simmo

Cost of Living.

2 hours ago, Parley said:

How come Labour have never had a leader who isn't a middle aged white guy?

At least the Conservatives can claim to be progressive with 3 women leaders and Prime Ministers.

That's a very good question.  You'd think there were 3 or 4 prominent senior female members of the Labour leadership who have high levels of appeal with voters.  

• Like 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

1 hour ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

That's a very good question.  You'd think there were 3 or 4 prominent senior female members of the Labour leadership who have high levels of appeal with voters.  

There's Dianne Abbott.

• Haha 1

On 16/09/2022 at 14:12, Parley said:

How come Labour have never had a leader who isn't a middle aged white guy?

At least the Conservatives can claim to be progressive with 3 women leaders and Prime Ministers.

Australian labour party had a female leader. 

Have the liberals ever had a female leader?

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

This is partially the problem with cost of living and how the overall figures are distorted by the differing impacts to different wealth percentiles.

It always used to sadden me when people with next to nothing defended their own poor situation by stating that the UK was the 5th biggest economy, as if this was a legitimate response and they were sharing in that, when they were clearly not.  I was hoping to catch up with an old poster called Bunbury, but he appears to have left the forum. 

In other words: the reason the poorest Americans are so poor is the exceptionally steep inequality gradient, not a lack of overall prosperity. There’s plenty of $ to go around, but too much is going to those at the top, while the safety net at the bottom is totally inadequate.

...which brings me back to my initial claim, that Britain and the US are poor societies with some very rich people. You can become very rich in loads of countries! The real benchmark for whether a country is a good place to live is what the bottom of the distribution looks like.

Worth reading this thread and the graphs, they're made by the same bloke who interpreted all the Covid statistics into information that people could understand.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When we lived in Australia, I hated the fact that EVERYTHING was set up to fleece you of your hard-earned. The UK wasn't like that. Well it is now.

Not that I regret moving back you see, day-to-day life suits us much better.

However, this place (UK) is now a mega rip-off. And it's not Ukraine forcing this change, that is purely the catalyst for the cash-in.

3 years ago my gas/elec was £90 a month, it's £275 now (and that's not really enough). 3 years ago my shopping bill was £60/70 a week, it's double that now. 3 years ago I could fill my Mini up for £45 quid, it's £90 now (every month). We earn more than 2x average wage and we have absolutely no disposable income, I have no idea how people on low income are surviving.

The profits that oil companies, utilities, supermarkets etc. are making out of the pandemic and the Ukraine war is obscene.

And the Government won't address it. They won't implement proper windfall taxes, instead, they're giving these companies money to deduct from people's bills, which the same people will eventually have to repay. They still think privatisation and trickle-down economics is the answer, when the failure of both approaches is staring everyone in the face. They're even about to lift the cap on banker's bonuses. This Government is poison.  EVERYONE in this country apart from millionaires and billionaires is worse off than 12 years ago. The sooner the old buggers who vote for these parasites shuffle off this mortal coil, the better, they're killing people.

Prices will never reset. Organisations are used to the profit now. The job that the media (off-shore tax-avoiding types) did on Corbyn was a job extreme. When I look at his manifesto now, it looks like Utopia. Starmer is diet-Tory who won't add any value whatsoever but will definitely win the next election, just for change's sake.

So, I don't know what you're paying in Australia, I've read this thread about $15 pints etc. the hospitality industry is on the wane here, Johnson persecuted it. We're probably at the mercy of these bastards Worldwide, the whole place needs a factory reset.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, s713 said:

When we lived in Australia, I hated the fact that EVERYTHING was set up to fleece you of your hard-earned. The UK wasn't like that. Well it is now.

However, this place (UK) is now a mega rip-off. And it's not Ukraine forcing this change, that is purely the catalyst for the cash-in.

3 years ago my gas/elec was £90 a month, it's £275 now (and that's not really enough). 3 years ago my shopping bill was £60/70 a week, it's double that now. 3 years ago I could fill my Mini up for £45 quid, it's £90 now (every month). We earn more than 2x average wage and we have absolutely no disposable income, I have no idea how people on low income are surviving.

The profits that oil companies, utilities, supermarkets etc. are making out of the pandemic and the Ukraine war is obscene.

