Albany in Winter

HappyHeart

10 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Wanting to do some of the Stirling Ranges in the Great Southern. Is it a bad idea to go in July? Too cold and wet?

I prefer to do most of my hiking trips in the winter.  No snakes, no bluddy flies.  The wet and colder weather doesn't bother me at all.  Mind you, I am a wuss when it comes to hotter weather for most outdooor pursuits.  It was 22C here today and I find anything over that unpleasant.  😋  

You'd need to invest in a good wind/waterproof jacket and weather proof boots.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Toots said:

I prefer to do most of my hiking trips in the winter.  No snakes, no bluddy flies.  The wet and colder weather doesn't bother me at all.  Mind you, I am a wuss when it comes to hotter weather for most outdooor pursuits.  It was 22C here today and I find anything over that unpleasant.  😋  

Exactly, it's not the cold that deters me, especially if we have a cozy, warm place to return to at the end of the day but the wet upset a me a bit. Wuss I know. Drizzle is fine but full on driving rain is a no go. 

We do all our big walks in Winter. The best part of winter here in Perth, excellent walking  weather. Was only discussing where we couldn't wait to return to with OH earlier. 

Edited by HappyHeart

10 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Exactly, it's not the cold that deters me, especially if we have a cozy, warm place to return to at the end of the day but the wet upset a me a bit. Wuss I know. Drizzle is fine but full on driving rain is a no go. 

We do all our big walks in Winter. The best part of winter here in Perth, excellent walking  weather. Was only discussing where we couldn't wait to return to with OH earlier. 

It's usually not the rain so much as the wind .

12 hours ago, Toots said:

Any recommended brands? My husbands ancient fleece bought in the UK is obscenely warm but not rainproof. I have a light rain jacket which is great for better days with light rain and wind but soaks through in real rain. The trouble is you often get too warm in a rain jacket (in Perth at least)

1 minute ago, HappyHeart said:

Any recommended brands? My husbands ancient fleece bought in the UK is obscenely warm but not rainproof. I have a light rain jacket which is great for better days with light rain and wind but soaks through in real rain. The trouble is you often get too warm in a rain jacket (in Perth at least)

Katmandu is my pick of the range. Not too heavy , water proof . Picked one up in their recent annual sale . Usually a good $300 though.

• Like 1

Will have to do a bit more research as to where to stay. Only stayed once years ago and son did a school camp- I think they climbed Mount Toolbronup. Not familiar with the area at all but son is very keen to return and do some hiking and climbing. 
Be able to explore a lot more widely once we have a permanent base down south. 

2 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

I buy most of mine from Mountain Warehouse, a UK brand with an Australian website, very easy to return or exchange if needed and good prices. Otherwise I have a look at the Aldi snow sale, surprisingly good quality clothes. I used to buy from Katmandu but I really don't like their clothes any more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

I buy most of mine from Mountain Warehouse, a UK brand with an Australian website, very easy to return or exchange if needed and good prices. Otherwise I have a look at the Aldi snow sale, surprisingly good quality clothes. I used to buy from Katmandu but I really don't like their clothes any more.

Snow gear isn't always the best in heavy rain. Snow doesn't penetrate like rain 

Mountain warehouse is good, but whatever you buy you want at least 10000 mm and ideally 20000 mm, plus breathable.

You get what you pay for, but a good jacket can last ten years or more. You may need to redo the waterproofing at some stage. My mountain warehouse raincoat was 10000 mm when I bought it nearly ten years ago, and it will still keep me dry in most weather, but it did fail recently in a very heavy rainstorm. But it was ridiculously hard rain, and I wouldn't choose to go out in weather like that. I probably need to re water proof the seams. You can get sprays for that.

As for accommodation the Dutch Windmill has been recommended by a couple of people. I've no experience of it, but reading on line seems to confirm what I was told. Although it seems that the dining options are no more. 

If me, probably would combine staying in SR with a few nights in Albany. I can recommend the caravan park (camping, chalets as well as camping) at Middleton Beach. Heated  pool in winter. A spa , seconds from the beach, some decent eating establishments close by and walks.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

As for accommodation the Dutch Windmill has been recommended by a couple of people. I've no experience of it, but reading on line seems to confirm what I was told. Although it seems that the dining options are no more. 

If me, probably would combine staying in SR with a few nights in Albany. I can recommend the caravan park (camping, chalets as well as camping) at Middleton Beach. Heated  pool in winter. A spa , seconds from the beach, some decent eating establishments close by and walks.  

We.need pet friendly. Isn't it an hour or more from Albany to.Stirling ranges? So Albany better than Denmark or in between, somewhere east of Albany better? Might try and do 5 nights and stay Albany way as suggested. 

28 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

We.need pet friendly. Isn't it an hour or more from Albany to.Stirling ranges? So Albany better than Denmark or in between, somewhere east of Albany better? Might try and do 5 nights and stay Albany way as suggested. 

Well Cranbrook is closest but little to offer besides distance. Albany at least (yes about an hour) but can leave early in the morning and spend an entire day exploring the area. Did you plan longer? I guess two days could be done, but not sure what you would do longer. 

Not sure which caravan parks are dog friendly but a simple search would reveal. There are a number of camping areas. Happy Days beside the river comes to mind, as does the one facing the harbour across the other side from town. 

Best (claimed) fish and chips in WA as well. Hooked on Middleton, near to the main beach, we were both impressed by the meal. (can vouch for the Broome Spanish Mackerel) Eat at the picnic tables overlooking the beach (near, just past, the changing rooms) besides a nice location, you will be out of the wind, in the advent it was blowing. 

On 12/02/2022 at 08:45, HappyHeart said:

I can deal with wind. Hat, scarf, gloves and a warm rain jacket. 

Climbing Bluff Knoll in either strong wind or rain would both be less than ideal. Do you intend to climb? If not probably not so important , but agree heavy rain would be uncomfortable doing walks.