply, which seems silly when there's such a backlog. I'm just curious where you are seeing Australia encouraging new people to apply?

If the States open their Migration program to offshore candidates (all sectors), that would suggest that they are advertising for new applicants? This actually has been the case though, states inviting new applicants (quota received from the government) but dha not clearing the backlog fast enough. Non priority skills does not mean no progress whatsoever, it means low priority. There has been non priority visas processed that were over 2 years old recently. 

You may need to venture further than PIO to find this all out should you wish to. 

5 hours ago, Southlander said:

If the States open their Migration program to offshore candidates (all sectors), that would suggest that they are advertising for new applicants?

No, it doesn't.  It just means they are accepting new applications, not that they are actively advertising for them.  That is just how Australia works, nonsensical though it may seem.  They've just put the whole system back to normal without any recognition of the backlog.

Just look at the aged parent visa. There is such a huge backlog that right now, it's going to take over 15 years to process it.  Yet they are still accepting new applications - they're just going to the back of that very long queue.

21 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

The entire immigration system over recent decade is largely non sensical though. It's a business and more to do with economic factors than to service demand in the job front. 

It certainly seems that way.  People migrate to Australia with high hopes only to find out how hard it is to find a job once they get here.  I dare say not in all cases but far too many poor souls are left very disappointed after spending so much money to get here.  Again I had no idea about this until I joined this forum.  Anyone who has a nice comfortable lifestyle in their home country should think very carefully indeed before migrating.

• Like 7

Guest AltyMatt
3 minutes ago, Toots said:

It certainly seems that way.  People migrate to Australia with high hopes only to find out how hard it is to find a job once they get here.  I dare say not in all cases but far too many poor souls are left very disappointed after spending so much money to get here.  Again I had no idea about this until I joined this forum.  Anyone who has a nice comfortable lifestyle in their home country should think very carefully indeed before migrating.

So true. Most unskilled, low paying jobs appear to be filled by migrants, and you have to wonder what happened to their Aussie dream.

I think @Marisawright has said it many times before, Australia has changed and it is no longer guaranteed that life will be better on the other side of the world.

In fact the reality is if you aren't massively happy with your life in the UK you be probably will find exactly the same issues in AUS just with hotter weather 

Migration (for Brits at least) is now not really a "better economic life" choice it is more about adventure and possibly better weather related, so unless you have a good life in the UK you probably won't find one in AUS either, and if you have a good life in UK why rush to leave it?

So nowadays it's more about wanting to do something different and experience stuff rather than moving to double salary (although I'm sure there are still examples of that happening in some industries)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AltyMatt said:

So true. Most unskilled, low paying jobs appear to be filled by migrants, and you have to wonder what happened to their Aussie dream.

The problem is that many under-estimate how much the cost of the process is, and so haven't got the necessary buffer when they get here, so need to work.

Once you start working in a lower job than you had in your home country, you become locked in with prospective employers only seeing the Aussie job you are doing not the job you had back home.

It's an expensive business this migration lark, we have so far spent £9k in the first month on temp accom, licences, food, toursim and bonds/deposits for house.

Now I'm sure you can get cheaper temp accomodation than we did ($1300 a week) but we wanted a nice place for the first few weeks as we knew house hunting would be stressful (and it was)

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

The problem is that many under-estimate how much the cost of the process is, and so haven't got the necessary buffer when they get here, so need to work.

Once you start working in a lower job than you had in your home country, you become locked in with prospective employers only seeing the Aussie job you are doing not the job you had back home.

It's an expensive business this migration lark, we have so far spent £9k in the first month on temp accom, licences, food, toursim and bonds/deposits for house.

Now I'm sure you can get cheaper temp accomodation than we did ($1300 a week) but we wanted a nice place for the first few weeks as we knew house hunting would be stressful (and it was)

Sounds like you are regretting your move already. Hope not.

4 hours ago, Parley said:

Sounds like you are regretting your move already. Hope not.

