Scary process

Jen3103

We have recently got our 190 NSW visa which has been nearly 4 years in the making. Now it’s arrived - I feel absolutely petrified of moving over. 

I don’t know if it’s just general jittiness but it feels crazy to move over when there is a rental crisis and give up our comfortable life in England.

is this a normal process? Do others go through this when about to put house on the market to make the move? 

• Like 1

Yes, we actually move on Friday, scared the COVID test is positive, equally scared it comes back negative and we have to do it... 😉

Either way we are leaving with 3 suitcases and starting again, having sold up completely (from a 5 bed) including all furniture and cars etc.

Edited by Ausvisitor
  • Like 1
  • Congratulations 4

I assume you're moving somewhere in regional NSW, if you're worried about the rental crisis?  If so, I wouldn't let it worry you.   It's always difficult to find rentals in country/coastal towns but that's also the advantage of going to a smaller place - you'll find something through word of mouth.   You may be able to house-sit, for instance, or you may have to camp at a caravan park for a while, but something will turn up.  

I do think that if you have a comfortable life in England, you SHOULD be examining your motivation carefully.  Make sure you're moving for solid reasons, not "chasing a dream".  Australia is not a dream, it's a first-world country with good points and bad points like any other. It's no more magical or special than moving to Spain or Ireland or Germany.  Personally, I find Australia suits me much better than the UK, and I've never regretted my move for a second - but it's all down to what lifestyle suits you and what's important to you, really.  

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need!

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

Rental and purchase markets have gone bonkers, certainly in Brisbane. We looked at a house 3 years ago, which was sold for 450k. It's back on the market, and they're asking for 900k.

I helped find my friend a rental last year in May. We secured a sizeable 3 bed apartment with sea views and a roof terrace for $550 per week. Now townhouses with no views are going for $590pw.

As long as you're prepared for a tough market, it'll be less of a shock.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Yes, we actually move on Friday, scared the COVID test is positive, equally scared it comes back negative and we have to do it... 😉

Either way we are leaving with 3 suitcases and starting again, having sold up completely (from a 5 bed) including all furniture and cars etc.

Oh wow, how amazing! Please let me know how you get on. It’s a terrifying experience giving up everything you have but hopefully the risks pays off.

where are you heading to? 

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I assume you're moving somewhere in regional NSW, if you're worried about the rental crisis?  If so, I wouldn't let it worry you.   It's always difficult to find rentals in country/coastal towns but that's also the advantage of going to a smaller place - you'll find something through word of mouth.   You may be able to house-sit, for instance, or you may have to camp at a caravan park for a while, but something will turn up.  

I do think that if you have a comfortable life in England, you SHOULD be examining your motivation carefully.  Make sure you're moving for solid reasons, not "chasing a dream".  Australia is not a dream, it's a first-world country with good points and bad points like any other. It's no more magical or special than moving to Spain or Ireland or Germany.  Personally, I find Australia suits me much better than the UK, and I've never regretted my move for a second - but it's all down to what lifestyle suits you and what's important to you, really.  

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need!

We are thinking Newcastle or Lennox Hed/Ballina area depends on job situation. I’m applying for lots of MH nurse jobs whilst still in the UK so that at least one income is secure as I want some stability due to have a little one. 

I feel really torn as I’ve wanted Oz for years and if I’m honest it’s all I’ve talked about however since starting this journey, I’ve had a little one and covid has struck and I’ve seen how much life has changed. I think after waiting for 2 years for a visa I had thought it was never going to happen so we brought a bigger house and spent the last year renovating it.  I’m finding the thought of leaving family hard and their emotions and response to us moving is making me feel very guilty. 

we’ve worked so hard to get to where we are in life in England and to give that up to move to Oz and not find a rental just terrifies me. I understand the emigration process is hard and emotionally draining but to hear we might  be homeless just doesn’t seem worth it. 

Im also in the process of rehoming my beautiful boxer which is affecting me as we can’t fly him over due to being a snub nosed breed. It just seems that the Oz life I’ve wanted for years is coming with some huge heartbreaks.

