Hotels in Sydney

HappyHeart

The question is, what do you mean by "attractions"?    I loved Sydney as a place to live, but (for me at least) once you've seen the Harbour Bridge and the Harbour, you've seen "the sights". 

So it really depends what else you want to see.   

Airport to city is not far at all.   If there's more than one of you, it's cheaper to take a taxi than take the train, because there's a silly surcharge on the train over and above the normal fare. 

23 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The question is, what do you mean by "attractions"?    I loved Sydney as a place to live, but (for me at least) once you've seen the Harbour Bridge and the Harbour, you've seen "the sights". 

So it really depends what else you want to see.   

Airport to city is not far at all.   If there's more than one of you, it's cheaper to take a taxi than take the train, because there's a silly surcharge on the train over and above the normal fare. 

Never been so the bridge and all the touristy stuff

27 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

We prefer the freedom of an apartment to a hotel, and as my daughter lives near Bondi, we stay at the Meriton Bondi apartments, but they are also in the central area.  Obviously Bondi Junction isn’t  central, but it’s only minutes on the train. You can sometimes get a good rate if you can book well in advance, you don’t have to pay early and can cancel up to 24hrs ahead of arriving. We book direct and check the price every so often, if it goes down, you cancel and rebook.

Worth looking on Luxury Escapes, they have some very good offers.

I’m off next week for a long weekend, to catch up with my daughter, going to see the Matisse exhibition and Hamilton and have a good pub meal at either the Duke of Clarence or the Lord Dudley, as near to the real thing as possible.

Lots to do as a first time visitor to Sydney, the Rocks is interesting area to visit.

Have a great visit

Edited by ramot
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ramot said:

We prefer the freedom of an apartment to a hotel, and as my daughter lives near Bondi, we stay at the Meriton Bondi apartments, but they are also in the central area.  Obviously Bondi Junction isn’t  central, but it’s only minutes on the train. You can sometimes get a good rate if you can book well in advance, you don’t have to pay early and can cancel up to 24hrs ahead of arriving. We book direct and check the price every so often, if it goes down, you cancel and rebook.

Worth looking on Luxury Escapes, they have some very good offers.

I’m off next week for a long weekend, to catch up with my daughter, going to see the Matisse exhibition and Hamilton and have a good pub meal at either the Duke of Clarence or the Lord Dudley, as near to the real thing as possible.

Lots to do as a first time visitor to Sydney, the Rocks is interesting area to visit.

Have a great visit

We have friends who have stayed at Meriton apartments in Pitt Street, Kent Street (very central) and Meriton apartments near Chinatown. 

@HappyHeart also recommend the Rocks area, ferry from Circular Quay to Manly.  Nice walk through the Corso then turn right for a lovely walk to Shelly Beach.  You can also take a train to the Blue Mountains for the day.  How long are you staying in Sydney?  The two pubs Ramot mentioned are very good.

Ramot, have a great time with your daughter in Sydney.   

Edited by Toots
  • Thanks 2

It’s been very quiet down in sydney, was down there 2 weeks ago and 6 weeks prior for weekend visits. 
hotels are quite pricey at the moment, we tried the Adina appartments basic but ok cost was good considering location (darling harbour) . 3 min walk to Barangaroo wharf were you can take the ferry round to circular key. We did stop at crown towers on a trip down back in November very expensive while rooms and food there is up with Dubai service is not. 
Grand Hyat is ok if you book far enough in advance, try luxury escapes get some good deals on there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

I think the suggestion of Bondi Junction is a good one.  Very easy to get into the city on the train and you're also close to all the Eastern Suburbs beaches.  Bondi is the most famous but a real young persons' hangout and the other beaches are more family-friendly IMO.   Coogee used to have some great restaurants and cafes, Watson's Bay is great (book at Doyles if you're feeling rich but if not, I think having a pub lunch at the hotel is even nicer, or you can even buy something at the kiosk and eat it on the beach).  

