International Arrival

Jack91

Hello Everyone! 

My mother is arriving to Australia (from the UK - not an Australian Resident) in early March and will be required to get a RAT or PCR test within 24 hours. We have RAT here at home, is she able to just do that, if it comes up negative, be good to go? Or is she required to go to a pathology place, I assume pay, get the test, wait for an email or text and then bobs your uncle? 

It's a bit vague on the Queensland government website as it just states a test must be done, does specify it has to be done under controlled conditions etc etc. She will have done 2 or 3 tests prior to travel and during travel as Dubai require a PCR test to be done. 

Any advice would be great thank you in advance! 

1 hour ago, Jack91 said:

Hello Everyone! 

My mother is arriving to Australia (from the UK - not an Australian Resident) in early March and will be required to get a RAT or PCR test within 24 hours. We have RAT here at home, is she able to just do that, if it comes up negative, be good to go? Or is she required to go to a pathology place, I assume pay, get the test, wait for an email or text and then bobs your uncle? 

It's a bit vague on the Queensland government website as it just states a test must be done, does specify it has to be done under controlled conditions etc etc. She will have done 2 or 3 tests prior to travel and during travel as Dubai require a PCR test to be done. 

Any advice would be great thank you in advance! 

I’m not flying to Queensland but I’m pretty sure it’s just an antigen test done yourself. That’s the case for Victoria (has been since the beginning of January) and even WA have announced that will be the case when they open up so I’d be surprised if one done under controlled conditions is needed.   Hopefully someone will be along to confirm soon as I am just going on other states rules. 

7 hours ago, Jack91 said:

Thanks @Tulip1

My wife informed me there is a covid hotline… didn’t know that was a thing. Anyway I rang them and they informed me she can just do a RAT at home, or if she wants she can go and get a PCR test and then wait. Which seems silly!! 

Not sure why its silly, but yes thats correct, she just needs to do a RAT test, if she can get hold of one, they are still rare as hens teeth in some places. Allowing them to be done at home is preferable to the 8-9 hour queues in 30 degree heat that we were seeing a few weeks ago. 

17 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Not sure why its silly, but yes thats correct, she just needs to do a RAT test, if she can get hold of one, they are still rare as hens teeth in some places. Allowing them to be done at home is preferable to the 8-9 hour queues in 30 degree heat that we were seeing a few weeks ago. 

It’s silly because a RAT is done in 15 minutes. And as you pointed out, there are queues…. Which seems silly to do. 

• Like 1

On 19/02/2022 at 17:16, Nemesis said:

Chemist Warehouse seem to have plenty of the RAT available on the Sunshine Coast at the moment, limited to 3 packs of 2 tests cost $20 per pack. 
I had a PCR test 2 weeks ago, telephoned a local surgery that has respiratory clinic at 10am booked in for test 1.15 home within 25 mins. Results back next day

Edited by ramot

11 hours ago, Jack91 said:

It’s silly because a RAT is done in 15 minutes. And as you pointed out, there are queues…. Which seems silly to do. 

I assume Nemesis thought you meant having to do a test was silly whereas you were saying it seems silly doing a test you have to pay for, wait for possibly hours to get and then wait isolating until the results come through.  Your mum can just bring some rapid tests with her.  That’s what I will do. 

On 21/02/2022 at 14:00, Jack91 said:

You can bring your own, if it is on the approved testing list. 

if you don't have to submit it, how will they know?   Are all the NHS ones the same?  I brought back 42 last week and they were all boxed the same, didn't see any other kinds.

• Sad 1

On 20/02/2022 at 12:54, Jack91 said:

I did a PCR test last week in Sydney and there was just one car ahead of me.  So it's nothing like December/January.

On 21/02/2022 at 00:41, Tulip1 said:

I assume Nemesis thought you meant having to do a test was silly whereas you were saying it seems silly doing a test you have to pay for, wait for possibly hours to get and then wait isolating until the results come through.  Your mum can just bring some rapid tests with her.  That’s what I will do. 

PCR tests are free for international arrivals.  RAT tests on the other hand are only free to certain categories of people.

2 hours ago, rtritudr said:

PCR tests are free for international arrivals.  RAT tests on the other hand are only free to certain categories of people.

People arriving from the UK will bring their own Antigen tests because we get them free.  Even if that wasn’t the case, few would get off a long flight, queue for possibly hours for a PCR and isolate for a day or more waiting for the result rather than spend a few dollars on the easy option.

7 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Really? No wonder the NHS is short of money.

Yeah, each household could get 7 per day delivered, or 14 per day if you gave them the code at a chemist and self-collected.  Plenty of people i spoke to had never taken one, one person had had covid 4 times and just didn't bother getting tested anymore.

Because I was looking after an elderly person i took a test every single day i was there ( because i was going out shopping and mixing etc), I tested them every 2 days, left a few boxes for them to use after i'd gone, and i brought some back for myself and family for our own arrival testing.

Edited by beketamun

On 23/02/2022 at 20:26, RandL said:

I received 2 different brand  tests from the NHS , one was a flow flex  branded one  which i found on the list the others don't seem to have a brand name , just says covid-19 NHS so I don't know if they pass ??

here's the list I found  :

https://www.tga.gov.au/covid-19-rapid-antigen-self-tests-are-approved-australia

Flow Flex is available in Australia, I purchased these for myself before i left.  They were also one of the private purchaseable UK ones for post-arrival testing for travellers where you send the test off with passport details for certification.

Nobody contacted me about post-arrival testing back in Australia but we used the generic NHS ones in the white box.

Edited by beketamun

• 1 month later...