Thanks for taking the time to reply 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

Rental and purchase markets have gone bonkers, certainly in Brisbane. We looked at a house 3 years ago, which was sold for 450k. It's back on the market, and they're asking for 900k.

I helped find my friend a rental last year in May. We secured a sizeable 3 bed apartment with sea views and a roof terrace for $550 per week. Now townhouses with no views are going for $590pw.

As long as you're prepared for a tough market, it'll be less of a shock.

thats crazy, absolutely crazy.

do you think there will be a crash in the market soon? 

i think I’m prepared for a tough market 🤔  I’ve reached out for advice on local Facebook groups for the areas we are thinking off

and people were saying that we’d never find a rental with a dog and that locals are struggling and living in caravans 🥺

19 minutes ago, Jen3103 said:

I feel really torn as I’ve wanted Oz for years and if I’m honest it’s all I’ve talked about however since starting this journey, I’ve had a little one and covid has struck and I’ve seen how much life has changed. I think after waiting for 2 years for a visa I had thought it was never going to happen so we brought a bigger house and spent the last year renovating it. .... I’m finding the thought of leaving family hard and their emotions and response to us moving is making me feel very guilty. 

Don't let guilt hold you back, if you really want to go.  You have to live your life.   However, you should also acknowledge that  having a child can change your whole perspective on life, and what you really, really wanted before motherhood, may not be what  you really, really want now. 

I've been on these forums for several years and you'd be amazed at the number of women who migrate to Australia, find that it's everything they could hope for, and yet they're straight back on the plane once they have a baby.   Motherhood makes you rethink your relationship with family and especially your child's relationship with family.  

"I've come this far, i can't give up now" is not a good attitude.  If you're going to make the move, it needs to be because you want it more than what you have now - and you need to be clear about what "it" is.  Is it worth giving up your beloved boxer and depriving your child of grandparents?  Maybe it is, but you need to face that question.

I know it would feel like a waste to "let the dream go" after all that effort, but moving halfway round the world will cost you thousands of pounds, and if you don't settle, it will cost you thousands to come home again if you discover that life without grandparents and English culture isn't what you want for your child.

One thing to consider:  there is a "must arrive by" date on your visa.  All you have to do is enter Australia before that date, for a short holiday, and your visa is activated.  You then have almost 5 years to make up your mind whether you want to make the permanent move (the deadline is also shown on your visa).  So if you need more time, or perhaps want to wait until your child is a little older, there's an option. 

I'll repeat -  I love my life in Australia and wouldn't consider returning, but I was never lucky enough to have kids so I never had that difficult decision.  

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Jen3103 said:

i think I’m prepared for a tough market 🤔  I’ve reached out for advice on local Facebook groups for the areas we are thinking off

and people were saying that we’d never find a rental with a dog and that locals are struggling and living in caravans 🥺

I was waiting for a crash all the way until 2020, but the market kept going up,  albeit slowly. I missed out on that house for 450k as I thought I could get it cheaper. But then COVID struck, and we all know what happened.

Evidently there *may* be a 10% retracement next year, but who knows.

Its a decision you're gonna have to make. We've got 2 little ones, and absolutely miss having family around to help out. It can be hard with just one income. But we chose that life, and we are enjoying being here. Wouldn't think of going back anytime soon.

As long as you're coming over with your eyes open.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jen3103 said:

I honestly don’t want to put you off, I’m one of the posters who loves living here. My niece and young family live in Lennox Head and its a really nice area, but house prices have soared, as people have moved from Sydney as they can work from home and fly  to Sydney from Ballina when needed. 

Good luck with your decision 

2 hours ago, Jen3103 said:

We are thinking Newcastle or Lennox Hed/Ballina area depends on job situation. I’m applying for lots of MH nurse jobs whilst still in the UK so that at least one income is secure as I want some stability due to have a little one. 

