new enrolment

talktosi

Will be moving to Adelaide in September  this year and will need to enrol my 2 sons in secondary school for 4th term. Aside from the issues of the different timelines of school years and structure of the curriculum, my main issue will be trying to enrol them into a school but not knowing exactly where will be living - depending on how long it takes to find a suitable rental property. Obviously there are catchment areas and we have 3 schools where we would want to send our boys( and also in an area we would want to live), will there be issues with not having a permanent address or only just moving to an address in terms of the school accepting the boys. I will be speaking to each of the schools in a few months to see what their likely capacity will be, but we will be limited as to where we will be able to find somewhere to rent. Thanks

You will need more than a holiday rental address.  Don't sweat getting the kids into school until you've got a longer term rental, nobody will give a toss if you don't get them into school for a month or two. It very much depends on whether the school is one of those which might be swamped with out of area enrolments or whether they are struggling for numbers as to whether they accept out of area kids but you probably won't want to be trekking them around town when push comes to shove so find your house first and the school can follow. Edited to say, don't worry if they aren't enrolled right at the beginning of the term, kids move all the time and they will be assured of a place in their local school. 

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1