Suburb for a cafe loving 50 year old?

CatMoose

Hi all

I'm moving back to Oz next January, possibly Melbourne for work reasons.  While I loved Melbourne 15 years ago for its hustle and bustle, I'm now after a quieter life without it being completely dead! I'm after nice cafes and restaurants and not too far from the CBD. 

Any ideas?

What’s your price range? 

There are so many choices it’s hard to know where to begin so price will decide it I think. 

North you’ve got Northcote, West I’d go Yarraville or Seddon, Bayside Hampton or Sandringham, or you could look at Dockside as a place to get started while you look around. There is a very lively group of young semi retirees on Dockside, very popular with downsizers

Edited by Marisawright

34 minutes ago, kmrg said:

Kensington 3031.

Close to CBD 2 train lines, tram and bus, nice cafes and a couple of restaurants, but pretty quiet. 

Site of the old abbatoirs and cattle yards of Melbourne.  Still a lot of housing commission homes (that's council housing equivalent) but is certainly being gentrified quickly.  

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Tomdickanarry said:

Having lived in Camberwell for a good few years, I'd say it is ideally suited to your requirements.

Do tell me more about Camberwell.   We've been living in inner-city Melbourne for the last 6 years but Covid has changed our habits and attitudes and we are debating a move to the burbs.  

Three tram lines (70, 72 and 75)

Three train lines (Alamein, Lilydale and Belgrave)

Super town centre with all the high street regulars, K-Mart and regular Sunday craft and flea market

Market hall selling typical fruit and veg, meats, deli etc

Numerous coffee shops, cafes, bars and more restaurants than you can shake a stick at

22 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Do tell me more about Camberwell.   We've been living in inner-city Melbourne for the last 6 years but Covid has changed our habits and attitudes and we are debating a move to the burbs.  

Just get the train to Camberwell one day and explore Burke Rd and around Camberwell Junction. You will probably like it. But that area is very crowded. Not much fun to drive around.

If I had the money to buy living around Camberwell, Canterbury, or Hawthorn would be nice.

You might even bump into Kylie or Danii when your out doing your shopping.

27 minutes ago, Parley said:

Just get the train to Camberwell one day and explore Burke Rd and around Camberwell Junction. You will probably like it. But that area is very crowded. Not much fun to drive around.

Ah, but there are so many suburbs I could catch the train to, it's knowing where to start that's the problem.