And the Government won't address it. They won't implement proper windfall taxes, instead, they're giving these companies money to deduct from people's bills, which the same people will eventually have to repay. They still think privatisation and trickle-down economics is the answer, when the failure of both approaches is staring everyone in the face. They're even about to lift the cap on banker's bonuses. This Government is poison.  EVERYONE in this country apart from millionaires and billionaires is worse off than 12 years ago. The sooner the old buggers who vote for these parasites shuffle off this mortal coil, the better, they're killing people.

Prices will never reset. Organisations are used to the profit now. The job that the media (off-shore tax-avoiding types) did on Corbyn was a job extreme. When I look at his manifesto now, it looks like Utopia. Starmer is diet-Tory who won't add any value whatsoever but will definitely win the next election, just for change's sake.

So, I don't know what you're paying in Australia, I've read this thread about $15 pints etc. the hospitality industry is on the wane here, Johnson persecuted it. We're probably at the mercy of these bastards Worldwide, the whole place needs a factory reset.

A worldwide story.  The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, s713 said:

Corbyn's economic manifesto was to the right of Tony Blair's 1997 one, nowhere near the hard left one it was made out to be.....but it was buried under populism and the economy has tanked since, and will tank even more.  Whatever his views on Brexit, he did say he would use it to bolster the country's interests, not rip more money out of the people and industry, which is the situation we have now.

I was listening to an economic podcast yesterday which provided some very serious points. 

20 years ago parents thought their children would be financially better off than they were.  Now they think their kids will be worse off and its too late to do anything about it...they were conned by Brexit, conned by Boris Johnson, they cannot admit it...but they've lost control and allowed a new British PM to sideline them so she can be bought and sold to the bankers, so there's 2 more years of extraction, lower tax revenues and blame avoidance to come.  

Of those kids in the millennial generation, otherwise known as "the future".......61% of 18-34 yr olds would now welcome a strong leader to "take control" of the country without elections, because the older generations politics and voting patterns have been witless and greed-based.   Less money, lower wages, too expensive to learn, they will never afford a house, they don't know what they're going to do for jobs.   What will today's 10 yr olds feel like in 10 years when they're starting out in adult life?  They are going to be left in a desperate hole, but with a big majority to look out for their own generations interests.

We already have Government that is encouraging the taking even more money from the public benefit in order to drive it into private hands, making the rich richer and the poor poorer in already desperate times.   That was described as a very very dangerous point for a country to reach, especially one that is already undermining the rule of law, weaken human rights, weaken employment laws, showing it will undermine the judiciary, and lies to it's monarch.  It's paving a pathway of acceptance by bad behaviour that can be followed by either a Far Left or Far Right authoritarian candidate to emerge, which usually ends up in conflict, people dying, or a basket case scenario like Argentina or Brazil emerging that sets them back another generation.

Edited by Robert Dyson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, s713 said:

All too sad what is going down in UK. The government had little choice than go against their ideological philosophy and at least cap  energy bills at 2,500 GBP. Question is what happens when period of control expires? 

There's not even the option, (or far harder) to move across to The Continent. I don't think it is solely age though. I suspect Britain remains increasingly divided and those holding the power, find it to their favour to maintain that situation.

I'm very concerned about the Health System. NHS and if it will be death by a thousand cuts. 

I have Decided that any move to The UK in the short or medium term future would be pure folly. Hopefully this situation will not prevail long term, but not holding my breath. It would not surprise me if Truss was even returned in two years. On the other hand, the country may have been run down to such an extent that Labour is put in but find it impossible to rectify the damage done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Toots said:

A worldwide story.  The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

I think that's true, but that link was fascinating.  If you look at the UK compared to other European countries, the gap is much worse and the poor are doing very badly indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022

UK doing exceptionally bad with growing inequality. It appears Truss is yet to discover that the trickle-down theory does not work.  More likely knows it, but so laden down the her ideological baggage cannot /will not accept the reality. 

Edited by Blue Flu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I think that's true, but that link was fascinating.  If you look at the UK compared to other European countries, the gap is much worse and the poor are doing very badly indeed.

The big jump in he UK cost of living seems to have happened so quickly.  Reading earlier posts on this thread from some UK members, they have hardly noticed the sudden rise.  My sister and friends in the UK (mainly in the north and Scotland) all retirees, have all commented on the sudden rise in the cost of living.

