shipping company

RandL

Hi,

We are  moving back from the UK --> Perth ,  yeah  borders are finally open again.

Just getting some quotes .

I have used PSS in the past, seen some posts about John Mason.

I was wondering if anybody has used Doree Bonner or Mercia Movers and could share their experience , good or bad .

I did look at trip advisor reviews but the ratings are as  varied as Boris Johnson's answers to a  "Yes" or "No" question. 

I also understand that the experience differs greatly depending on the crew you get on the day of the move .

Movecubes aren't big enough and to expensive 

Many Thanks

It's impossible to find a company that has all good reviews, because every person who sends goods with a company is dealing with a different group of people.   You hire a company in the UK and they'll send their truck to pick up your goods, but although the supervisor will be an experienced permanent employee, many of the crew will be contractors.  Then at the port, the container is handed over to the ship, which the company has no control over at all.  Then when it gets to Australia, the company who unloads your goods is a separate entity from the British one, or it's a sub-contractor or a franchise, and those companies also use contractors.

So it's not just the crew you get on the day of the move but all the other bits in between, most of which the company has no control over.

As above, many are franchises so it really does depend. Go with your gut on your local team. Check Exactly what you get for your money and any extra charges you could incur (access, is one they don’t often mention). Oh and get independent insurance, we used Letton Percival for this and they were great when we had to claim for a damaged TV.

9 hours ago, rammygirl said:

As above, many are franchises so it really does depend. Go with your gut on your local team. Check Exactly what you get for your money and any extra charges you could incur (access, is one they don’t often mention). Oh and get independent insurance, we used Letton Percival for this and they were great when we had to claim for a damaged TV.

thanks that's good advice .  I  do believe that a lot depends on the local crew you get as they are the ones packing your household with care or not . I agree re insurance , alway use somebody independent. I have always used Letton Percival in the past

We have done this over 10 times , internationally and coast to cost in Oz over the last 30 years, this is going to be the last one  !

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's impossible to find a company that has all good reviews, because every person who sends goods with a company is dealing with a different group of people.   You hire a company in the UK and they'll send their truck to pick up your goods, but although the supervisor will be an experienced permanent employee, many of the crew will be contractors.  Then at the port, the container is handed over to the ship, which the company has no control over at all.  Then when it gets to Australia, the company who unloads your goods is a separate entity from the British one, or it's a sub-contractor or a franchise, and those companies also use contractors.

So it's not just the crew you get on the day of the move but all the other bits in between, most of which the company has no control over.

Yes I get all that , I was simply asking if somebody had some experience with these two specific companies as I haven't seen them being mentioned here before 

37 minutes ago, RandL said:

Yes I get all that , I was simply asking if somebody had some experience with these two specific companies as I haven't seen them being mentioned here before 

In all my years on the forum , i have read plenty of positive feedback about all the company's you mention except Mercia,, i cannot recall ever hearing of them before. Doree Bonner were very highly spoken of on here numerous times,as too was PSS.

Lots of luck with the move

Cal x

2 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Lots of luck with the move

thanks very much , can't wait to get back to WA.

Same here i never heard of Mercia before , but  I had good responses from them so far and read as good as others reviews online.

so hard these days to sort the fakes from the real .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandL said:

thanks that's good advice .  I  do believe that a lot depends on the local crew you get as they are the ones packing your household with care or not . I agree re insurance , alway use somebody independent. I have always used Letton Percival in the past

We have done this over 10 times , internationally and coast to cost in Oz over the last 30 years, this is going to be the last one  !

Crikey I thought we were bad with 4 international moves and several other country wide moves. Good luck with this one! Things have gotten more expensive and slow since covid but they will need a new excuse soon!

• Like 1