I feel really torn as I’ve wanted Oz for years and if I’m honest it’s all I’ve talked about however since starting this journey, I’ve had a little one and covid has struck and I’ve seen how much life has changed. I think after waiting for 2 years for a visa I had thought it was never going to happen so we brought a bigger house and spent the last year renovating it.  I’m finding the thought of leaving family hard and their emotions and response to us moving is making me feel very guilty. 

we’ve worked so hard to get to where we are in life in England and to give that up to move to Oz and not find a rental just terrifies me. I understand the emigration process is hard and emotionally draining but to hear we might  be homeless just doesn’t seem worth it. 

Im also in the process of rehoming my beautiful boxer which is affecting me as we can’t fly him over due to being a snub nosed breed. It just seems that the Oz life I’ve wanted for years is coming with some huge heartbreaks.

Thanks for taking the time to reply 

To be fair, i think a lot of what you are feeling is what we have all felt when the time actually comes to leave. There is no getting out of it, saying Goodbye to family and friends is heartbreaking. I cried all the way to the airport and even once here , just calling home set me off again. I actually think its quite natural, you would have to be darn heartless not to feel that way i think.

There are always Air BnBs, Cabin and tourist parks, especially in and around the areas you mention so don't think you would be on the streets. It is worth booking 6 to 8 weeks in arrival accommodation though to give you time to look around and then view and apply for rentals.

Have you had a chat with Pet Air about the Boxer? i don't think they personally fly snub nose dogs but i'm sure i have seen him say someone does, flying a certain route. If your furbaby has a fair few years left in them it may be worth looking into.

Lots of luck with everything,i often say to friends moving here was a bit like starting our adult life in your first home all over again ! lol

Cal x

2 hours ago, ramot said:

I honestly don’t want to put you off, I’m one of the posters who loves living here. My niece and young family live in Lennox Head and its a really nice area, but house prices have soared, as people have moved from Sydney as they can work from home and fly  to Sydney from Ballina when needed. 

Good luck with your decision 

Right now I'm hearing that the place to buy is Sydney, the market is depressed (still going up but not at the rate of places like Lennox Head) but of course in the next two years people will get tired of commuting and offices will want people back in (even if they are saying they won't at the moment) ...

9 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Right now I'm hearing that the place to buy is Sydney, the market is depressed (still going up but not at the rate of places like Lennox Head) but of course in the next two years people will get tired of commuting and offices will want people back in (even if they are saying they won't at the moment) ...

I have no idea about Sydney prices or whether the exodus from there will continue, but my SIL who has a business in  Sydney CBD says its dead at the moment, hopefully will improve for every business’s sake or lots will close down.

Edited by ramot

7 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Average house price is $1.8m, who can afford that?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tom1993 said:

Average house price is $1.8m, who can afford that?

I read $1.6M. Still a lot of money. But there are a lot of multi million dollar homes in the expensive suburbs which gets factored in.

So there will be homes cheaper than $1.6M as well.

14 hours ago, Jen3103 said:

Soon probably not. Although we are the second most inflated housing market in the world policy tends to support high prices. The next thing to sustain the market will likely be a return to high immigration. Vested interests are calling for this. While this will inflate rent prices more , it won't make housing any more affordable obviously. The question will come just who can afford such prices? Interest rates will have to rise which will take some steam out of the market , but we are in a precarious situation  in Australia where the price of housing may well collapse far more than the often talked about 10% if and when interest rates will be required to rise in order to control inflation. 

Quite simply we are in a self induced mess with little wriggle space and interesting times ahead. 

10 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Whose saying to buy in Sydney? Let me guess the real estate industry being a prime candidate. No correction detected to date. Just a decrease in price rises, which is to be expected with next to no immigration and a flow out. Sydney is too expensive for most and there are questions of life quality if able to buy into that market as well.

What's your budget though?  Can you afford a decent house in a nice area of Sydney?  Our old 2-bedroom townhouse (what you would call a maisonette, I think) in a nice outer suburb is now worth $2 million.

It's true that prices are going up fast outside Sydney, but they are starting from a much lower base.   For instance, a house in Newcastle is still half the price of an equivalent property in an equivalent location in Sydney, even with the price increases.  And everywhere else in NSW is the same.  