COL has also risen here but seems to have been more gradual   .......................  I've noticed it rising especially over the last 4 years or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

The big jump in he UK cost of living seems to have happened so quickly.  Reading earlier posts on this thread from some UK members, they have hardly noticed the sudden rise.  My sister and friends in the UK (mainly in the north and Scotland) all retirees, have all commented on the sudden rise in the cost of living.

COL has also risen here but seems to have been more gradual   .......................  I've noticed it rising especially over the last 4 years or so.

Just had a mate come back from a 2 week canal barge holiday in the North West of England.  He last went just before the pandemic.   He was horrified at the changes in that short length of time, especially compared to the wage levels over there.

It's risen sharply here as well, some food prices have risen monthly for the last 6 months but we're suffering the same inflation as everybody else.  The UK has the same pressures, with it's own unique economic slump on top as a nasty bonus.  

• Like 2

On 18/09/2022 at 03:37, Robert Dyson said:

This is partially the problem with cost of living and how the overall figures are distorted by the differing impacts to different wealth percentiles.

It always used to sadden me when people with next to nothing defended their own poor situation by stating that the UK was the 5th biggest economy, as if this was a legitimate response and they were sharing in that, when they were clearly not.  I was hoping to catch up with an old poster called Bunbury, but he appears to have left the forum. 

Worth reading this thread and the graphs, they're made by the same bloke who interpreted all the Covid statistics into information that people could understand.

Wasn't Brexit meant to fix this?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

On 19/09/2022 at 21:55, newjez said:

Wasn't Brexit meant to fix this?

We can't mention that word on here, to spare the blushes of the guilty. Who weren't wrong 😄

• Like 2

Lucky for us Aussies, we are the richest people in the world according to a recent study.

So most of us should be fine.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/wealth/new-report-reveals-australians-are-now-the-wealthiest-people-on-the-planet/news-story/a40c25bc77e9df371a6856db288d4934

Edited by Parley

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

3 hours ago, Parley said:

Lucky for us Aussies, we are the richest people in the world according to a recent study.

So most of us should be fine.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/wealth/new-report-reveals-australians-are-now-the-wealthiest-people-on-the-planet/news-story/a40c25bc77e9df371a6856db288d4934

….and despite all the doom and gloom the UK is 9th!

The new Govt in the UK is avoiding taxing the rich, avoiding taxing mega-corps, rewarding corporations who are enjoying unparalleled profits off the pandemic and the Ukraine war, are asking working class people to repay the most massive borrow amount since WW2 BUT are chasing 120,000 people who are working part-time and claiming top-up benefits.

You couldn't make it up. Except you could. This Country has always been two-tier but the people in the lower tier have NEVER been persecuted as much as they are right now. It's a real shame. They said Corbyn would take the Country back to the 1970s, watch Rees-Mogg in action and he/they are taking us back to the 1870s. And laughing while they do it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, s713 said:

The new Govt in the UK is avoiding taxing the rich, avoiding taxing mega-corps, rewarding corporations who are enjoying unparalleled profits off the pandemic and the Ukraine war, are asking working class people to repay the most massive borrow amount since WW2 BUT are chasing 120,000 people who are working part-time and claiming top-up benefits.

You couldn't make it up. Except you could. This Country has always been two-tier but the people in the lower tier have NEVER been persecuted as much as they are right now. It's a real shame. They said Corbyn would take the Country back to the 1970s, watch Rees-Mogg in action and he/they are taking us back to the 1870s. And laughing while they do it.

I assume the 120,000 you mention that are working and claiming benefits are committing benefit fraud.  Do you think they shouldn't be chasing them.  Should they allow people to steal from the public purse? 

On 19/09/2022 at 13:29, Robert Dyson said:

Corbyn's economic manifesto was to the right of Tony Blair's 1997 one

Absolute nonsense.

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I assume the 120,000 you mention that are working and claiming benefits are committing benefit fraud. 

On this one you would assume wrong.  It targets those in universal credit who work part time. Typically because of limitations of their health or family circumstances such as childcare. 

The purpose of the move is to try and fix the workforce crisis in the U.K. caused by immigrant workers leaving the country and early retirements during/following the pandemic. 

All this will do is make the tough lives of 120,000 people in poverty even tougher. 

I wonder when they will turn to the ageing population and force 65-75 year olds back to work - after all they are costing much more than they paid into the state pension pot. 

