Will applying for a WHV affect current 491 application?

skyeman

Hi Folks,

Like many of you, i am approaching the 2-year mark since submitting my 491 offshore. I have plans to finish work in July 2022 and tbh I don't want to mess my employer around by delaying it again as they have recruited to replace me ( I told them 3 years ago that I was applying for the visa and doing the skills assessments etc ) Given that I'll be unemployed I am considering applying for a WHV as I'm only 31 but I am just concerned if there is any chance the WHV being granted might overwrite my 491 application? I would be gutted I I had waited 2 years and then lost my 491. If there is no risk then it gives me a chance to go over and get set-up and find work etc before bringing my family over on the 491.

I will seek professional help on this but i know you guys are often armed with knowledge and experience in these things.

Cheers,

James

Just now, paulhand said:

Unless you hold an Irish, French or Canadian passport, at 31 you are too old for a WHV. You also would not be able to take the kids. 

Ah darn, I forgot that the whole extending it to 35 hadn't actually been firmed up, oh well bang there goes that idea. Appreciate the response Paul.