Jump to content
HannahKC

PR visa with Autistic son

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

I have been offered sponsorship on 186 DE visa recently. My 10yr old son has been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. He is in mainstream school, functioning well. Independent with his daily needs. About to sit his SATs this year. He doesn't require a 1-1 that I'm told in school and he hasn't got a EHCP in place. I'm just looking on good outcomes for being granted a visa for myself and my family. Is there any information I could gather to help with the process? 

Thanks in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can ask school to write a letter stating that he doesn’t need 1:1 support, he manages well in the mainstream environment and the projection is that he will maintain a mainstream placement. All this kind of evidence will help. 🙂

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you 😊  I'm going to write a list of what I need from school etc. Ive just been reading stories of those unsuccessful. Tryin to remain positive 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Include the assessments that lead to the diagnosis along with updated cognitive assessment and adaptive behaviour assessment from his current school, also a current skill level.  It's not the label that is the sticking point for visas it's the level of functioning. So if you can demonstrate that functioning level is within the normal range and that additional support is not likely (and you wouldn't be eligible for additional support in Australia) then it should be OK. The fact that he isn't statemented but it's coping ok independently is a good start. 

It's very much a catch 22 - if he's eligible for disability support in Australia he's more likely to be rejected for a visa.

Edited by Quoll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where do I get the cognitive assessment and behavioural assessment? Is that from school or educational psychologist? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HannahKC said:

Where do I get the cognitive assessment and behavioural assessment? Is that from school or educational psychologist? 

Educational psychologist. Wasn't there a full cognitive assessment done as part of the work up for diagnosis? The adaptive behaviour is a questionnaire that the Psych gives to the people working with him. The school can probably address current skill level but an Ed Psych can do it too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got a letter documenting everything at the assessment. I will have to ask for the questionnaire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HannahKC said:

We got a letter documenting everything at the assessment. I will have to ask for the questionnaire

Yup, you are aiming to prove that there is no impairment despite the label.  Doesn't sound like he would be eligible for any support in Australia anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would strongly recommend you get in touch with an immigration agent who specialises in visas where a family member has a disability. We used George Lombard, he’s in Sydney and it was all done by phone. You need the correct information presented in the best way to make sure your application is successful.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gaia said:

I would strongly recommend you get in touch with an immigration agent who specialises in visas where a family member has a disability. We used George Lombard, he’s in Sydney and it was all done by phone. You need the correct information presented in the best way to make sure your application is successful.

Very good point!!!  But gathering the basic information and getting ahead of the game is a good start.  

Edited by Quoll
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, definitely gathering information now will be useful. If your child has an iq test which shows they’re within the average range that would be useful. And a letter from the school stating they don’t receive any support in class etc. Australian immigration are very strict, we wouldn’t have received our visas without the guidance we received. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you get an IQ test?  

How did you go about schools in Australia? Are they inclusive of people with Autism?  We're applying to WA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HannahKC said:

How did you get an IQ test?  

How did you go about schools in Australia? Are they inclusive of people with Autism?  We're applying to WA. 

Did he have an IQ test as part of his original assessment? If it's within 2 years it's current but if it's older than that and in the normal range they may accept it. If he hasn't had one then an Ed Psych would do the job. You may have  to get it done privately.

Schools are inclusive - they aren't allowed to be anything else. However, and here's the catch 22 again, if you think he's going to need special treatment because of the label then that's where you're going to have trouble with the visa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did an iq test privately through a psychologist. You may be able to get one through school,but wait times can be long. We’ve found schools as inclusive as in the Uk, that is some great, some okay, some lousy. We don’t live in Wa and the states are all quite different in policies. The other thing to say is that the education system is very different to England. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2022 at 07:27, HannahKC said:

Hi, 

I have been offered sponsorship on 186 DE visa recently. My 10yr old son has been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. He is in mainstream school, functioning well. Independent with his daily needs. About to sit his SATs this year. He doesn't require a 1-1 that I'm told in school and he hasn't got a EHCP in place. I'm just looking on good outcomes for being granted a visa for myself and my family. Is there any information I could gather to help with the process? 

Thanks in advance 

We have been in this situation before, my son has autism and he was 9 years old when our 186 DE was rejected. Depending on your occupation, you will have chance to execute a Health Waiver in case your visa got rejected. At this point, I would suggest you get an assessment from the specialist(Psychologist, OT, Speech, Pedia). Talk to them to give you positive reports although most of the time they will be honest with their findings. These reports will be use as basis for the MOC to provide estimate on the cost that the government will spend on your son for his welfare, schools, etc.

If ever you reach to a point that you need to appeal your case to AAT, PM me I'm willing to share information on how we won our case. Don't lose hope, look for a good immigration lawyer who is passionate and will fight for your case -- he/she doesn't need to be famous on Google search! 

All the best!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2022 at 07:27, HannahKC said:

Hi, 

I have been offered sponsorship on 186 DE visa recently. My 10yr old son has been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. He is in mainstream school, functioning well. Independent with his daily needs. About to sit his SATs this year. He doesn't require a 1-1 that I'm told in school and he hasn't got a EHCP in place. I'm just looking on good outcomes for being granted a visa for myself and my family. Is there any information I could gather to help with the process? 

Thanks in advance 

If you are able to qualify under the 186 TRT pathway, you should consider this as it has a Health Waiver provision which DE does not. 

  • Like 1

Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't disclose to Medical team about Autism or any other medical related issue otherwise, they will ask you to provide recent/update reports. Try to hide the issue as maximum as possible & stick to the point. I have faced the same issue for my daughter & got Natural Justice Letter in 2019. My case is still in Received status.

Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IIQ said:

Don't disclose to Medical team about Autism or any other medical related issue otherwise, they will ask you to provide recent/update reports. Try to hide the issue as maximum as possible & stick to the point. I have faced the same issue for my daughter & got Natural Justice Letter in 2019. My case is still in Received status.

Best of luck!

Really? Lie to Immigration? Never a really wise move. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, IIQ said:

Don't disclose to Medical team about Autism or any other medical related issue otherwise, they will ask you to provide recent/update reports. Try to hide the issue as maximum as possible & stick to the point. I have faced the same issue for my daughter & got Natural Justice Letter in 2019. My case is still in Received status.

Best of luck!

Just about the worst advice to give anyone. Never lie to Immigration, they have long memories, many ways of establishing the facts, and they are also known to browse forums like this........

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×