Costs

Adam89harris

1 hour ago, Adam89harris said:

Hi

Just looking to see if anyone could share there totally cost from application to foot in the ground over there? 

Have a consultation with a good agent (the ones mentioned above are all highly regarded on this forum) It will be a small outlay (when considering the overall cost) but will provide you with many answers.  They will know what your chances of success are and if you decide to ask them to do the whole thing for you they will present your case as best as it can be.  They will also be able to give you a good idea of your total costs.  Moving is a big commitment and important to you.   It’s not worth getting anything wrong.  

6 hours ago, Adam89harris said:

Hi

Just looking to see if anyone could share there totally cost from application to foot in the ground over there? 

Agent fees, vetassess, visa, IELTs, medical and police checks (3 adults - 2 adults and one just 18 yrv old) was £9,800 ( we had a lot of police checks as we have lived in many places)

Sale of house £6,000 to estate agent

4 weeks accomodation in AUS £2,500

Living whilst waiting to start work (4 weeks) £2,000

Flights (premium economy) £7,500

So all in 

£26,000 to get from application to finishing first month in Australia...

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

Agent fees, vetassess, visa, IELTs, medical and police checks (3 adults - 2 adults and one just 18 yrv old) was £9,800 ( we had a lot of police checks as we have lived in many places)

Sale of house £6,000 to estate agent

4 weeks accomodation in AUS £2,500

Living whilst waiting to start work (4 weeks) £2,000

Flights (premium economy) £7,500

So all in 

£26,000 to get from application to finishing first month in Australia...

I have seen several other people give their costs and I would say that's pretty representative. 

Plus you have to add on, either shipping your belongings or buying new furniture for your new home.

13 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I have seen several other people give their costs and I would say that's pretty representative. 

Plus you have to add on, either shipping your belongings or buying new furniture for your new home.

Yes, haven't done that yet as we came just with suitcases and still looking for the house

50 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Yes, haven't done that yet as we came just with suitcases and still looking for the house

I know the OP said "foot in the ground" but I think it's always worth mentioning, because I think some people get a distorted view of the "cost of moving" as just the journey itself.   And then it's a shock when they haven't budgeted for kitting out a household from scratch, something most people never have to do, so they don't realise how many thousands it's going to cost.

Edited by Marisawright

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I know the OP said "foot in the ground" but I think it's always worth mentioning, because I think some people get a distorted view of the "cost of moving" as just the journey itself.   And then it's a shock when they haven't budgeted for kitting out a household from scratch, something most people never have to do, so they don't realise how many thousands it's going to cost.

It largely depends on the OPs situation. There are some circumstance where it can cost significantly less eg if you’re young and single, come with nothing but a suitcase, move into shared accommodation, have a job lined up before you arrive etc. But I appreciate that typically these questions come from people with a family and more possessions/complexity/cost involved.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It probably cost less to furnish a house than I'd have guessed and highlighted the amount of crap you accumulate and just don't need. We've been in a rented house for over two years and we're starting to accumulate it again!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DIG85 said:

You can furnish a property for surprisingly little.

Yes, but as others have said, so much depends on your standards and expectations.   If you're happy to buy second-hand furniture, or cheap throwaway furniture just to get you over the hump to start with, that's fine.  But if, like many families, you're arriving with the expectation of a nicer home than in the UK, it can be a different story.  

The best idea is always to do some trial shopping, e.g. at Ikea.com.au if you're happy with the basics or at harveynorman.com.au.   And of course you mustn't forget pots, pans, cutlery, crockery, utensils, kitchen appliances, whitegoods, towels, bedlinen, ornaments and pictures, outdoor furniture, etc.  All stuff young singles probably don't need but a family can't live without, (or don't want to live without because they want to create a home not just a house).

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

It largely depends on the OPs situation. There are some circumstance where it can cost significantly less eg if you’re young and single, come with nothing but a suitcase, move into shared accommodation, have a job lined up before you arrive etc. But I appreciate that typically these questions come from people with a family and more possessions/complexity/cost involved.

I agree.  When my eldest moved to Australia many years ago his costs were quite low.  He did have a permanent resident visa already so no cost there but he booked a cheap one way flight (premium economy flights as quoted above are an added cost - an adult can get a one way flight for about £600/£700 if they wanted to) a cheap hotel for 2 weeks and set himself a goal to get a job, a rental and a bank account all sorted out in those two weeks. It’s important to have a reserve as things don’t always go to plan.  He had a good reserve so no pressures but he didn’t want to spend unnecessarily.  The rental deposit etc was the biggest cost but he’d have had that cost when he left home whether that was there or here.  I think the costs quoted above give a good indication but if you don’t fly premium economy and you don’t have a house to sell then at least £11k can be knocked off that £26k.  