• Like 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

4 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I assume the 120,000 you mention that are working and claiming benefits are committing benefit fraud.  Do you think they shouldn't be chasing them.  Should they allow people to steal from the public purse? 

No, not at all. These 120k people are working part-time and are entitled to claim top-up benefits. But Kwarteng is now targeting those benefit entitlements as a money-grab opportunity. Instead of looking elsewhere (billionaires, mega-corps) for the few million he will likely save. Tory Britain.

2 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I wonder when they will turn to the ageing population and force 65-75 year olds back to work - after all they are costing much more than they paid into the state pension pot. 

You're right. They're already making noises about lack of spend from the over 50s being partly responsible for the economic crisis. Probably the next cohort they'll go after once they're done with low earners.

Edited by s713

7 minutes ago, s713 said:

No, not at all. These 120k people are working part-time and are entitled to claim top-up benefits. But Kwarteng is now targeting those benefit entitlements as a money-grab opportunity. Instead of looking elsewhere (billionaires, mega-corps) for the few million he will likely save. Tory Britain.

I disagree.  I don't think it's a money grabbing opportunity.  It's a diversion - they want the average man and woman to look "down" the earnings ladder, not "up" at the removal of the bankers bonus cap and high earners tax breaks.

Let's look at the numbers.

120,000 people who currently work part time for between 12 hours and 15 hours a week will now find themselves affected by the earnings threshold change. 

120,000 people will therefore have to work UP TO 3 hours move a week, earning UP TO an extra £27.50. 

So a maximum of £3.3m additional earnings.

Since they earn below the tax free threshold they won't be taxpayers, so there's no more money coming into the public purse, but there is up to that £3.3m not going out.....  

.....which is such an infintessimally small number when you compare it to:

• the billions the UK gov refuses to go after in windfall tax opportunities,
  • the £1.7bn cost of tax avoidance p.a.
  • the £4.6b of tax evasion p.a.
  • the £16bn lost to covid loan fraud
  • the £4b spent on unuseable PPE
  • the £9.24bn lost revene from the removal of the national insurance rise (28m ppl X £330 a year avg according to government)

It's just the usual tactic of creating an enemy to divert attention.  And it works.  Many people will jump to the same conclusion as Tulip did because it's a carefully worded policy change intended to do exactly that.

• Like 3

On 26/04/2022 at 03:40, beketamun said:

To get back to the point of the thread, I noticed that the 90% lean beef mince has gone up to $9.50 in Coles from $8, but weirdly lamb mince was only $7 this weekend when you'd have expected that to be about $12 in comparison! 

Costco's good meat like wagyu has gone up a lot, or it isn't in stock currently (maybe due to the holidays).  We buy meat from a local organic farm now, once a month.  They do these unbeatable 45 day bone-in rib-eyes but you have to get in early with an order or it's gone.  $82 a kilo, though we'll move on to brisket when the cold weather comes and the slow cooker comes out !

That mince price is for 500gms. The best mince I can buy is from Costco but you have to buy at least 3 kilos. Last time I went it was still at $9 a kilo but I bought 3 packs so it's a couple of months since I last went.

If you look at the price rises in percentages and compare it to inflation, there certainly is a lot of price gouging taking place at both Woolies and Coles. eg soft burger buns rise from $2 to $2.50 (25%)  and they've really gone to town on all pie prices (not that I buy many). Hebert Adams pies on "special" 😂 had a 40% price reduction the other week which left the price at 20cents higher than the price 2 months ago. They seem to think that small rises such as 50cents go un-noticed but on a previously $2 item that is shameful and  I personally always view in percentages. The big price hikes seem to be aimed at "low end consumers" although I hope that doesn't sound a bit snobbish.

Their media blah blah that they've both pushed about lowering and fixing  "essentials" prices is a load of rubbish eg Flora Margarine being reduced from $8.50 to $8. They fail to mention that they'd only recently just upped it from $7 and they have done the same snide trick with other "essentials"....................they must think we're All thick! 🤬

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

From what I have read it seems those who work less than 16 hours a week and get universal credit will be encouraged to work more hours and face having some benefits cut if they don’t.  While I appreciate some can’t, I’m sure many could.  I see nothing wrong with trying to get people to work more hours when they are capable of doing so. 

• Like 1