Shipping price increase?

5Evns

Hi guys,

Does anyone know much about the price increases in March for shipping to Aus? I’ve been told they could roughly be around £2k extra on top of quotes given now. I thought maybe a few hundred is understandable but a couple of thousands is a huge increase 😞 

Since costs are still rising, all the estimates I'm getting for a summer move are very careful to specify that the estimates are non binding.....

I'm wondering how far in advance the freight forwarding companies are willing to give binding price.  

Availability and cost of shipping containers is expected to remain very challenging for the rest of the year.  There is also I believe fewer container ships routing to Australia as there is more money in Asia / US routes at present.  Assume whatever they tell you it can be 2-3k more come the final invoice.  It isn't their fault, it is just the market.

On 03/02/2022 at 13:15, Cath.C said:

'm wondering how far in advance the freight forwarding companies are willing to give binding price.  

i was told that even if I would book today it wouldn't be shipped ( shared container) before the 1st March increase will apply .  

When i read my quotations , i always find this line :

1.2 We may change the price or make additional charges if circumstances are found to apply which have not been taken into account when preparing our quotation and confirmed by us in writing. These include:

1.2.1 You do not accept our quotation in writing within 28 days, or the work is not carried out or completed within three months.

1.2.2 Our costs change because of currency fluctuations or changes in taxation or freight charges beyond our control.

these are expensive times at the moment  😟

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

Been reading the posts about this price increase and am now more confused than ever.

I was speaking to a mover on Friday (moving UK to Melb) and they told me that on 1st March the increase will be 200 - 300%,has anyone also been told this?

I am still waiting for a few more quotes to come in as well as the formal quote from this mover,but to hear that kind of news is disheartening.

• 4 weeks later...

You do have to add up how much it would cost to replace all that stuff (those prices have risen too) to decide if it is worth taking everything. You need to assess this for insurance anyway.  It used to be a no brainer costing a lot less to ship than to replace but now……

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daffyduck said:

We've started having that discussion. It depends how much my wife's future employer is willing to cover, they said they would cover all costs associated with the move but we don't want to be seen to be taking the mick.

I say, get over it.  Start leaving stuff behind because you're too embarrassed to charge for shipping, and you're just storing up extra cost.

They won't think you're taking the mick if you're able to show them three quotes for the shipping.  If you're worried, your wife could contact them saying she wants to clarify the amount they're willing to pay and giving them a ballpark figure.  

21 hours ago, Daffyduck said:

We've started having that discussion. It depends how much my wife's future employer is willing to cover, they said they would cover all costs associated with the move but we don't want to be seen to be taking the mick.

Generally, Australian companies don't have issues spending money - unlike the British.

I am beyond devastated. We shipped with PSS two weeks ago and today I have received an email, as the entire contents of our home are sailing off the coast of Egypt, advising of a rate increase and a request to pay an additional £2k within seven days. Has anyone had anything similar happen? This will bring our total to £6.5k which I am not sure we would have paid had we known in advance. Really not sure what our options are. So so gutted! 

I'm so sorry to hear that, that's terrible . Did PSS say what it is for . 

I thought once you sign the contract, paid and the ship has sailed, that should be it other than Port congestion or demurrage charges. 

I know that there was a fee increase at the beginning of March so that should have already been included if yours only left 2weeks ago

4 hours ago, returningtooz said:

I am beyond devastated. We shipped with PSS two weeks ago and today I have received an email, as the entire contents of our home are sailing off the coast of Egypt, advising of a rate increase and a request to pay an additional £2k within seven days. Has anyone had anything similar happen? This will bring our total to £6.5k which I am not sure we would have paid had we known in advance. Really not sure what our options are. So so gutted! 

Check your contract.  You'll probably find it allows for price increases.   It's not something that happened much in the old days, so people didn't notice it in the contract.

I'd say you dont have a choice.  Don't pay, and I assume they'll offload it somewhere.