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think the suggestion of Bondi Junction is a good one.  Very easy to get into the city on the train and you're also close to all the Eastern Suburbs beaches.  Bondi is the most famous but a real young persons' hangout and the other beaches are more family-friendly IMO.   Coogee used to have some great restaurants and cafes, Watson's Bay is great (book at Doyles if you're feeling rich but if not, I think having a pub lunch at the hotel is even nicer, or you can even buy something at the kiosk and eat it on the beach).  

It won’t be a beach trip. We’re from WA! Say no more! I’ll be with my older teenage son and he’s into city stuff plus we’ll only have a weekend. I’m not averse to staying outside of the city but for a first trip where we won’t have a clue and limited time to find things it may be easier to stay central. 

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

We’re staying in Sydney next Saturday but we booked to be reasonably close to Eastern Creek.  Unless you’re interested in motor sports I don’t think you’d call it ‘close to attractions’. 

Oh my- I won’t tell my son. He’s developed an interest in F1 that I do not share. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

We've only stayed in the city once and that was at Circular Quay which was great, and easy to get to other areas.

Ideal location for a weekend stay.

My neighbours stayed at a B&B in a terrace house very close to the Rocks @ 56C Gloucester Street walking distance to all the harbour/bridge/opera house.sights.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay/hotel in Sydney? Mid price and close to attractions. Also how far from airport to city? 

It's about 20 mins depending on traffic from the airport to Sydney CBD.  Should cost approx. $45.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Watson's Bay is great (book at Doyles if you're feeling rich but if not, I think having a pub lunch at the hotel is even nicer, or you can even buy something at the kiosk and eat it on the beach).  

Doyle's on the Beach restaurant is indeed pricey but remember there is also Doyle's on the Wharf which doubles as both a takeaway and a dining area and is much cheaper - they do a perfectly good fish and chips for $15.

As for attractions, the obvious ones not mentioned so far are the Domain/Botanic Gardens and the Art Gallery of NSW, which are adjacent to each other. Darling Harbour and Chinatown, whilst far too touristy for my liking, are also probably regarded as "attractions". Taronga Zoo is also popular on the tourist trail.

Edited by DIG85

On 18/02/2022 at 21:53, HappyHeart said:

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay/hotel in Sydney? Mid price and close to attractions

Hello there. Last year I was doing an accounting course in the city, and I stayed in a lovely hotel called Mrs Banks Hotel, at 259 Oxford Street Paddington. Whilst not exactly central, it was easy to get into the CBD on the bus. If you want something more central and cheaper, then the YHA in The Rocks is pretty good.

Edited by BeachBabe2022
  • Like 1

On 19/02/2022 at 15:42, HappyHeart said:

I think that's what we need. 

I'd second somewhere near Circular Quay, or even a little further back within 5-10min walk.  Near to trains, restaurants, ferries, Barangaroo, Darling Harbour, Tower, and all the shopping if you want it.   You can then get a direct train from the airport very fast and hop off right by wherever you stay...i think it takes 13 minutes.  We keep Opal cards and just tap on and off everywhere, much easier than cabs or Ubers.

I actually think prices are very reasonable at the moment, there are bargains to be had.

The Amora Jamison is right by Wynyard station in a really good spot and not bad prices, a decent 5* but only about $220 per night? We didn't eat there, but you don't need to if you're in that location.   

The Sheraton is right by St James's Station and Hyde Park, a little more expensive in April at about $300, but it was knocking $450 a couple of years ago.

Another option is around Town Hall station, lots of reasonable places and access to Chinatown and loads of food and shopping.

Another idea is to spend a morning on one of these opentop London buses, then go back and visit the places that look interesting.  We went on for a joke and it took us to places we'd have never bothered with before, and some of the ones we'd planned to see we could jump on and off for a quick look without having to pay taxis.

• Thanks 1