EOI points for UK work experience confusion

JamesB23

Hi I'm trying to working out how many EOI points I am eligible for. I have 3 years experience in my nominated occupation from working in the UK. I had a consultation with an agent but was confused when they said I would receive 0 points for my 3 years experience? They said the skills assessment body would take 2 years off to deem me as skilled therefore leaving me with 1 year to claim points on? This doesn't sound right to me. When I put in 3 years of work experience in the EOI points calculator on the Australian Government website it says I am eligible for 5 points. I should be able to claim for all of my experience shouldn't I?

46 minutes ago, JamesB23 said:

I should be able to claim for all of my experience shouldn't I?

You can claim for your skilled experience or, in other words, employment after the date you are deemed to have become ‘skilled’ in your occupation. This date varies by occupation. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JamesB23 said:

Hi I'm trying to working out how many EOI points I am eligible for. I have 3 years experience in my nominated occupation from working in the UK. I had a consultation with an agent but was confused when they said I would receive 0 points for my 3 years experience? They said the skills assessment body would take 2 years off to deem me as skilled therefore leaving me with 1 year to claim points on? This doesn't sound right to me. 

Take a look at the requirements for your occupation.   Work experience counts EITHER as the equivalent of a qualification OR as work experience.  You can't claim it in both places. 

For instance, it might say you need EITHER  a degree OR 2 years' relevant experience.  If you don't have the degree, then you need to "use" your 2  years to compensate for the lack of degree. That you can't use them again to satisfy the experience requirement.