Oh no absolutely not, we are loving every minute. We had planned for it being at least 3 months before starting work (by choice). We knew we would blow about £18k on this time period including getting the house deposits done.

We've found the house we want to live in and move in 9 days from now. The only thing I wasn't ready for is how competitive the rental market is, that is stressful, especially when you don't yet have Medicaid cards in hand or payslips from Australia, just makes the process harder.

That and looking at houses eats into valuable having fun time.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Marisawright said:

No, it doesn't.  It just means they are accepting new applications, not that they are actively advertising for them.  That is just how Australia works, nonsensical though it may seem.  They've just put the whole system back to normal without any recognition of the backlog.

Just look at the aged parent visa. There is such a huge backlog that right now, it's going to take over 15 years to process it.  Yet they are still accepting new applications - they're just going to the back of that very long queue.

The problem with parent and partner visas is that they are entitled to apply and have no idea how many will and cannot limit them from doing so. The skilled visa applicants they can dictate the numbers by limiting who applies, under what criteria and setting occupation ceilings. But they are two very different processes. Either way the bubbles seem to grow all the time and can they can let the backlog stretch as far as they wish to. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Southlander said:

The problem with parent and partner visas is that they are entitled to apply and have no idea how many will and cannot limit them from doing so. The skilled visa applicants they can dictate the numbers by limiting who applies, under what criteria and setting occupation ceilings.

Yes they can.  The parent visas also have strict limits on who applies, under what criteria.  The only difference is the occupation limits.   There is an annual quota, just like skilled visas.  Also, there is nothing to stop them closing the queue to new applications due to overwhelming numbers - both New Zealand and Canada have done it in the past. 

That's my point.  At the moment, it's crazy that aged parents can even apply for the parent visa, given they'll be waiting anything from 15 to 30 years depending on the visa.  Maybe it's crazy that people can apply for 189 and 190 visas given the backlog caused by Covid.  But it just doesn't seem to be something that they do.

On 13/03/2022 at 06:56, Toots said:

So very true. I'm at a loss to know just how people get over the basic hurdles like finding a place to rent. What a chore it must be these days even before finding adequate employment. A big warning sign should be illuminated for potential punters. I think a punt being the adequate word to describe attempting a life in Australia in 2022.  

• Like 1

On 13/03/2022 at 07:02, AltyMatt said:

It was never about to happen for many. Some from certain parts of the world will sacrifice a lot for their kids. Those kids often have opportunities that would be less likely to avail themselves in their former home country. I've seen it many times. But for younger migrants, perhaps educated abroad the path is more difficult. Hence why so many people drive Uber or cabs and so on with such apparent degrees. They do fill jobs that Australian born no longer want to do. People here have become much more selective in their 'employment' choices with many taking up other means to make a living. 

On 05/03/2022 at 08:29, Phil1712 said:

Hi everyone 

Submitted my application march 2020 (491). Now been waiting two years. At what point do you realize that it will never happen. That your application is lost in the system and you have spent thousands of pounds to achieve your goal.

As we push on from pandemic to get back to normality how long do we wait? Another 6 months? Another 2years.

We need to get on with our lives and need answers.

Have faith, we also submitted our EOI in March 2020 and received our invitation for a 190 in March 2022. Unfortunately when our agent went to submit the documentation the link did not work and now the 14 days has expired so currently waiting on NSW to respond, if they do not respond it will mean submitting a new EOI and hope that we get another invitation…… 

8 hours ago, Sparkybaz said:

Have faith, we also submitted our EOI in March 2020 and received our invitation for a 190 in March 2022. Unfortunately when our agent went to submit the documentation the link did not work and now the 14 days has expired so currently waiting on NSW to respond, if they do not respond it will mean submitting a new EOI and hope that we get another invitation…… 

That's wierd, I know our agent refused to wait until the end of the period and uploaded in pieces from the moment we got the invite.

His reasons were

1) avoids a mad rush at end

2) you know if any issues straight away 

Hope you get invited again or NSW extend the time