I'd say if you're worried about property values, then look at Newcastle.   The sea-changers leaving Sydney are going to smaller, laidback coastal towns (like Lennox Head), not a big city like Newcastle (which is about the same size as Bristol).  So when people do start drifting back to Sydney, it's unlikely to affect Newcastle much.  

Also, let's look at whether the Sydney market realy is depressed at the moment.  One problem with real estate reporting in Australia is that much of it is based on press releases handed out by the Real Estate Institute, which represents real estate agents.  They're always spinning the news to encourage people to buy - either it's "prices are surging, get in fast before you miss out" or "prices are low, it's the perfect time to buy".  

Edit:  @Ausvisitor, I recall that you've got a job in Sydney, so obviously that's where you'll need to live.  If you're coming from London you probably won't find the prices too eye-watering.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

But in the next two years interest rates will rise.  That may cause a shake out of those who have over committed when interest rates were at rock bottom.

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

One problem with real estate reporting in Australia is that much of it is based on press releases handed out by the Real Estate Institute, which represents real estate agents.  They're always spinning the news to encourage people to buy - either it's "prices are surging, get in fast before you miss out" or "prices are low, it's the perfect time to buy".  

Yes. Fairfax/channel 9 founded/owns Domain and News Corp owns Real Estate.

I’m not aware of any other developed country where the two largest media organisations own the two largest online real estate sites.

Edited by DIG85
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

What's your budget though?  Can you afford a decent house in a nice area of Sydney?  Our old 2-bedroom townhouse (what you would call a maisonette, I think) in a nice outer suburb is now worth $2 million.

It's true that prices are going up fast outside Sydney, but they are starting from a much lower base.   For instance, a house in Newcastle is still half the price of an equivalent property in an equivalent location in Sydney, even with the price increases.  And everywhere else in NSW is the same.  

I'd say if you're worried about property values, then look at Newcastle.   The sea-changers leaving Sydney are going to smaller, laidback coastal towns (like Lennox Head), not a big city like Newcastle (which is about the same size as Bristol).  So when people do start drifting back to Sydney, it's unlikely to affect Newcastle much.  

Also, let's look at whether the Sydney market realy is depressed at the moment.  One problem with real estate reporting in Australia is that much of it is based on press releases handed out by the Real Estate Institute, which represents real estate agents.  They're always spinning the news to encourage people to buy - either it's "prices are surging, get in fast before you miss out" or "prices are low, it's the perfect time to buy".  

Edit:  @Ausvisitor, I recall that you've got a job in Sydney, so obviously that's where you'll need to live.  If you're coming from London you probably won't find the prices too eye-watering.

Not coming from London, but we sold our 5 bed in another UK hotspot so whilst I would prefer to not spend 1.6m we could. With the job we could get a mortgage as well if we really loved the house.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Parley said:

I read $1.6M. Still a lot of money. But there are a lot of multi million dollar homes in the expensive suburbs which gets factored in.

So there will be homes cheaper than $1.6M as well.

There's a house round the corner from us that's just gone on the market for $1,250,000.  It will be interesting to see how long it will take to sell at that price. It certainly won't be a local who's prepared to fork out that sort of money.  Decent houses at a decent price are just snapped up in Devonport.

• Like 2

On 07/02/2022 at 08:09, Jen3103 said:

We have recently got our 190 NSW visa which has been nearly 4 years in the making. Now it’s arrived - I feel absolutely petrified of moving over. 

I don’t know if it’s just general jittiness but it feels crazy to move over when there is a rental crisis and give up our comfortable life in England.

is this a normal process? Do others go through this when about to put house on the market to make the move? 

Hi Jen

You will be absolutely fine and it's perfectly normal how you feel.

We moved over June 2020 (me,wife and 2 daughters 10 & 5 at the time) closer it got to moving the more I kept second guessing our decision but the drive that made us do it was the fear of not doing it (if that makes sense).

At the time with covid and everyone in lockdowns it would have been easy for us to stay in the UK and blame covid for not doing it.

Fast forward nearly 2 years and we haven't looked back, my girls love it here and we also have a new addition who is 2 weeks old 👍

3 girls for me but plenty of room to go and hide on my own for a while.

• Congratulations 2