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DrDougster said:

It probably cost less to furnish a house than I'd have guessed and highlighted the amount of crap you accumulate and just don't need. We've been in a rented house for over two years and we're starting to accumulate it again!

Certainly agree, especially about the accumulation ,lol.. we arrived 15 years ago with around 8 suitcases and 8 boxes plus some tools en route in a shared container.. I look around now at all the crap ive got lying around and it is unreal. Certainly time for a de clutter,lol, in fact well overdue! 

When buying furniture ,cheap doesn't have to be throw away. We used Super A Mart for our lounge, tv unit etc 14 years ago and the stuff is still going strong, in fact i was so impressed by the quality we bought a dining room set up not long ago. Always ask if you can have a discount if buying a few bits too as it is quite normal here.

If you do want cheap and cheerful you cant beat Ikea or Fantastic furniture, the latter do full room packages from around $1000. so great if you are renting for a while and not sure what sort of home you will eventually buy. Second hand ,you cannot beat Facebook Marketplace or Gumtree, both sites i have had great bargains from.

Electrical stuff we used Retrovision, we bought a few items and after asking for a discount got some smaller items free of charge. i thought Harvey Norman a touch over priced but have since bought stuff from there and its been ok.

Cal x

• Like 1

10 hours ago, calNgary said:

When buying furniture ,cheap doesn't have to be throw away. We used Super A Mart for our lounge, tv unit etc 14 years ago ...

Maybe I've misjudged them.  We bought dining chairs from them and they lasted about 5 minutes. In fact most of our furniture is Ikea, not for cheapness but because I like the minimalist Scandinavian look.  

I think the quality has deteriorated in that 14 years though. Same with everywhere tbh, unless you are paying top dollar.

We have a leather Ikea sofa that we have had for about 13 years, it has been in storage, moved houses and country. It is still great and nowhere have we found one of similar quality recently, fortunately the style is timeless!

We recently bought stuff from Early Settler, a good range of stuff decent quality at reasonable prices……and yes we got a discount, always worth asking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rammygirl said:

I think the quality has deteriorated in that 14 years though. Same with everywhere tbh, unless you are paying top dollar.

We have a leather Ikea sofa that we have had for about 13 years, it has been in storage, moved houses and country. It is still great and nowhere have we found one of similar quality recently, fortunately the style is timeless!

We recently bought stuff from Early Settler, a good range of stuff decent quality at reasonable prices……and yes we got a discount, always worth asking.

No point in providing quality, if it lasts 15 years they and their competitors have lost you as a customer for 15 years. You're no use to the industry at all.

If it lasts 4 years by the time 15 years is up you'll have forgotten how bad the set was you had before and come back. even if you don't forget there was still a chance.

Edited by can1983
added paragraph

There have been numerous companies fold because the stuff they made was so good and lasted so long that they ran out of customers. In my industry it was kempf and remmers who made precise instruments for testing ships and propellers. The stuff lasted 50 plus years and once everyone had one......

Think iphone, my iphone 3 lasted 8 years - it was too good

1 hour ago, can1983 said:

There have been numerous companies fold because the stuff they made was so good and lasted so long that they ran out of customers. In my industry it was kempf and remmers who made precise instruments for testing ships and propellers. The stuff lasted 50 plus years and once everyone had one......

Think iphone, my iphone 3 lasted 8 years - it was too good

Unlike the new iPhones which barely last long enough to be upgraded for the new version 12 months later

If we're really going off topic, thinking of the like for like cost is probably not useful. We certainly don't want the same things here as we do in UK. For example our $100K Mercedes in UK is replaced by a $12K secondhand Hyundai here and we're not bothered at all. We just don't feel the need for the flash car here. However, I don't have a $2K coffee machine in UK and that seems an absolute essential here!

Professional costs were the most expensive things for us and they need factoring in. 

• Like 2

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for your time for our question. I wonder if giving more accurate details would help us more so. 

We are looking to rent our house for at least a year of being away until we are established somewhere.. Has anyone done this? 

Also has anyone done this without an agent? We are doing the skills assessment as we speak and we are doing it by our self's. Looking to gain a 190 state sponsored visa. 

Any tips are most welcomed. 

Adz & Laney